Grinding around my front sproket... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grinding around my front sproket...

So I read another post on here about over-tightining the chain and getting some grinding noies....I think I have done this to my Bike. I have ordered a new chain and sproket set (thanks for your posts on what i should get) and then went outside to tighten my chain so it wont "slap around" untill i get the new stuff in. I wasn't paying attention and i overtightened the chain, and then loosened it back to where it should be. But when i drove down the driveway to test it out, I immedeatly heard this bad grinding sound. I went back, loosened it some more and still got the grinding. So i put it on back tire stand and took off the chain cover and turned the back tire/chain and there is definatly some grinding going on around the front sprocket area... WHAT HAVE I DONE!! This is my daily driver... lol and my only veichle! So it makes perfect sence that I just screwed something up haha. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM

I think it would take a lot to screw up your countershaft and / or seals in the short amount of time that your chain was too tight, but I suppose it is possible. When you remove the CS sprocket to install the new one, check the seal. "Grinding sound" can be interpreted a thousand different ways. Any way to post a UTube video of you free-spinning the wheel on a stand? That might help some of the forum members diagnose the issue.

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Garage
As my chain/sprocket set came to the end of its useful life, I got a whole lot more grinding sound out of it at low speeds, and a bit of whine at higher speeds. I noticed significant wear on the front sprocket. That was at 18800 miles. I also had to start adjusting it more frequently. When you tighten your chain, do you measure the play in the chain before re-tightening your rear axle nut? Did you make sure that the chain was properly aligned after tightening/loosening it?

How many miles are on your chain/sprockets?

Last edited by Mursili; 09-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM

Did you lubricate your chain? You might need to lube it everyday if your chain is about to go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's probably just your chain and front sprocket that are worn out.

Last edited by invader; 09-10-2011 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 05:12 AM

Are you using DID's VX2 chain? Told problems used on ER6 and Versys.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Is your rear wheels aligned correctly? The chain plates could be grinding the with the teeth due to misaligned wheel. U can see it on the rear sprocket where the teeth is skewed to one side of the chain.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 AM

It just occurred to me that the front sprocket 'thickness' may be different from the stock sprocket causing an offset in position. Hence the chain could be in some sort of an environment just like in a racing bicycle multiple gear deraileur system during a gear change. I can't find a better way to describe it.

You may have placed the new sprocket on the wrong side in. Just a thought.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode