Cold start issue: Feedback please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cold start issue: Feedback please

I've noticed an issue with my 08 Versys lately. The old girl does not want to start right away from an unheated garage kept two or three day break. Turn the key on wait for "the buzz" to stop, hit the starter...a quick fire and then stall. apply a little twist of throttle and hit starter and boom! she fires right up. This concerns me as I've never had a cold starting issue with her ever.
comments? suggestions? thanks
Rik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Hmm, did you retro-fit carbs?

My first thought is weak battery, but that doesn't really explain how adding in some throttle helps. That leads me to suspect that maybe your TPS (throttle position sensor) is not quite set correctly, and you are just now noticing it due to the cold weather.

Of course, the other usual suspects are not necessarily ruled out -- (bad) gas, throttle cables not adjusted correctly (maybe due to colder weather), plug(s), spark plug wire(s)/coil pack(s), grounding issue(s), stator/voltage regulator, map sensor, fuel delivery/fuel pump issue, injectors (not likely), and so on.

My $2/100, anyway.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 PM

What happens if you just hit the button again without touching the throttle? Does it keep stalling or fire and run on the second or third attempt?

David

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David RSparky3 View Post
What happens if you just hit the button again without touching the throttle? Does it keep stalling or fire and run on the second or third attempt?

David
It keeps stalling on the second and third and fourth....I did not remove the injectors and add carbs LOL! but after owning umpteen carbed bikes over the years my natural instinct is to blip the throttle while cranking the starter....and then she fires right up. I just went out and purchased some stabil today as I may have accidently purchased some bad fuel. I'm wondering if moving from Florida back to Oregon has affected it in some way. Both humid enviroments to be sure but way colder here. I rode her year round on the Oregon coast in 2009 and had no garage...she lived right on the beach outside with zero issues. She resides in an unheated garage now but is not ridden everyday. This is the absolute first real issue I've had with this bike since purchasing new in June of 2008 so I can't really complain THAT loud
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Once you get it started by blipping the throttle does it go to fast Idle when cold?

David
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 PM

And does it idle at 1300 RPM after it warms up?

How old are the spark plugs?

Last edited by ScottyNeal; 11-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Rik

It does go to fast idle once started and warms up and settles in to normal idle. The spark plugs are original to the bike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So your normal idle is in fact at 1300 +/- 50 rpm? How many miles are you at?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Would be good to flick the throttle every time before firing her up.
Kind like clear the pipes so to speak.

Hope it works out, Rik.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM

As Invader suggests, I should have asked "how many miles" on the spark plugs. Without further info, I'd be biased toward checking and re-gapping them. In fact, for the effort required to get at them, I'd replace the plugs and clean the intake-air filter as a next step.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Mine for the last couple of months has been doing the same thing no matter the weather. I changed the spark plugs and it still does it so before i hit the start button i just twist the throttle once then hit the start button and it fires right up

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 AM

Maybe a fuel injector cleaner fluid will clear up those injectors (?)

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Added some stabil...seems to start better....once warmed up, no starting issues. just wondering if the cold damp enviroment is an issue here on the oregon coast. bike is garaged but hard to keep it from getting damp, short of keeping it in the living room (not a bad idea)....
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM

My 08 has recently been having same issue; just hit starter she catches and dies, 2,3,4 times. Twist throttle couple times after first miss, let it sit for a 5 count and it starts right up. Can't be a cold moisture thing as I'm in Las Vegas, coldest its been so far is 27 degrees. But she does sit out in back on patio under cover, same as last 3 yrs.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is your normal idle at 1300 rpm as it should? How many miles on it and your spark plugs?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Because of the dampness you mentioned, I suggest you open each wiring connector you can, and fill it with dielectric grease, whenever you're in there.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM

I have an 08 and started it today in 30F with no issues. Check the condition of your spark plugs, ignition wires, etc.. Also with EFI there is no reason to blip the throttle.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Mine has done this a few times, other times it will start on the first try, but seems like it will die before I give it a little twist of throttle and then it settles into high idle. Mine is an 09 with close to 6K miles. Also it was 22 when I left for work this morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode