Powerlet sockets both dead on bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Powerlet sockets both dead on bike?

Hello all --

Let me preface this by admitting that I have practically no knowledge when it comes to electrical systems on vehicles. So I am going to describe what I experienced with my 2008 Versys this morning and I'm hoping you'll suggest things I can check.

I rode the bike to work and back home yesterday. I used my heated gear for the first time this fall during the ride -- a Tourmaster Synergy heated vest plugged into a Powerlet socket installed on the dash. Things were fine, the bike started right up each time, my heated vest worked great turned up to high.

Went out this morning to get on the bike to ride to work. The bike started fine. Plugged my heated vest into the Powerlet socket on my dash, clicked the on button, and.... nothing. No power to the vest at all.

Okay, I have a second Powerlet outlet on the side of the bike that I use for the battery tender, so I plugged the vest into that. Nothing. No power there, either.

What the heck? Is it the vest or the bike? To find out, I got my battery tender and plugged it into the side Powerlet socket. The battery tender's red LED flashed continuously, indicating that the battery was not connected to the tender.

So what did I do? Is this likely to be a fuse problem? Is something shorted somewhere? Or, in reading the recent threads about stators and regulator/rectifier failures, is *that* what might be going on?

Again, I'm pretty clueless about electrical stuff, so if you want, you can laugh at me and then use very small words (I *might* be able to understand)

Thanks!

========
steph moore
New Mexico, USA
2008 Versys (a/k/a Hellboy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Sounds like a fuse assuming that both outlets are on one circuit. Track down the fuse (probably inline) and check it. With out knowing exactly how the outlets are wired to the bike its little hard to diagnose but those are very simple circuits should be wired directly to the battery with a fuse inline somewhere.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 AM

The Fuse would go first before any of the sensitive circuits or relays. Check them fuses and you'll probably find one that is burnt. Check current usage of the equipment versus the the fuse rating.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode