Brake pad life span - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By El Tig
  • 1 Post By Buckeye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake pad life span

Hello, I was wondering how many miles folks are getting from their front and back brake pads before replacing. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm right around 55k and am on my third set of front pads. I use sintered pads. I still have my original rear pads as I seldom use the rear brake.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

I’ve got 36,000 miles on the OEM pads and they’re getting fairly close to the service limits.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just went out and looked at mine, that have just about 30,000 miles on them. Without removing the pads to ACCURATELY check remaining pad thickness, I get .150" remaining. When compared with NEW at .18" and SERVICE LIMIT at .04" in my service manual - I have LOTS left. The rear pads also have lots.

I'm retired, so when I go for a ride it's generally a LONG one, which may explain why I've used up so little of my pads.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Commute daily but still got about 33,000 on front pads. Probably had a few thousand more in them. Replaced with OEM for $104.00.
Did the replacement myself. Well, kinda. I sat on the seat and pumped the brakes when my car mechanic friend told me to.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Never had a bike long enough to go through the brakes.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Never had a bike long enough to go through the brakes.
Hope it would a different story with the V

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to JULIO
It is best to go looking progressively wear.

The wear depends on how each driver, but they last many miles.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Commute daily but still got about 33,000 on front pads. Probably had a few thousand more in them. Replaced with OEM for $104.00.
Did the replacement myself. Well, kinda. I sat on the seat and pumped the brakes when my car mechanic friend told me to.

Just a commuter, and I got about 25k out of the OEM fronts--they weren't completely shot, but I got my money's worth. Replaced them with EBC HH pads for about $80...wish I went with the OEMs.
OEM rear pads show some wear but are still alive....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Brake pad wear would depend on your riding aggression and style. However, always good to check them thickness visually and replace when the pad thickness comes to the marks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Good info

My car's factory brake pads lasted as about long as the tires ~60k
I was curious if it was the same deal for motorcycles (i.e. tires and brakes last 5-10k range)

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback. You guys are great. I am preparing for a 5,000 mile trip. Ive got 10,000 on the factory brakes. The brakes look good I was just curious of what to expect. Thanks again. Gregory
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrow View Post
I appreciate the feedback. You guys are great. I am preparing for a 5,000 mile trip. Ive got 10,000 on the factory brakes. The brakes look good I was just curious of what to expect. Thanks again. Gregory
Where ya going???

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:54 PM

Cool Versys 650 2015 Normal touring on hilly curvy roads

Versys 650 2015 Normal touring on hilly curvy roads. I am replacing all OEM brake pads at 24000km (15000 miles). The rear is not fully worn. Also the brake fluid is changed. (DOT 4 to DOT 5.1, they are compatible with each other and the latter has a higher boiling point)

Last edited by Huntiger; 09-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode