Irregular Chain Tension Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Irregular Chain Tension Question

Sorry if this one has been asked 3000 times and has been answered already but I scanned hi and low and could not find the answer that I seek.

I just got a new heavy duty DID chain and installed it with new front and rear sprockets. I use a rear bike stand on swing arm spool so the back tire is under no load. I adjusted the chain until I get to what I believe is proper tension and then tighten the axle nut. Doing so seems to to tighten the chain every so slightly more. I then spin the wheel and notice that with my brand new chain there are tight sections and then there are also loose sections. I never had this happen with the EK brand chains in the past and thought that when there was pronounced uneven tension it was a sign of a chain at the end of life--not brand new like this DID chain.

i read that proper tension should be set when the wheel is rotated to the chains tightest section.

So my question is, is it ok that a brand new DID chain has ~1.5 inches of slack in one section and as much as ~2.5 inches in other sections?

Just super worried there is something way more sinister wrong with my bike and wish to resolve this one before rolling again.

Thanks.

Matt from Cape Canaveral, Florida

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St-Eustache, QC
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
Sorry if this one has been asked 3000 times and has been answered already but I scanned hi and low and could not find the answer that I seek.

I just got a new heavy duty DID chain and installed it with new front and rear sprockets. I use a rear bike stand on swing arm spool so the back tire is under no load. I adjusted the chain until I get to what I believe is proper tension and then tighten the axle nut. Doing so seems to to tighten the chain every so slightly more. I then spin the wheel and notice that with my brand new chain there are tight sections and then there are also loose sections. I never had this happen with the EK brand chains in the past and thought that when there was pronounced uneven tension it was a sign of a chain at the end of life--not brand new like this DID chain.

i read that proper tension should be set when the wheel is rotated to the chains tightest section.

So my question is, is it ok that a brand new DID chain has ~1.5 inches of slack in one section and as much as ~2.5 inches in other sections?

Just super worried there is something way more sinister wrong with my bike and wish to resolve this one before rolling again.

Thanks.

Matt from Cape Canaveral, Florida
We are pretty much in synch LOL... about few second of asking pretty similar question check this out :
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17339
..but in my case still running the old one.
burnedstar is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Pismocycleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Chain Slack

Go to web posting, forum posting, as mentioned in above entry/messsage.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pismocycleguy is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Member
 
Hardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
... is it ok that a brand new DID chain has ~1.5 inches of slack in one section and as much as ~2.5 inches in other sections? ...
I wouldn’t expect to see any significant variance in the slack with a brand new chain and sprockets – and IMO the amount that you’re seeing means that something’s wrong...

Did the rear sprocket center on its mounting bolts well?
.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Hardware is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"A new heavy duty DID"? Which DID chain model is it, where did you get it from, and how sure are you that it's new?
I'd be surprised if your countershaft was bent. Did you get an aftermarket front sprocket without the rubber damper?

Last edited by invader; 10-18-2011 at 12:16 AM.
invader is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
"A new heavy duty DID"? Which DID chain model is it, where did you get it from, and how sure are you that it's new?
I'd be surprised if your countershaft was bent. Did you get an aftermarket front sprocket without the rubber damper?
I got a Superlite/D.I.D. 520ZVMX Chain (rated for 1200CC) & Steel Sprocket Kit from Sprocketcenter. There was no rubber damper on my original stock front sprocket and the after market does not have one either.

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Original stock front sprocket without rubber damper on a 2009 you got when it was new?
invader is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Original stock front sprocket without rubber damper on a 2009 you got when it was new?
When I pulled the original front sprocket off last year (after 17500 miles or so) there was only the sprocket and the lock (star) washer under the 27mm nut. No rubber damper or spacer.

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Martinez, CA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Did the rear sprocket center on its mounting bolts well? .
10-4. Rec'm pulling rear wheel and loosening/retightening rear sprocket bolts gradually tightening bolts on opposite sides. I have never had a good new chain/sprockets with any variation in chain sag.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
oldturtle is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It could be a bad chain or sprocket - OR - The new chain might still be 'sticky' with all the fresh packing & shipping grease. I hate to ask the obvious, but did you clean it and lube it? If so, take it for a short spin to warm it up and see if it's still binding. If so, then something is bad. Just make sure you have the minimum amount of slack at the tightest point to start.
Velocibiker is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It is possible for the new chain links to be a bit stiff still. Check for proper tension again after a few easy miles... Original sprocket has a rubber damper bonded to both sides as a single unit.
invader is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It is possible for the new chain links to be a bit stiff still. Check for proper tension again after a few easy miles... Original sprocket has a rubber damper bonded to both sides as a single unit.
Issue resolved! Everyone's input helped! First, I cleaned the shipping grease off and ran it for a few minutes. That helped a little but it was still hanging up in areas. So then I analyzed exactly where the chain was getting tight in the rotation sequence and it was when the chain passed approx. a one quarter section of the rear sprocket. So that was clear to me that it was deflecting somehow on that one section. So I removed the rear wheel and pulled the sprocket hub out of the rear wheel hub (the rubber bushing thingy) and notice that perhaps I was too liberal with the hi-temp grease in there around the axle bearing area and some build up and dirt may have migrated from the axle bearing area to the flat surface area causing the deflection. So I clean it thoroughly. I then removed the sprocket from the hub and turned it 180 degrees from its original bolted position, and as one posted recommended, carefully re-torque using the cross pattern method. I always cross torque but may have rushed it last night and when to full torque on all 6 bolts right away. This time however, I took it to a low torque, a medium torque and then a final torque using the cross pattern.

Bottle line is that all three factors (sticky chain, inner/outer hub alignment and torque method) contributed to my issue. I am much relieved that something more sinister is not at play here.

Thanks to all for giving me plenty of ideas to work with.

Matt from Cape C out..........

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Member
 
Baron650's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love a happy ending, to the forum!
Baron650 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Member
 
2daMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't have thought about the rear sprocket damper not seated properly to be a possible thing. Good info and glad the problem is solved.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2daMax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome