Ballistic Battery = Lose 8 lbs... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ballistic Battery = Lose 8 lbs...

My local dealer is having a going out of business sale and I bought a Ballistic EVO2 Lightweight Battery for $100... Normally $160...Man...this battery is super lite...Lithium Ion Type... 8 Cell ...I used some foam to take up the space, because it's much smaller and so far so good...I did notice that my 2009 stock Yuasa battery ,with 20,000 miles ,was 10 lbs. and that this Ballistic is 2 lbs. I can feel a small improvement in a left right transition when you flick the bike quickly cornering ...You all need one of these cool batteries so go for this new technology...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballistic_8cell_evo2_600.jpg (67.6 KB, 108 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
I can feel a small improvement in a left right transition when you flick the bike quickly cornering...
Sorry, but I call BS. ~6 lbs is about the weight of a gallon of gas. Our bikes change 4-5 gallons between full and near empty.

The only difference in the feel I notice is in the weight of gas ONLY at a stop, and after just filling up. I don't feel the weight difference underway.

Glad you like your battery, but the difference in handling is likely in your head.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Weight Loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Sorry, but I call BS. ~6 lbs is about the weight of a gallon of gas. Our bikes change 4-5 gallons between full and near empty.

The only difference in the feel I notice is in the weight of gas ONLY at a stop, and after just filling up. I don't feel the weight difference underway.

Glad you like your battery, but the difference in handling is likely in your head.
Man, don't be such a party pooper...I can guarantee you...with 100% certainty...that my wallet is $100 lighter...he he

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
I can guarantee you...with 100% certainty...that my wallet is $100 lighter...he he
Now that is something I can believe in!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Good deal with an advanced battery to boot.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Please keep us posted after you've used this for a while. Im paranoid of Lith ion batteries after a camera battery exploded in a studio once, the debris field was 20 feet and started several chairs on fire (see pics). I definately felt the difference from removing the trellis, grab bars, stock muffler, half tank gas etc when it comes to flicking side to side. Unfortunately I ride my Versys like a cruiser so I prefered the slower, more stable stock setup. The difference is real, even if you personally dont notice it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (54.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (64.6 KB, 122 views)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Please keep us posted after you've used this for a while. Im paranoid of Lith ion batteries after a camera battery exploded in a studio once, the debris field was 20 feet and started several chairs on fire (see pics). I definately felt the difference from removing the trellis, grab bars, stock muffler, half tank gas etc when it comes to flicking side to side. Unfortunately I ride my Versys like a cruiser so I prefered the slower, more stable stock setup. The difference is real, even if you personally dont notice it.
Did you ever determine what caused the battery to explode?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lithium-ion battery advantages and disadvantages:

Note that both advantages and disadvantages depend on the materials and design that make up the battery. This summary reflects older designs that use carbon anode, metal oxide cathodes, and lithium salt in an organic solvent for the electrolyte.

Advantages:

-Wide variety of shapes and sizes efficiently fitting the devices they power.
-Much lighter than other energy-equivalent secondary batteries.
-High open circuit voltage in comparison to aqueous batteries (such as lead acid, nickel-metal hydride and nickel-cadmium).This is beneficial because it increases the amount of power that can be transferred at a lower current.
-No memory effect.
-Self-discharge rate of approximately 5-10% per month, compared to over 30% per month in common nickel metal hydride batteries, approximately 1.25% per month for Low Self-Discharge NiMH batteries and 10% per month in nickel-cadmium batteries. According to one manufacturer, lithium-ion cells (and, accordingly, "dumb" lithium-ion batteries) do not have any self-discharge in the usual meaning of this word. What looks like a self-discharge in these batteries is a permanent loss of capacity (see Disadvantages). On the other hand, "smart" lithium-ion batteries do self-discharge, due to the drain of the built-in voltage monitoring circuit.
-Components are environmentally safe as there is no free lithium metal.

Disadvantages:

-Cell life
-Charging forms deposits inside the electrolyte that inhibit ion transport. Over time, the cell's capacity diminishes. The increase in internal resistance reduces the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. The decrease means that older batteries do not charge as much as new ones (charging time required decreases proportionally).
-High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss. Charging heat is caused by the carbon anode (typically replaced with lithium titanate which drastically reduces damage from charging, including expansion and other factors).
-Internal resistance. The internal resistance of standard (Cobalt) lithium-ion batteries is high compared to both other rechargeable chemistries such as nickel-metal hydride and nickel-cadmium, and LiFePO4 and lithium-polymer cells. Internal resistance increases with both cycling and age. Rising internal resistance causes the voltage at the terminals to drop under load, which reduces the maximum current draw. Eventually increasing resistance means that the battery can no longer operate for an adequate period.
-To power larger devices, such as electric cars, connecting many small batteries in a parallel circuit is more effective and efficient than connecting a single large battery.

Safety requirements:

If overheated or overcharged, Li-ion batteries may suffer thermal runaway and cell rupture. In extreme cases this can lead to combustion. Deep discharge may short-circuit the cell, in which case recharging would be unsafe. To reduce these risks, Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell. When stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage; normal chargers are then ineffective. Many types of lithium-ion cell cannot be charged safely below 0°C.

Other safety features are required in each cell:
-Shut-down separator (for overtemperature)
-Tear-away tab (for internal pressure)
-Vent (pressure relief)
-Thermal interrupt (overcurrent/overcharging)

These devices occupy useful space inside the cells, add additional points of failure and irreversibly disable the cell when activated. They are required because the anode produces heat during use, while the cathode may produce oxygen. These devices and improved electrode designs reduce/eliminate the risk of fire or explosion.

These safety features increase costs compared to nickel metal hydride batteries, which require only a hydrogen/oxygen recombination device (preventing damage due to mild overcharging) and a back-up pressure valve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM

"Ballistic Performance Component Batteries use the latest, state of the art lithium ferrous energy storage technology..."

http://www.ballisticparts.com/

The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery, also called LFP battery, is a type of rechargeable battery, specifically a lithium-ion battery, which uses LiFePO4 as a cathode material... The LiFePO4 battery uses a lithium-ion-derived chemistry and shares many of its advantages and disadvantages with other Lithium-ion battery chemistries.

However, one key advantage over other lithium-ion batteries is the superior thermal and chemical stability, which provides better safety characteristics than lithium-ion batteries with other cathode materials. Due to significantly stronger bonds between the oxygen atoms in the phosphate (compared to the cobalt), oxygen is not readily released, and as a result, lithium iron phosphate cells are virtually incombustible in the event of mishandling during charge or discharge, and can handle high temperatures without decomposing.

Lithium iron phosphate chemistry also offers a longer cycle life over standard lithium-ion cells.

The use of phosphates also reduces the cost and environmental concerns of Cobalt cells, particularly in regards of cobalt entering the environment through improper disposal, with considerably increased safety over the cobalt chemistry type of lithium battery cell, particularly when compared to LiPo battery cells commonly used in the aeromodeling hobby.

One of the other major advantages for LiFePO4 when compared with LiCoO2 is higher current or peak-power rating.

LFP batteries have some drawbacks:
1.The energy density (energy/volume) of a new LFP battery is somewhat lower than that of a new LiCoO2 battery. (14% reduction in energy density) Battery manufacturers across the world are currently working to find ways to maximize the energy storage performance and reduce size & weight.
2.Many brands of LFPs have a low discharge rate compared with lead-acid or LiCoO2. Since discharge rate is a percentage of battery capacity this can be overcome by using a larger battery (more ampère-hours). However, A123Systems claims 100C pulse discharge rate.

While LiFePO4 cells have lower voltage and energy density than LiCoO2 Li-ion cells, this disadvantage is offset over time by the slower rate of capacity loss (aka greater calendar-life) of LiFePO4 when compared with other lithium-ion battery chemistries (such as LiCoO2 cobalt or LiMn2O4 manganese spinel based lithium-ion polymer batteries or lithium-ion batteries). For example:
-After one year on the shelf, a LiFePO4 cell typically has approximately the same energy density as a LiCoO2-Li-ion cell.
-Beyond one year on the shelf, a LiFePO4 cell is likely to have higher energy density than a LiCoO2 Li-ion cell due to the differences in their respective calendar-lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...sphate_battery

Last edited by invader; 12-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 AM

The battery was charging and this happened overnight. The battery was inside the case when it exploded. There were 3 batteries in identical cases, you can see the remains of the 2 that didn't blow up. These cases are super strong and hard to destroy. A trailer caught on fire from the same thing (during the filming of Dark Knight I believe). No more unattended batteries allowed. This is an extreme case but imagine if someone was sitting in those directors chairs, the two chairs that burned up were removed before I could take a pic of them. Looked like charcoal.

Last edited by chitownpete; 12-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Are you suggesting not buying a Ballistic EVO2 Lightweight Battery?

http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-PERFORMANCE-LITHIUM-EVO2-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B005KLOYYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
The battery was charging and this happened overnight. The battery was inside the case when it exploded. There were 3 batteries in identical cases, you can see the remains of the 2 that didn't blow up. These cases are super strong and hard to destroy. A trailer caught on fire from the same thing (during the filming of Dark Knight I believe). No more unattended batteries allowed. This is an extreme case but imagine if someone was sitting in those directors chairs, the two chairs that burned up were removed before I could take a pic of them. Looked like charcoal.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

How about Shorai? Saw these at the International Moto Show last weekend....

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-105488-KLE650-Versys.aspx

I guess this is why they are concerned about the Chevy Volt, which has a heck of a lot of battery power.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=cmoreride;180414]Are you suggesting not buying a Ballistic EVO2 Lightweight Battery?

Not at all, less is more. Just a little scared thats all. I think the weight loss will be noticeable. I just want others to be the guinea pig.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
How about Shorai? Saw these at the International Moto Show last weekend....

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-105488-KLE650-Versys.aspx
One of the magazines did a revue of the new Li-iron batteries and the Shorai did not impress for the reason that the battery terminals were a bit flimsy. The reviewer believed that in a bike application the terminals could be damaged due to the vibration on most bikes.

Another consideration is that these new batteries require a specific type of charger. It's not recommended to leave them on a battery tender, although for quick top-ups apparently the BT will work. The charger is another $75 or so.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Many types of lithium-ion cell cannot be charged safely below 0°C.

Well if this applies to a MC battery I'm out...my V sits in cold weather all winter with battery tender on it....

I think I'll try to lose 8lbs off my mid section instead...
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Exclamation

Ballistic EVO2 Batteries 3 Year Limited Warranty

Conditions not covered under warranty:

◦ Hard short of the terminals by direct contact.
◦ Damage from emersion in liquid.
◦ Cell chemistry damage as a result of being drained below 9.0 Volts.
◦ Abuse or physical damage of any kind.
◦ Over charging or damage as a result of a defective or improper external charger.
◦ Over charging or damage as a result of a defective onboard charging system.
◦ Damage from use in excess of cranking capacity.
◦ Damage to terminals due to torque in excess of 5 ft-lbs.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/about/warranty.php

WARNINGS:

◦ Do not charge a Ballistic Performance Component Battery above 14.4 Volts. This could damage the battery.
◦ Do not allow the battery to be drained below 9.0V, this will damage the cells. If your powersports vehicle has a parasitic draw like an alarm or similar devices, disconnect the battery when not in use. If the battery is allowed to be drained below 9.0V, it may not recharge to its maximum capacity. If the battery does become discharged, recharge immediately.
◦ Do not attempt to charge a Ballistic Performance Component Battery that is below 6.0Volts. A Lithium battery below 6.0V is considered dead.

Failure to adhere to these charging specifications or exceeding these limits may cause battery failure and will void any potential warranty claim.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/downlo...structions.pdf

Last edited by invader; 12-13-2011 at 09:30 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

They ain't called "ballistic" for nothing...

j/k, enjoy weight reduction if you like it.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Invader... LOL

You could save yourself some work by posting:

"Check out the pros and cons of Lithium Batteries here:"

Then post link to wiki .... lol

Or better yet, "Hey check out wiki on the pros and cons of Lithium batteries, interesting read" ...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 AM

I've got a 4-cell Evo2 on my KLX250S EFI version.

The weight saving over conventional battery is huge.

However, the drawback is that you will need to avoid continuous battery draw when the engine is off.

Try keeping my single 55W bulb on for a few minutes and then there would not be enough juice to power on my KLX.

Also, the battery voltage drops rather quickly once it's going to deplete. Don't try to start the motor with the starter at that moment. It will not start and just drain all the battery and leave no chance for you to push start as no power for the fuel pump and fuel injector, etc.

Use the battery carefully.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Invader... LOL

You could save yourself some work by posting:

"Check out the pros and cons of Lithium Batteries here:"

Then post link to wiki .... lol

Or better yet, "Hey check out wiki on the pros and cons of Lithium batteries, interesting read" ...
Thanks for all you do here, Invader.
We've got a queer here trying to correct you.
You've been a big help across the board--stay true, despite these loosers.
How egotistical can this punk get???
Gay-Dez--Step to it Bra'...I"ll give you a chance....We're close enough for you to arrange it....

stop antagonizing people, punk ass. Or....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode