Motorcycle Keyless Ignition - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Keyless Ignition

Hey All...

I'm intrigued by the idea of Keyless Ignition for motorcycles. Have any of you installed/used a Keyless Ignition or something similar on your V (or other)? Or have any opinions on them in general?

Anybody try setting up a DIY Keyless Ignition system?

For reference:
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless.html
http://bulletproofelectronics.com/
http://www.invisikey.com/
http://rfidtoys.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=692

out.
tothemoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 AM

Not done it but know some kawasaki Voyager guys who has done it.

They seem to enjoy starting their bike from a far and blaring the alarms.
Doing this will also probably mean going keyless on the petrol cap.
However still left with the seat lock. It's would be an interesting project. Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 AM

We had a keyless ignition on my wife's Toyota and found it to be one of those solutions to a question no one was asking. The whole system seemed to think it knew what you wanted but often was wrong. I'd pull into the driveway on a nice day and have the windows down, go into the house for a couple minutes and come back to find the car windows up and the car locked. Good thing I didn't have a dog in the car. This was not an adjustable setting, that's how it worked. That's probably not an issue with a motorcycle lacking doors and windows (ha), but it came across to me as applying technology because it's possible rather than because it makes sense. One of my friends was riding his R1150RT on a Saddle Sore 1000 to get his Iron Butt Certification and a guy he was riding with had a K1200GT with keyless ignition. A couple hours into the ride the K bike wouldn't start...then would...then wouldn't. The guy called BMW road service who suggested a fix (disconnect battery, remove main headlight bulb, reinstall headlight bulb, reconnect battery) but couldn't get it going. He had a flat bed to take his bike to the nearest dealer in the next state. He got a ride home (two states away) and when he got there he found in the day's mail a recall notice from BMW covering a fault in the keyless ignition system that could leave the motorcycle inoperable. You don't say!

You may find keyless ignition is a good farkle, and I hope whatever you do works. I find simple is good.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 10-27-2011 at 06:47 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Good call, fellas. And yeah, I agree on simple (KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid) ...but I'm a sucker for cool technologies, haha.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemoon44 View Post
...but I'm a sucker for cool technologies, haha.
Me too...

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 AM

The only problem with these systems is the installation. Most systems there are no installers that actually know how to install it because they are not plug and play most are tap into wires in the ignition and unless you know what your doing you can mess things up. Take for instance guard dawg system I live 30 miles from there main headquarters yet there is no one within 200 miles that knows how to install iron a Kawasaki. Every place I have contacted in Sacramento county has never even heard of these systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode