Dang Chain Grease around the front sprocket! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dang Chain Grease around the front sprocket!

As I pulled my bike out of the garage, I noticed a drain hose dangling near the gearshift. I started to figure out where it is supposed to go and got black grease all over my hand.

I was like WTF?? Then I noticed black grease on the muffler and around the general area of the front sprocket. I began to panic and then got to thinking about something I read on this forum. Gobs of grease around the front sprocket..... I stowed the drain hose and went for my ride.

I returned and let her cool down a bit and then started removing covers and the speed sensor. Man that's a lot crap packed all over. (And all I use is the blue can Dupont). I spent about an hour cleaning it all up and making everything look brand new. Guess I need to do this every year and a half (how long I have owned the bike). I recommend latex or similar gloves and lots of rags or gun cleaning patches. I found the gun patches to be the quickest and easiest because they are cut the perfect size.

I used WD-40 in a paper towel on the muffler only and it wiped up super clean. I just used dry patches all over the rest because I didn't want penetrating oils to go somewhere it should not.

This is my first chain driven bike so I have never had to do this kind of maintenance. Not hard, actually fun to spend time with my bike.

BTW, I want to grease the pivot point on the clutch cable to hopefully prevent the breaking near the lever. Mine looks new still. Any recommendations on the type of grease I should use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM

I need to get out and do the same thing to mine. It's so goopy on mine that whenever I park it, I get little drops of grease on the ground below it. It's so annoying to have to wipe up the grease all the time so I don't track it into the house. It's just so difficult to find time to do it!

Good to hear though I'm not the only one with this happening!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

BTW, I want to grease the pivot point on the clutch cable to hopefully prevent the breaking near the lever. Mine looks new still. Any recommendations on the type of grease I should use?

Heres what i use. Picked it up at local Cycle Gear.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...1&esvid=400074

For cleaning grease and stuff I always use Goop Hand Cleaner. Works great and doesn't make a mess..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Weljo.. I just ordered a tub from Amazon as well as a can of cable lube and the device that clamps on to inject the lube. Gonna perform my first maintenance on the clutch cable. With all the breakage lately, I am going to try to be preventive. Will take the time to do a "by the book" cable adjustment at the same time.

Thanks again for the tip on the grease for the cable lug. Looks like good stuff.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:41 PM

I squirt a little chain lube on the clutch barrel at the lever about every 300 miles when Iube the chain.

David
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Weljo.. I just ordered a tub from Amazon as well as a can of cable lube and the device that clamps on to inject the lube. Gonna perform my first maintenance on the clutch cable. With all the breakage lately, I am going to try to be preventive. Will take the time to do a "by the book" cable adjustment at the same time.

Thanks again for the tip on the grease for the cable lug. Looks like good stuff.

The Versys is the easiest cable to lube i've seen on a street bike. Look at the cable adjustments and count the threads that are showing. Then loosen up the adjuster all the way.Then line up the adjuster and clutch handle slots pull the cable toward you and slip through the slots and pull the pin out of the lever. After lubing and putting grease on the end just re-install and tighten everything up to how it was before you started. You only need to take off the cable at the clutch lever. Make sure you cover the luber with a rag before you start spraying the lube if not it goes everywhere

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The Versys is the easiest cable to lube i've seen on a street bike. Look at the cable adjustments and count the threads that are showing. Then loosen up the adjuster all the way.Then line up the adjuster and clutch handle slots pull the cable toward you and slip through the slots and pull the pin out of the lever. After lubing and putting grease on the end just re-install and tighten everything up to how it was before you started. You only need to take off the cable at the clutch lever. Make sure you cover the luber with a rag before you start spraying the lube if not it goes everywhere
I plan on recruiting the wife to play catch on the other end of the cable when I shoot the lube through the cable housing. I plan on her wrapping the end loosely with a rag and her telling me when she gets a shot of lube!

The job does look pretty easy. Thanks for the reassurance!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
I plan on recruiting the wife to play catch on the other end of the cable when I shoot the lube through the cable housing. I plan on her wrapping the end loosely with a rag and her telling me when she gets a shot of lube!

The job does look pretty easy. Thanks for the reassurance!

There won't be a shot of lube coming out. You'll get more in the rag in your hand then in the cable it seems.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 PM

I have the same problem as you in my last 1,500 kms ride... I saw that black stuff in all that area and for sure it comes from the front sprocket.
Centrifugal force is greater in that area so the lubricant it's always going to come off the chain, no matter what lub you use.
After 1000 kms of ride (without carrying my chain lube ) I had to stop at an oil shop in the middle of nowhere, ask for some engine oil and a rag and lubricate my chain, but the effect did not last long. After about 250 kms the chain was dry again and making unpleasant noises.. I could finally get a good chain lube and the problem ends. Now that I'm in home again I will completely clean the chain and spray it again with my Dupont Teflon Chain Lube.

it is what it is...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 PM

I've been off the teflon for a while now, WD-40 is my new lube of choice.
Cheaper, cleaner and has 1001 other uses.

But I like old school ways, like vinegar and water for windows, baking soda etc.
Too much specific cleaners, oils, lubes, gotta have too many shelves to hold all the crap!

There comes a time when one has to say enough is enough.
Sometimes less is more. Yeah, it feeds my inherent cheapness too.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Its advisable to clean/service the front sprocket area once a while as the speed sensor is there.

I do it every two months or about 2000k kilometres to keep it in shape.
Not a difficult job, anyway i do enjoy my time with the bike, if not riding so washing cleaning and polishing and adding farkles is all my life/time with bike.

you get a personal feeling with a personal touch.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
I've been off the teflon for a while now, WD-40 is my new lube of choice.
Cheaper, cleaner and has 1001 other uses.
WD40 is a cleaning solvent, not a lube.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Well, FWIW - I got 55,000 kms out of the OEM chain on my '04 KLR650, cleaned and lubed with ONLY WD40.
Big Red has 25,000 miles on the OEM chain, while the Green Hornet has 10,000 kms on its, all on WD40. If it ain't lubing it, then it's doing something good!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Well, FWIW - I got 55,000 kms out of the OEM chain on my '04 KLR650, cleaned and lubed with ONLY WD40.
Big Red has 25,000 miles on the OEM chain, while the Green Hornet has 10,000 kms on its, all on WD40. If it ain't lubing it, then it's doing something good!
Please be aware gti20vturbo is correct WD40 may lube for a little bit but does not have full chain lube properties!! Just sayin no right or wrong thing, maybe check it out thats all.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 09-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RSparky3 View Post
I squirt a little chain lube on the clutch barrel at the lever about every 300 miles when Iube the chain.

David
+1 Exactamundo. On that clutch cable adjustment remember that adjusting at the lever is a fine adjustment for periodic tweeks, the coarse adjustment is on the clutch end of the cable. If you're lubing the barrel then the cable will last long enough to where you will run out of adjustment at the lever.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
pic of said adjustment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch adj.jpg (655.6 KB, 261 views)

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 PM

I tried WD40 once but I feel like the chain was too "loose" (if the term is right...) and noisy. When I apply my DuPont Chain Lube, the chain is more silent, quieter... that also should mean something

it is what it is...
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Please be aware gti20vturbo is correct WD40 may lube for a little bit but does not have full chain lube properties!! Just sayin no right or wrong thing, maybe check it out thats all.
Remember that when you "lube" an O-ring chain you are NOT lubing it (the lube was sealed in it when it was made). What you are doing is lubing the interface between the side-plates and the O-rings so that they don't seize and "gall", tearing them, which will then allow the grease out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
There is some grease on new chains behind the X (O,Z) rings, but it can't stay there indefinitely. Proper chain lube penetrates, then thickens and becomes more tacky, to lubricate the chain plates, pins, rollers and X rings. The X rings can only allow less frequent lubing.

http://www.did-coltd.com/english/tec...pdf/tec006.pdf

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29

Chain lube inevitably collects around front sprocket... Maxima's synthetic chain guard is easy to clean off, especially compared to chain wax.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Quote:
Remember that when you "lube" an O-ring chain you are NOT lubing it (the lube was sealed in it when it was made). What you are doing is lubing the interface between the side-plates and the O-rings so that they don't seize and "gall", tearing them, which will then allow the grease out.
For those who've followed this thread, or at least, the part about using WD40 as chain-lube:

Yesterday, at 10,052 kms (6,232 miles) I adjusted my chain for the FIRST time since I set the bike up after buying it NEW last November. There was just a little 'slop' in the chain, and I turned the adjusting bolts TWO FLATS ( that's 1/3 of a turn!) to get it back to 1" of slack.

For those who might have missed it - I ONLY lube it with WD40, and I ride dirt as well as pavement! BTW, I use WD40 in bulk (I get the gallon size) which has a higher proportion of the lube vs the carrier than do the spray cans.

Guess IF I was to use a proper chain-lubing concoction, I wouldn't have had to spend the 10 minutes I did, adjusting the chain....

And here's a picture of my chain....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06811.JPG (100.3 KB, 185 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-28-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode