Clutch cable prob (with pics) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch cable prob (with pics)

I know this has been discussed, but I hadn't seen many pics of the issue, so I thought I would share a couple. Sometime last week, my clutch suddenly became loose while I was riding the Versys to work. Luckily, it didn't completely break and I was able to get it home that day. Ordered 2 clutch cables, one to keep on the bike for a spare - and I am glad I did.

Looking at the removed cable, it appears to me that this will be a problem no matter how much it is cared for or lubed. Metal rubbing against metal will fatigue the cable eventually. You might want to take a look at yours. This was at the lever end of the cable.

Also, get a spare and just keep it under the seat or in luggage on the bike. Cheap insurance against getting stuck somewhere without a clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch1.jpg (428.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg clutch2.jpg (498.6 KB, 156 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alours View Post
Looking at the removed cable, it appears to me that this will be a problem no matter how much it is cared for or lubed.
Never had a clutch cable fail. Almost 40 years of riding with all different kinds of bikes. It's all in making sure the head/ball properly rotates in the socket and/or cable routing. If the cable is rubbing against anything when the lever is pulled, then something is wrong with the cable routing or how the perch/lever is set up.

But you are right about the fact that no matter how much you lube it, if its rubbing, it WILL fail.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Not sure how many miles you have on it, but I just turned 30k miles on mine. Still on the original cable, but like you I carry a spare and check the original from time to time.

I lube it with Dupont chain lube, about every other fill up and as far as I can tell its as good as new.

You sure yours is routed correctly, not at a strange angle or something crazy?

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent pics but very telling. The barrel looks dry as a bone, you can lube the cable all you want..it's gonna fail. Gotta lube the barrel like others have said and route clutch cable so it's by itself and not attached to the bars with other cables etc. I know alot of yall know this but alot of people still learning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00654.jpg (362.7 KB, 99 views)

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode