Anyone else get bored this weekend and build something with their son? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else get bored this weekend and build something with their son?

So, like the title states I got bored this weekend and decided to address a long over due carb sinc on my project bike. Didnít have a manometer and didnít feel like throwing $100 down the road buying one and since Iím cheap found others had mad one that works just as well at home.

Off to the back yard with the boy to hunt down some left over wood from last months deck build and found the perfect 2x8 and a couple of pre-cut 1x6ís. Screwed them together and a couple coats of paint and you have the makings of less floor space in your garage.

Had my son help draw some lines with his trusty Sharpe and weíre well on our way.

No Father / Son project would be complete without a name so ďThe Suck-O-MeterĒ was born.

Down to the hardware store for some tubing, pipe ĎTís and couplers to go with the vacuum tube already in the shop. We needed a way of reducing and equalizing the vacuum but had a hell of a time finding something out here in the sleepy little village of the Wack. Some cold drinks for us went by before my little brain thought about jamming some left over pilot jets into the rubber vacuum tube. Should work, right?

Some old automatic transmission fluid put the final bow on the project and was a real sense of accomplishment for my son and me. Now to test it out.

No pictures of the test but suffice to say she works, too well. I confirmed that I have a slight leak in two carbs and will need to address it this winter. Got it close but not perfect.

Anyway, Iím sure there are a hundred of these around but none build by my son and I. Also I told my son it's a MAN-o-meter. Cheers and thanks for reading.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM

My son is in his second year of Tech school.

Yesterday I was supposed to take my NEW V there and give him a ride. I picked up a piece of wire in the back tire before I left, so Bike is out of commission for a day or two. I rode my BMW down there (2.5 hours) and took him out to do some shopping and a steak dinner. Time well spent.

I like your manometer. Mine is made out of a piece of furring strip (1X2?). All my bikes are twins.

David
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I liked everything about your article except that it took being bored to do something with your son. Nice looking tool.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Awesome, nice father&son project
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Too cool!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I liked everything about your article except that it took being bored to do something with your son. Nice looking tool.
Hehe, I thought about that too. Sounds horrible doesn't it. The boy and I were in one of those 'last weekends of summer' funks and just got outside together. The day was pretty good though, build with my son, icecream with the family and a hot tub later with my wife.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Garage
Very nice suck-o-meter.

In the end when I needed a manometer to sync the throttle bodies on the Versys, I just hung a long bit of tubing with some water in it over a ladder placed near the bike. I connected the ends of the tubes to the throttle bodies' ports.

Getting the water into the tube without a lot of bubbles in it was by far the hardest problem.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM

My boy is 6 and he loves building things and learning about mechanical stuff with me. He is also very much into playing "Angry Birds" on my phone. So, a couple weeks ago, he asked me if we could make a real Angry Birds slingshot and use it to knock down structures that he would assemble with 2x4s. Sounds like fun to me, so off we went to Lowe's to source some PVC pipe, bungee cords, nuts and bolts. Screwed it all down to a wooden base for support. It works like a charm. I let him do all the work that I knew he could do safely.

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by emdavis197; 09-06-2011 at 11:40 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM

My son is in his second year of college but we still manage to come up with some interesting projects. This weekend we were shooting the pellet gun in the back yard when I had this crazy idea of shooting pellets in the M4.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Those both look like fun. It's funny how the toys change over the years but boys are alway boys. Good times witht he kids. Nothing cooler than being a dad.

IBA# 38547
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Well got to thinking how to make each line work independently of each other and some tips from another forum led me to make some changes with the boy this morning after his one hour of school.

Added a resevoir and vent tube in hopes that each tube would draw separately but ended up with 4 big straws that almost sucked in some fluid if it wasnt for a quick kill switch finger.:laughing

With little brain fully engaged I thought, hmm, maybe plug up the vent tube but that just got me back to where I already was. A little more coffee and some more dead brain cells led me to poking a very small hole in the vent tube plug in hopes of limiting the amount of air that back fills the resevoir. Success. Now all tubes work independently and don't suck in fluid. I might change the fluid type though as ATF just seems to light. The red is cool looking though. hehe.

Now all I have to do is find the vacuum leak on numver 3 carb that is causing a hang on throttle chop.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm not sure that there is anything better than working on something together with your son. Mine is 28, and we still have a great time. This past winter we worked on getting a 1980 Honda CX 500 Custom on the road. We got home to CT from RI in a pick up. We had a ball. Runs great, but we just now developed a gas leak which we need to address soon.
He may be moving to Brooklyn soon, so it may have to go. Too bad, it was fun while it lasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode