Tank removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank removal

Hi there, just getting my way to my recently bought Versys. Question Is it true you need to take off the gas from the tank to dismount?? Is there a stopcock or something similar?
Thanks for all your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM

You do not have to remove the petrol from the tank when you want to remove it.

rgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizellu View Post
Hi there, just getting my way to my recently bought Versys. Question Is it true you need to take off the gas from the tank to dismount?? Is there a stopcock or something similar?
Thanks for all your help!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM

There is no stop-**** for the fuel tank. It's easier to siphon out most of the fuel so you don't have to manage the extra weight. For changing spark plugs, cleaning the intake-air filter, you can just raise the tank enough to do the job (tie it up, turn it and set it on a bench) without complete removal and disconnecting the various lines.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I just unhooked the 2 lines and sat the tank over the seat area and strapped it to the bike.

IMG_0557 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I've disconnected all the lines and removed the tank a few times. For me, it's important to have less fuel in it to reduce its weight. Some listers are rather intimidated in removing the fuel line, because - do it wrong and you break the fitting. If you read up on how it's done a few times before doing it, it'll become relatively simple.

Don't do it from this post - READ the manual. What you do is pull back a 'gate' that locks the fitting by using a slot screwdriver (around 1/4" blade) that JUST fits. Insert it, then turn it 90 degrees aprox. and the gate moves out and the fitting is apart. Wrap a rag around it as it WILL leak some gas once it's apart.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM

No, you don't have to drain the tank to remove it. It just makes moving it around easier. The fuel line is super easy to release. Plus - everything is easier with the tank off and safely away from the bike. You don't have to worry about dinging it with a tool or accidently having it drop to the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode