Engine Surge - New Clutch Switch Fitted - UPDATE..! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Engine Surge - New Clutch Switch Fitted - UPDATE..!

This is for all of you who've been following my woes with regards to engine surge and poor fuelling. Received a call from the dealer this afternoon saying that the new clutch switch was in, so called past after work to have it fitted. Well, ten minutes later and it's like I'm riding a completely different bike! Surging gone and no more crappy 'on/off' fuelling at low speeds. It's a bit like having the smoothness of a big four again. Hard acceleration through the gears feels more responsive and even had a good dice with a Mitsubishi Evo on the way home to celebrate..! To those of you who may have similar issues it could be worth investigating this switch. Kawasaki part no. is 270101094 and it would have cost me the insignificant amount of UK 9.38 plus VAT (tax), had it not been under warranty. Thanks to all of you who've provided feedback on this subject - I hope this conclusion will assist one or two of you. For the past couple of weeks I've been considering part exchanging the V for something else - not any more..! I'm back in 'lurve' with it..! Can't wait for the ride to work tomorrow...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6865.JPG (685.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6857.JPG (657.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6856.JPG (560.6 KB, 143 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Glad it's finally fixed and the true nature of the bike has shown its good self. I wonder how it passed Quality Check from the factory?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
on the feedback..

enjoy your ride.

Ride safe-ATGATT.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the update.

I don't get it.

Glad it works.

David
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I still don't think it's possible for the starter lockout switch (clutch switch) to have any effect on driveability.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I still don't think it's possible for the starter lockout switch (clutch switch) to have any effect on driveability.
Maybe they put a clutch switch in it and adjusted the TPS. Can't put the adjustment on the bill for emission reasons.

Maybe they turned the magic screw Ya know the one customers think us mechanics know about and they don't. The little hidden brass screw that adds HP AND increased fuel mileage.

David
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RSparky3 View Post
Maybe they put a clutch switch in it and adjusted the TPS. Can't put the adjustment on the bill for emission reasons.

Maybe they turned the magic screw Ya know the one customers think us mechanics know about and they don't. The little hidden brass screw that adds HP AND increased fuel mileage.

David
My thoughts
Maybe zedseven50 can check to see if the reference mark on main throttle sensor is now off counterclockwise a tad.

New position on mine is slightly counterclockwise, barely enough to see it.

Subthrottle sensor may also be rotated slightly counterclockwise to correct higher cold fast idle rpm, resulting from the main throttle sensor adjustment.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=1412&page=2

Last edited by invader; 09-21-2011 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
My thoughts
Maybe zedseven50 can check to see if the reference mark on main throttle sensor is now off counterclockwise a tad.

New position on mine is slightly counterclockwise, barely enough to see it.

Subthrottle sensor may also be rotated slightly counterclockwise to correct higher cold fast idle rpm, resulting from the main throttle sensor adjustment.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=1412&page=2
I'll check it out on the weekend, Invader. Well, if they turned the 'magic screw' it sure worked for me and I ain't complaining..!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM

My 2012 has started to have the same problem. It was fine for the first 1,000 miles but has since then had the same issues you were having. I tried the tips for adjusting the TPS like Invader posted but I still have the surging. I will have by dealership check my clutch sensor as well, thanks for the post. And thanks Invader for the TPS adjustment post. It has made a world of difference with my throttle delivery and has smoothed out the low RPM issues I once had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode