Sorry more chain questions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry more chain questions.

Looks like I need a new chain and sprockets. I would like to get recommendations on a brand that is priced resonably, but not junk. Also, a place to purchase. Figured I would start here and try to narrow down the possibilities. I think I've decided to go with the 15/44 combo on sprockets. When I change to the 44 rear sprocket I realize my speedo will be closer to accurate, but how does it affect my odometer?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Can't help with sprocket combo but I'd suggest a quality x-ring chain. RK probably has a x-chain and sprocket combo for the V but I'm new to them so I don't know.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
Looks like I need a new chain and sprockets. I would like to get recommendations on a brand that is priced resonably, but not junk. Also, a place to purchase. Figured I would start here and try to narrow down the possibilities. I think I've decided to go with the 15/44 combo on sprockets. When I change to the 44 rear sprocket I realize my speedo will be closer to accurate, but how does it affect my odometer?

Thanks in advance.
There are many places to buy chains and sprockets on-line. I have used sprocketcenter.com because you can get the chain to size for your sprocket combo(15/44) and there is a several different options and prices.

As for the Speedo/Odometer question. I went with the 15/43 sprocket combo and my speedo reads almost exactly on to my GPS. However, my odometer now records ~ 4.5% on the low side. Meaning if my trip counter says I rode 100 miles it is closer to 105. No biggie but if you are really tracking exactly how many miles you ride just factor it in if it really matters.
My odometer reads 37600 miles right now but my pistons and rings have 39292 miles on them!

Have you been warned about the possible extreme high break-torque value necessary for the counter sprocket nut removal yet?

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Garage
I purchased a new DID 520 VM Gold chain and a set of sprockets from www.sprocketcenter.com. I went with the 15-tooth front and the 43-tooth rear. When my kit arrived, I noticed that sprocketcenter.com provided me with a 112-pin chain. This is just about the perfect length given the smaller-diameter rear sprocket. It also provides the best wear attributes according to http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I will say that the rear sprocket that I was sent is aluminum. I do not think that this will be a problem since it was the front sprocket that was seriously worn when I replaced my first set and the rear sprocket still looked new (as aside from all of the grime).

The un-damped front sprocket had a bit of a whine to it for some time. I do not notice it at all any more. Next time I may choose to buy an OEM front sprocket, but that is not all that big a deal at this time.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Normally I would say just buy OEM since in my 40+ years of owning and wrenching on bikes, OE sprockets are usually of good enough quality that going aftermarket is not necessary. But, since you are changing the tooth count...

My experience with AFAM has always been positive.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. One more question. How hard is it to install a rivet style master link without a special tool. I have never done a street bike chain, just dirt bikes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
Thanks for the input guys. One more question. How hard is it to install a rivet style master link without a special tool. I have never done a street bike chain, just dirt bikes.
I cannot imagine that it is possible without a special tool. There is no question that the first change including a rivet master link requires a ~$100 tool set. A clip master link would only require a set of pliers. A lot of people seem to think that a clip master link is inferior to a rivet link. I have never owned another bike and simply do not have an opinion about this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Clip type masterlink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I cannot imagine that it is possible without a special tool. There is no question that the first change including a rivet master link requires a ~$100 tool set. A clip master link would only require a set of pliers. A lot of people seem to think that a clip master link is inferior to a rivet link. I have never owned another bike and simply do not have an opinion about this.
I am using a clip on masterlink chain at the moment to see if a $50 standard non o-ring chain would hold up to the power and speed of my Versys... and I do not trust this type link at all...unless....you safety wire or silacone glue the clip on to avoid a failure...and a rivet type link has to be installed properly to avoid damaging the link...EK chains have a screw type masterlink that looks cool...

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Ive had good luck with OEM and Driven. OEM I can get 12 to 14 and thats with a lot of dirt riding and with Driven Ive gone as far as 18. Driven is not cheap but then again neither is their product. But a chain tool kit they are pretty cheap and you will get your money back by doing it yourself

Last edited by douglasgraham; 10-22-2011 at 08:03 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 AM
ggg

RK 520 x ring chains are crap compared to DID 520 VM chains, on my gasser 450 (same chain) got 2 years use... RK did not last a full season so i removed and measured it compared to DID and that 2 year old chain was not sretched as much, and the RK was not a cheapie, i will never buy a RK again... DID have great chains over all price points, also clip master links are fine never had one fail in 20 years, i like them easy to fit and remove if you need too.

DID 520 VM chain together with a OEM front sprocket and a good quality steel rear is the go if you add a scottsoiler it will probaly last longer than you have the bike

Last edited by ggg; 10-23-2011 at 03:51 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I am leaning towards a stock front and 44 rear sprocket, using a clip style link and quality chain. Any more opinions on where to buy online and chain brands would be appreciated.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 AM

Replaced the 2011 V with a 15/44 rear combo with DID 520 chain.
I prefer the rivet type chain which needed a special press tool to mushroom the pins. Also fitted a scottoiler which will prolong the chain life.

The other 2008 V is also 15/44 with DID 520 at 30K km.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode