Bike won't start. FI indicator flashes but not been dropped. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike won't start. FI indicator flashes but not been dropped.

Hey all, long time. I've been tooting around on the V now for a couple years, finally turned 19,000 miles yesterday and now some strangeness. At church the other night I went out to start the bike and it kicked over and the FI indicator flashed like the bike's tip-over sensor had been tripped. After a short panic I turned the ignition on and off a couple times and toggled the kill switch and it started.

The same thing happened again today at work. I try to start the bike, FI indicator flashes like it's been tipped over, turn ignition off and back on and toggle the kill switch and it starts.

Any thoughts on where I should start looking (before I look to a mechanic). I figured if this is a simple fix, you all would know.

The bike has had regular oil changes and is garage-kept, although I do ride in the rain quite a bit.

I humbly accept links, evil stares and general ribbing. Thanks in advance for any insight!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Hi Cetzel,

Flashing Fi shows the vehicle down-sensor is on.
To recycle this would be switching the ignition key off and then on. However this fault will still be in the bike's memory.

I have not done a reset but it's in the service manual.
FYI, the vehicle down sensor is on the right side near the rear shock below the plastic cover. See if any water is shorting it and making a electrical contact.

Good Luck

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 11-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks! I'll let you guys know what I find.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Start by reading your trouble code(s) to know where to start inspecting.

Under the seat, along the right sub-frame rail is an orange/black wire with a bullet connector. This is the self-diagnosis terminal. In order to read out the CURRENT Service Codes (MODE 1), ground that wire with the KEY ON. The FI light will begin to flash codes. There will be a 5 second delay and then the codes begin. The first flash is always a LONG (1 sec) followed by either LONG or SHORT (0.5 sec) flashes. LONG flashes indicate TENS and short flashes ONES. One LONG followed by two SHORT = 12. Two LONG, one SHORT = 21. Three LONG, two short = 32, etc. There is an interval of 1.5 seconds between TENS and ONES. There is a 3 second interval between codes.

CODE Malfunction-

11_______ Main throttle sensor
12_______ Inlet air pressure sensor
13_______ Inlet air temperature sensor
14_______ Water temperature sensor
21_______ Crankshaft sensor
24 & 25___Speed sensor (24 then 25, repeatedly)
31_______Vehicle-down sensor
32_______Subthrottle sensor
33_______Oxygen sensor inactive (Europe)
51_______Ignition Coil #1
52_______Ignition Coil #2
56_______Radiator Fan Relay
62_______Subthrottle valve actuator (sensor in range but not responding)
64_______Air switching valve
67_______Oxygen sensor heater (Europe)
94_______Oxygen sensor out-of-range

To recover codes set in memory (MODE 2); KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session. The codes will readout exactly as in MODE 1.
To clear codes from the ECU, pull the clutch in for more than 5 seconds.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Will disconnecting the battery for a short time wipe the error from the ECU?

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
Will disconnecting the battery for a short time wipe the error from the ECU?
Yes it should.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Experiencing the same problem

What up fellas, I too am experiencing a problem with my 09 Versys. The bike has never been down, and has been serviced to spec. I'm showing a FL light fault code of 31. Vehicle down sensor (expensive little piece of unnecessary plastic) I have reset the light , removed, cleaned, and re-installed the sensor but am having no luck. The bike will crank and run for 3 or 4 seconds then shut off with the same fault code. has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you fix it? I'm thinking I can just replace the sensor but it's a pricey little S.O.B. and truthfully I think it's an UN-safe, safety feature. Anything that can potentially shut down the bike while riding is B.S. I've seen where someone cut it out and soldered in a resistor but, the bike is still under warranty and I'm a little hesitant to start hacking away at it. Thoughts and advice welcome!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 07:31 PM

KLRMule,
If still under warranty, why not let dealer repair it?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
KLRMule,
+ 1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
KLRMule,
I may have to end up going that route... I'm hesitant to let the dealer have my bike and would like an understanding of what is going on before i take it in. I am also curious to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem. Also as an FYI and documented instance for the Versys community to know that such a problem could arise.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 AM

My new bike which has only just had it's first service would not start this morning and the FI sensor was flashing. I will do the diagnostic check this afternoon. The bike wasn't dropped buy I had only just fiitted crash bars which involved removing several engine mounting bolts. I wonder if this may have disturbed the bike down sensor?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie View Post
My new bike which has only just had it's first service would not start this morning and the FI sensor was flashing. I will do the diagnostic check this afternoon. The bike wasn't dropped buy I had only just fiitted crash bars which involved removing several engine mounting bolts. I wonder if this may have disturbed the bike down sensor?
You may have pinched your crankshaft sensor wires. (FI trouble code 21) It happened to another forum member before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailslapper View Post
Well the local Kawi shop called today to tell me what has happened.
I feel shame due to the fact that my trusty Versys not working was a direct result of my and mine alone wrenching and farkle fitting. This will go down in the records as the first time in 24 years of messing about with bikes that I caused damage (or at least damage I couldn't figure out how to fix !!!)

I haven't got all the details, but plan to pick up the bike tomorrow with a full description of the intricities of it all. Apparently when I installed my Motech crash bars on the bike, I had pinched a wire somewhere against the frame. This has bitten off the insulation and said wire was hanging by one strand against the frame, fooling the bike's brain into thinking that the crankshaft sensor was ronnied!!?? Who'd A thunk it? I had actually gone for a small little ride after installing the bars and before the no starting issue with no problem?!?!

Anyway, I am quite certain my Kawasaki warranty does not cover Acts of God, Fire/Water Damage, or Personal Stupidity, so I am likely on the hook for a length of new wire, some heat shrink, some pricey labour costs and my dignity.

I'm actually glad that it wasn't the sensor (even though it's repair would have been Free) as it seriously made me question the reliability of this bike. Sorry I ever doubted you, Versys.

Last edited by invader; 12-20-2011 at 01:59 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMULE View Post
I may have to end up going that route... I'm hesitant to let the dealer have my bike and would like an understanding of what is going on before i take it in. I am also curious to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem. Also as an FYI and documented instance for the Versys community to know that such a problem could arise.
From the 2007 Versys Service Manual (page 135-137):

Vehicle-down Sensor (Service Code 31)

Vehicle-down Sensor Inspection
NOTE
○Be sure the battery is fully charged.
•Connect a digital meter to the connector of the vehicle-down sensor with the needle adapter set.
Vehicle-down Sensor Power Source Voltage
Connections to Sensor Connector
Meter (+) → BL lead
Meter (–) → BR/BK lead
•Turn the ignition switch ON, and measure the power source voltage with the connector joined.
Input Voltage at Sensor
Standard: DC 4.75 ∼ 5.25 V
•Turn the ignition switch OFF.
If the reading of input voltage is less than the standard, check the ECU for its ground, power supply and wiring. if the power source is normal, check the output voltage.
•Remove the vehicle-down sensor (see Vehicle-down Sensor Removal).
○Do not disconnect the sensor connector.
•Connect a digital meter to the connector with needle adapter set.
Vehicle-down Sensor Output Voltage
Meter (+) → Y/G lead
Meter (–) → BR/BK lead
•Hold the sensor vertically.
•Turn the ignition switch ON, and measure the output voltage with the connector joined.
○Tilt the sensor 60 ∼ 70° or more right or left, then hold the sensor almost vertical with the arrow mark pointed up, and measure the output voltage.
Output Voltage at Sensor
Standard: with sensor tilted 60 ∼ 70° or more right or left: 0.65 ∼ 1.35 V
with sensor arrow mark pointed up: 3.55 ∼ 4.45 V
NOTE
○If you need to test again, turn the ignition switch OFF, and then ON.
•If the output voltage is normal, check the wiring.
•If the wiring is good, check the ECU for its ground and power supply (see ECU Power Supply Inspection).
•If the ground and power supply are good, replace the ECU (see ECU Removal/Installation).
•If the output voltage is out of the specified, replace the vehicle-down sensor.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM

Thanks Invader, I noticed when I was removing the RHS nut from the bolt that runs right through from the left to right frame that there was a bundle of wires that obscured the nut.

Now that i think about it I didn't pay any attention to clearing the bundled wires when I pushed through the new long bolt! I will check it out in the morning and see if that is the issue.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Met a V biker who had the FI flashing problem.
Dealer replace the vehicle down sensor and all went back to normal.

The dealer said to him try not to shot water while washing to that area (right side footpeg cover where sensor is located).

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
From the 2007 Versys Service Manual (page 135-137):

Vehicle-down Sensor (Service Code 31)

Vehicle-down Sensor Inspection
NOTE
○Be sure the battery is fully charged.
•Connect a digital meter to the connector of the vehicle-down sensor with the needle adapter set.
Vehicle-down Sensor Power Source Voltage
Meter (+) → BL lead
Meter (–) → BR/BK lead
•Turn the ignition switch ON, and measure the power source voltage with the connector joined.
Input Voltage at Sensor
Standard: DC 4.75 ∼ 5.25 V
If the reading of input voltage is less than the standard, check the ECU for its ground, power supply and wiring. if the power source is normal, check the output voltage.
•Remove the vehicle-down sensor (see Vehicle-down Sensor Removal).
○Do not disconnect the sensor connector.
•Connect a digital meter to the connector with needle adapter set.
Vehicle-down Sensor Output Voltage
Meter (+) → Y/G lead
Meter (–) → BR/BK lead
•Hold the sensor vertically.
•Turn the ignition switch ON, and measure the output voltage with the connector joined.
○Tilt the sensor 60 ∼ 70° or more right or left, then hold the sensor almost vertical with the arrow mark pointed up, and measure the output voltage.
Output Voltage at Sensor
Standard: with sensor tilted 60 ∼ 70° or more right or left: 0.65 ∼ 1.35 V
with sensor arrow mark pointed up: 3.55 ∼ 4.45 V
NOTE
○If you need to test again, turn the ignition switch OFF, and then ON.
•If the output voltage is normal, check the wiring.
•If the wiring is good, check the ECU for its ground and power supply (see ECU Power Supply Inspection).
•If the ground and power supply are good, replace the ECU (see ECU Removal/Installation).
•If the output voltage is out of the specified, replace the vehicle-down sensor.
Thanks. I have a service manual...and a voltage meter...

The bike is loaded and ready for me to take it to the Stealership. All signs point towards a bad sensor. What a crock of crap that a piece like this can keep me and all of you form enjoying our investment. Hopefully I've got the lemon part and no one else has to go through this b.s. The simplicity of other bikes is soooo much more appealing to me and even more so in moments like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Invader, you were spot on.

The woven black conduit (running just under the rear engine mount near the rear brake pedal) had been ripped during my crash bar install. Two wires undamaged but the yellow wire was broken. Looks like it comes from an engine sensor.

I had to remove RHS plastics, undo a cable tie, and unplug the cable connector to pul out the cable. Then I had to cut the conduit some more to free up the wire through the torn hole, twist the broken ends together, and tape it all up.

I plugged the connector back in and first attempt the engine started!

I think i will leave it up to the dealer to do a permanent repair as a couple of the sensor wires have an unfamiliar sealed connection on one end.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
very funny... on topic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike won't start.jpg (51.4 KB, 3716 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Walking the plank

A few post ago I reported a FL code 31 problem (vehicle down sensor) and mentioned I was going to let the stealership take a crack at the problem... Well just my luck after trailering to the dealer service department the bike cranked right up and ran fine. Thinking at that point that it was just a faulty vehicle down sensor I brought it home (where it threw the code again and wouldn't run) and replaced the sensor. Hooray! the bike ran...for A day... SO new sensor in the bike continues to throw the code. I took the bike back to the dealership this morning where I will loose my extended warranty rebate so that they can tell me that there is probably something simple wrong with the bike. i.e. rubbed wire, bad ground, something of that nature. I simply don't have the time to take the bike apart to the brains to chase this electrical gremlin. I will keep you guys posted and the other members who have contacted me VIA P/M who may or may not be experiencing this same problem. Once again I hope that I am the one with the lemon part and that others don't have to deal with this pest of a problem and because of it's ugly nature, the versys is much more fun to ride than look at broke down in your workshop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode