Clicking Around Front Sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clicking Around Front Sprocket

This is my first bike. I believe I over tightened the chain my first time around and have since figured out how to adjust it effectively. However after I noticed a fairly loud clicking sound that I can almost hear over the engine and if I hold in the clutch it becomes extremely noticeable. The pace is very quick, I would say it clicks once or more per rotation of the front sprocket. The clicking is barely noticeable in 1st gear and increasingly more noticeable as I go faster and shift up.

I noticed my chain was a bit unevenly stretched - maybe differing by an inch or less from tight to loose so I replaced the chain. I'm not sure about my riveting so I'm going to redo that tonight. However the sound did not stop and does not appear to be related to the master link. It seems to be tied to the front sprocket.

The sprocket it's self does not appear to be damaged and I've wiped down the area multiple times looking for debris but have not found anything. For the life of me I can't figure out what is making the noise.

I tried spraying lube on the sprocket and it did not reduce the noise.

My questions are, can I remove the chain and run the engine to see if is related to the chain making noise by it's self or by contact with the sprocket by removing it from the picture? Is that safe for the engine/transmission?

Are there any suggestions on what might be making the sound and how to get rid of it? I thought about replacing the socket.. seemed like there was a chance that was it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM

How many miles do you have on the old chain and sprockets?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neospud1 View Post
My questions are, can I remove the chain and run the engine to see if is related to the chain making noise by it's self or by contact with the sprocket by removing it from the picture? Is that safe for the engine/transmission?
Yes.
There won't be a load on your engine, the SAME as if it were in neutral and you revved it, so TAKE IT EASY!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 AM

Try getting the bike's rear on a rear stand. Turn the wheel and hear if abnormal noise from the front sprocket and chain.
Probably one of the chain link is tight.Some physical and lube would clear the bind if any.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM

If the noise is coming from the front sprocket you'd be getting it 7-8 times per chain revolution. Check the alignment of the rear wheel and the rear sprocket.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
How many miles do you have on the old chain and sprockets?
The bike has 8k and i think those are original so also 8k.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
If the noise is coming from the front sprocket you'd be getting it 7-8 times per chain revolution. Check the alignment of the rear wheel and the rear sprocket.
This is what i'm leaning toward.. although i used the string method to align the rear wheel I probably managed to mess it up. I'll have to tweak the adjustments and run it between to see if the clicking changes or goes away.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
GDI

Maybe your chain is still too tight? Sometimes there is a tight spot in a chain. Then the individual chain links have to "move around" or reseat themselves on the sprockets. That would cause your clicking noise. When you adjust your chain you need to find the tightest spot on the chain, before you make your measurement.

Personally, I err on the side of a little too loose.

GDI
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neospud1 View Post
The bike has 8k and i think those are original so also 8k.
Id say that its your chain and sprockets that where shot. Always replace both not one or the other. By replacing the chain and not the sprockets the "hooked" teeth on the sprockets are whats causing the noise. Look at the front sprocket and see if the teeth are hooked. At 8 K Im going to say yes.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
Maybe your chain is still too tight? Sometimes there is a tight spot in a chain. Then the individual chain links have to "move around" or reseat themselves on the sprockets. That would cause your clicking noise. When you adjust your chain you need to find the tightest spot on the chain, before you make your measurement.

Personally, I err on the side of a little too loose.

GDI
I think this is what it was. I haven't replaced the sprockets yet but I did do the chain and got help with the rivet. Things seem to have cleared up so I guess it was just too tight. It was unevenly stretched so I probably didn't adjust at the tightest spot.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Have you taken a really close look at your sprockets especially the front? If its warn even a little that new chain you just put on is going to go south twice as fast. At 8 thousand miles your really close to a new drive train. Just saying.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Have you taken a really close look at your sprockets especially the front? If its warn even a little that new chain you just put on is going to go south twice as fast. At 8 thousand miles your really close to a new drive train. Just saying.
Yeah and it's probably worn but not to the point where I can tell without comparing with a new set. I can't see any C pattern or shark tooth type thing at all. I plan on replacing them in the next week or so I just wanted to get it to the point where I could ride it and wasn't worried about it being safe as it's my main form of transportation right now.

Thanks for the advice all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in