Anyone who's taken off their swingarm ... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone who's taken off their swingarm ...

can you tell me what kind of shape the bearing was in on your bike? When I took off the swingarm tonight to grease the needle bearings (per tomla and invader's recommendations) I found the sealed bearing quite stiff. It would move through about a centimetre arc but it certainly would not rotate all the way around. It doesn't really have to move a whole lot but I'm concerned that it should move more freely than it does. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your sealed bearing should be replaced. See pages 450 to 453 in 2007 Service Manual.

•Turn the bearing in the swingarm back and forth while checking for plays, roughness, or binding. If the bearing play, roughness, or binding is found, replace the bearing.
•Examine the bearing seal for tears or leakage. If the seal is torn or is leaking, replace the bearing.

I'm removing my swingarm again soon to clean, inspect and grease it up, and I'll also remove the needle bearings' polyethylene assembly compound which is taking up most of the available space for proper grease.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

This is what I figured, thanks for the confirmation. I'll take everything apart again and pull the bearing. It looks about the same size as a wheel bearing so chances are my dealer will have it in stock. Nice that they're not too expensive too. Cheers invader.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 AM

92046-0008 Ball bearing # 6004UL11 (Single row angular contact with light preload) Retail $8.70 Part Shark $6.05.

92049-1185 Oil seal # TC28426.5 Retail $5.88 Part Shark $4.09.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...008&fveh=38805
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, have you ordered from them? I try to support the dealer unless their price is outrageously higher. They tested my stator for free and I was able to talk to the mechanic to get some tips about installing the new one, so they're good guys. Their parts prices are marginally higher than internet but it's worth a lot to me that they have a strong business.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 AM

I haven't ordered from them, but other forum members have... It should cost much less from Kawasaki dealer without the shipping cost, and Canadian retail should be only marginally more on such low price parts. I guess you're not dealing with GoodTime Kawasaki dealer in Ottawa if you're getting good trustworthy service.

Specific 6004UL11 bearing is different from wheel bearings, but is also used in other Kawasaki models' swingarm.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

In fact it is the Goodtime Centre, but I only buy parts from them, they don't work on the bike. And even then, it's not all parts. I feel they gouge a bit on tires, so I get my tires from Pete's Superbike, outside of Montreal. Shipping for a set of tires is $15, and very good prices on the tires themselves. OGC is convenient for me, about 15 mins. away, and they can get parts in 2 business days. I sometimes find it helpful to talk through maintenance tasks which I haven't attempted before, and I've found them quite helpful with that. The other thing is it's just nice to walk into a dealership and the guy who sold me the bike 5 years ago still remembers my name. I like that. But I know some people don't like them - some people over on ADVRider have expressed dissatisfaction with this or that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode