Bent Front Rim - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Bent Front Rim

Sadly, riding home in the rain tonight, just past dark, cresting a hill and saw something in my path. Only had time to brace for impact - and hope it was a soft item. Looked like an empty paper lunch bag. Nope. It was a rock or slab of cement maybe, just laying in the road. Pretty solid impact on the front tire, had a little wheelie action but managed to keep upright. Was going about 50 km/hr.

Only a few blocks from home, I carried on and then saw the damage. This is the left side. The right side has a slight bend, hardly visible, but you can feel the wobble if you run your hand along the bead.

So, my first thought is REPLACEMENT. Any one have thoughts or experience with REPAIR to this sort of damage?

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
DallasDon had one repaired recently.

Heres one on ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Up-Kawasa...ht_2693wt_1165

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can check with these guys to see if they can repair it:

http://www.londonwheelrepair.com/

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM

I believe a decent wheel shop should be able to straighten that.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. Invader, I checked with that shop, looks like a good spot, but they don't do MC wheels. So far, I have not found a shop here that does.

I went back today and found the evil rock that caused the damage. Big, heavy, flat, didn't give way much when I hit it as evidenced by my bent rim. Really glad I didn't dump it.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 10-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Damn, that's a big boulder. Have you phone around MC shops to ask if they know somebody?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep, only advice they offer is generic, "Try to find a machine shop that'll do it" Not much help there.

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM

Maximum Cycle
1785 Gore Road
London, Ontario

-Straightening

Have some bent parts on your bike? We can help. Before going out and spending money on replacements, bring them into Maximum Cycle. We straighten rims, forks and brake disks, as well as many other things you have on your bike.

Rim Straightening

Price: $210.00 flat rate per rim. This is for a bare rim. (no tire or rotors on the rim)

http://www.maximumcycle.ca/18.html

You may as well get new better tires while you're at it. Your front tire is likely damaged too.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Invader. I've been to Maximum Cycle before, its a good small shop. I'll try there.

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM

$210 to straighten a wheel seems expensive. What would the cost be to just replace the rim? Another option would be to look for a salvage one.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New rim: retail at the dealer for $545, wait for their Winter Bike show sale and get it for about $408.

One on Ebay for 425 (plus shipping)

Salvage, possible, there is one salvage shop in my town and a friend goes there ofen, but the prices are too high IMO. If they had one, I'd bet they'd be asking $350 at least.

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
What I've seen done is to take a piece of hardwood curved pretty much like your rim should be, held against the bent part, then SMACKED with a 2 pound hammer. Several whacks should get it close to where you want it, or replace the rim.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Similar circumstance with me...hit a softball-size rock going about 40 mph....

I thought about making an insurance claim, but my deductible is $500, so I didn't see the point....

Here's my "before" and "after."

Me and my buddy, who has an auto/motorcycle repair shop, did "the work." After calling around to a couple of people we know that have a lot of experience with motorcycle repair, our biggest fear was the rim cracking as we straightened it out. They recommended heating it up to help with that. So I busted out the heat gun (industrial hair-dryer) and ran it over the area for about 15 minutes. Then we took it over to some sort of press he has in his shop (I can take a pic if it would help) and he pressed it "straight," all the while I was keeping the heat gun on it. It's by no means perfect, but the rim has no cracks and it performs as new--besides, chicks dig scars!
I notice absolutely no difference while riding the bike and it's been over 10,000 miles since the repair.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1050.jpg (385.4 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1052.jpg (303.5 KB, 289 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I bent mine a couple years ago leaving work at midnight I drove through a poorly marked ditch dug by our local maintenance crew. It was bent about half as bad as ATYC's rim.

I took it here... http://www.mcwheel.com/. I live close by so I brought the rim myself. They were able to straighten it to within .35mm (I saw the dial indicator 1st hand). They have a home made press and heated the rim before bending.

Low Gel seat, KLX250 Mirrors, Vario Windshield, E21 luggage, arrow slip-on
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 AM

I've bent my rims four times so far. Each time I used a peice of hard wood and a hammer. You can still see a little evedence if you look hard enough, but I cannot feel it when riding the bike. I didn't use any heat.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM

here's where I had my wheel repaired and they did a 24 hour turnaround. Reasonable price. About $175.00. The re-powder coated the wheel and it looks brand new. From their website they don't mention repairing motorcycle wheels but it's a good part of their business. Go figure. It' sure beats $500.00 plus for a new wheel.

www.mywheelrepair.com

214-599-6262

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 11-04-2011 at 08:32 AM.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
here's where I had my wheel repaired and they did a 24 hour turnaround. Reasonable price. About $175.00. The re-powder coated the wheel and it looks brand new. From their website they don't mention repairing motorcycle wheels but it's a good part of their business. Go figure. It' sure beats $500.00 plus for a new wheel.

www.mywheelrepair.com

214-599-6262
http://www.mywheelrepair.com/wheel-repair.html

"MOTORCYCLE WHEELS

Wheel Repair Process

We use our own technology, which uses hydraulic pressure, heat, customized tools and metallurgical skill to straighten aluminum alloy to factory specifications. This process can be considered to be both an art and a science because it requires a lot of hours of training before a person dealing with wheel straightening is qualified enough to work on customer rims.

While custom wheel rebuilding is limited mostly to steel wheels, we can straighten forged, spun, cast or billet alloy wheels. Even though some wheels may seem to be too mangled to be straightened."
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Garage
Sent you a PM about a new one available in canada. you can bid on it or buy now price is $175.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
weljo - You ROCK!!! No pun intended. GREAT find, I saw it and bought it.

Thanks to all who chipped in with info and advice, I really appreciated the help. weljo linked me to one on ebay that I scooped up from a Canadian seller. Brand new and saved over $400 off the retail price!!!!

Too late for this year, season is over, but I'll be rolling in the Spring without delay.

Always trust your cape.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode