Clunky gear change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clunky gear change?

Anybody noticed their V having a rough gear change? Mine is a bit clunky, especially when i try to change carefully. I dont especially like when it changes gears with a bang. Am i doing anything wrong? Maybe it will be better when it has run some more miles? (mine is allmost new still) Or maybe my mechanic has put in the wrong oil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ermax hugger, Givi trunk, Kawasaki touring screen, ep radiator cover, gipro ds, gear indicator, powerbronze headlight protector, motowerk footpeg lowering kit and paddock stand+ bobbins, leovince underbody exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just part of its charm.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Lol, ok. Good to know its nothing unusual atleast. Really like the bike exept for the buzz in the speedo and maybe the hard gear change, and the buzz is fixable.

Ermax hugger, Givi trunk, Kawasaki touring screen, ep radiator cover, gipro ds, gear indicator, powerbronze headlight protector, motowerk footpeg lowering kit and paddock stand+ bobbins, leovince underbody exhaust.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM

some say synthetic oil softens the blow, and I'd have to agree. though it may be purely in my head.
that not withstanding...she's built like a brick sh*t house and with practice you too can make smooth as silk shifts. Power-shifting at full throttle is always fun and even smoother.
43 tooth cog on the back really helped smooth things out for me too.
(and I don't miss the Versys' "1st gear" stump-pulling abilities at all).

Charming INDEED!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I know my Ktm got fairly clunkly when my mechanic mut in a different oil than i normally use, because he said it would lube better at the local temperatures. So that may be the reason. I am due for the first service now(1000km) , and i think they will change the oil.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
with practice you too can make smooth as silk shifts.
+1

The only clunk I get anymore is plopping it into first from neutral, especially when cold.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermann81 View Post
Maybe it will be better when it has run some more miles?

My shifting smoothed out with mileage. I've got a almost 21,000 miles on mine and the transmission shifts very smoothly and works flawlessly. It clunks a little when putting it in first from neutral, but I have never ridden a bike that didn't.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM

if your chain is very loose it can also cause your gear changes to be a bit clunky
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Just preload the shifter a bit, tap the clutch, and you're in the next gear.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Poping into gear or going in quickly is not a bad thing. Dogs will be completely engaged.

Its clunkity. If RPM and speed are correct, I shift firmly and quickly. Its smoother for me at higher RPM.

David
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Check the lubrication in the shifter pivot axle. Mine dried out from the factory and it was cluck city shifting...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RSparky3 View Post
Poping into gear or going in quickly is not a bad thing. Dogs will be completely engaged.

Its clunkity. If RPM and speed are correct, I shift firmly and quickly. Its smoother for me at higher RPM.

David
Great advice! don't toy with it! grab a gear and go. Also don't ***** foot around tapping down into first from neutral.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvis View Post
Check the lubrication in the shifter pivot axle. Mine dried out from the factory and it was cluck city shifting...
I don't quite understand this. Isn't it lubricated internally? Is this something that can be lubed just from the outside?

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Mine gets a little worse at higher rpms. But i will tighten the chain, lube the shifter and chain and change the oil, and see if it helps. Like i wrote, its due for service anyhow.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I don't quite understand this. Isn't it lubricated internally? Is this something that can be lubed just from the outside?
He's speaking of the PEDAL pivot. Disconnect the shift rod, remove the pedal, clean it up and grease it. Then re-assemble.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode