have aquestion??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
have aquestion???

Hi everyone..
have a black 07 V..
sometime ago I decided to paint some parts of my V . So I removed the front and the rear frame cover and painted them into matt black. Then I decided to paint the rims into the same color so it would be smt like an all black V. But the problem is somehow I cannot find a service to remove the wheels. The mechanic at Kawa is on holiday and the others I found don't want to bother cause it takes long time but gets low cost. So I decided to do it all by myself. I have all the equipment and the service manual. Looks I can do it. But after rims are painted do I have to make a balance to the wheels...??
Thanks to everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 AM

You only need to balance the wheels if you removed the balance weights or you change tires.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Only if you put on a REALLY thick coat of paint.

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
In a word NO
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You should be ok if you reinstall the tires in the same position, by making a mark on the tire aligned with the valve stem before. You can check for proper balance by holding the axle level with the wheel on, and twisting the axle back and forth... You'll have a hard time even with tire irons if you've never done it before, and probably scratch the hell out of your paint job.
You need a 14 mm Allen to loosen front axle.

Last edited by invader; 10-05-2008 at 04:18 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Get rid of the weights and put RIDE-ON in the tires. Balances for life of the tire and also seals leaks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Get rid of the weights and put RIDE-ON in the tires. Balances for life of the tire and also seals leaks.
Another vote for Ride-On.

But in line with the original question. Don't bother wasting your time painting the wheels. Save some $$$ and have them powder coated. This will involve a complete wheel & tire breakdown including the bearings. But in the long run you'll thank me... trust me on this.

Then after reassembly, use Ride-On. http://www.ride-on.com/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 11:47 AM

++ To what MackDaddy said. When it comes down to your next tire replacement, you can pretty much count on your wheel paintjob to be "done" If you change your own tires, or even let a dealer do it for you, the tire irons will scrape the paint off pronto! . Save yourself a lot of wasted time & grief & do it right the first time; POWDERCOAT!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the replies guys for the time being I canceled painting the tires.maybe when I'll be putting new tires I'll do. Please don't laugh but what is powdercoat what is the difference with regular paint...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemikada÷ View Post
thanx for the replies guys for the time being I canceled painting the tires.maybe when I'll be putting new tires I'll do. Please don't laugh but what is powdercoat what is the difference with regular paint...
Powder coating involves baking on a powder applied to the surface. It leaves a rough, textured surface but it is very hard and very difficult to scratch. Linky
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 PM

Actually acinonyx, you can choose the finish you like, smooth or textured. As well as any color finish you like, gloss, semi gloss or flat. Powdercoating has come a long way & if you compare the cost to paint & prep, powdercoating is very feasable. I deal with a powdercoater almost on a regular basis at work, & decided to powdercoat some aluminum pieces on my BMW K1200R semi gloss black. These pieces were painted black by the previous owner & the paint was starting to rub off when I purchased it, & made a very nice bike look like crap! . I had the front & rear footpegs coated, the passenger & rider peg mounts, & the headlight housing done. The pieces look like they came from the factory done! That was back in May & with over 7000 miles on since then, the coating still looks new!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM

Well said Iceman. Powdercoating has come a long way over the years. Most good powdercoaters can lay a surface that is darn near impervious to all the nasty elements a motorcycle will see. I'll never paint wheels again! Or, truthfully most anything for that matter.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I knew you could get it in various colors, but didn't know they offer it in a smooth finish. I had some exhaust headers powder-coated some time back. Don't know how much it actually cost because I got it in trade, but to this day they still look good. Well, if I kept them clean they would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode