Need Tips on Keep Tire Clean During Chain Cleaning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need Tips on Keep Tire Clean During Chain Cleaning

Anyone have some useful tips on keeping the rear tire clean during a chain cleaning? What I mean by this is, if I use Kerosene, sometimes some of it drips off onto the tire. The kerosene will then get extremely stick and won;t come off the tire.

Does anyone have tips for this? Do people wrap their tire before beginning or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Anyone have some useful tips on keeping the rear tire clean during a chain cleaning? What I mean by this is, if I use Kerosene, sometimes some of it drips off onto the tire. The kerosene will then get extremely stick and won;t come off the tire.

Does anyone have tips for this? Do people wrap their tire before beginning or am I missing something?
I have never cleaned any of my chains, waste of time... I just wipe them down with a rag once in a while (maybe spray the rag with WD 40) and then just add Dupont's Chain Saver... I usually get 35,000kms + out of my chains...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
I have never cleaned any of my chains, waste of time... I just wipe them down with a rag once in a while (maybe spray the rag with WD 40) and then just add Dupont's Chain Saver... I usually get 35,000kms + out of my chains...
Agreed. I wipe the chain really good with a rag (once a year) and then reapply the Dupont Teflon Spray. I do wedge a long piece of cardboard between the chain and the muffler to keep the spray off of everything. Also place a second piece of cardboard on the ground to catch any drippings.

I lube my chain with the teflon spray after each refueling. Takes 3 minutes including putting on the stand and taking down.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Agreed. I wipe the chain really good with a rag (once a year) and then reapply the Dupont Teflon Spray. I do wedge a long piece of cardboard between the chain and the muffler to keep the spray off of everything. Also place a second piece of cardboard on the ground to catch any drippings.

I lube my chain with the teflon spray after each refueling. Takes 3 minutes including putting on the stand and taking down.
OK so both of you seem to use the Dupont Chain Saver.. do you spray it with the saver, wait for it to dry, then add your own chain lube?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I use the DuPont teflon spray as well. Sometimes I do clean the chain before applying, other times I don't, but either way I use a piece of cardboard between the chain and rest of the bike to keep spray from getting all over. I've found that the teflon spray can start to leave a waxy build-up if not cleaned off occasionally, but that may be due to my over-application of it as well. I'm defintiely a fan of the teflon spray though, the chain looks super clean, water beads-up on it, and it seems to last a long time.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 AM

I clean mine carefully only spraying the chain directly where the muffler is while spinning the rear tire slowly. I wipe it clean with a rag or paper towels then wipe off the muffler.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
OK so both of you seem to use the Dupont Chain Saver.. do you spray it with the saver, wait for it to dry, then add your own chain lube?
The Teflon spray IS the chain lube. Nothing else added. I buy mine at Lowes. Not being a grease, it does not fling everywhere.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:45 PM

MAXIMA chain wax. Stays on, won't fly off. Tip has variable flow, so it doesn't spray everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Thank you, what I am doing now is not working.

Gonna try it.

David

Quote:
The Teflon spray IS the chain lube. Nothing else added. I buy mine at Lowes. Not being a grease, it does not fling everywhere.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The Teflon spray IS the chain lube. Nothing else added. I buy mine at Lowes. ...

Just to avoid any confusion...

As seen at the link you provided, there’s several different DuPont Teflon... spray `chain’ products. Most notably the “Multi-Use” and the “Chain Saver”.

Naudan is talking about the “Chain Saver”. I (like you) use the “Multi-Use” (blue can) and have had GREAT results with it, i.e., I’ve used it from Day-1 / 0-Miles and I currently have over 32,000 miles on the chain and it’s still within spec.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Just to avoid any confusion...

I (like you) use the “Multi-Use” (blue can) and have had GREAT results with it, i.e., I’ve used it from Day-1 / 0-Miles and I currently have over 32,000 miles on the chain and it’s still within spec.
Thanks for pointing that out. I use the blue can as well. Have since zero miles as well.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I use the blue can as well. Have since zero miles as well.

Blue can here, too. I've used it since I read a review of 8-10 different products by one of the mags. Cheap, easy to find, easy to apply. Goes on wet then "dries". I use it on my bicycle chains, too.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I simply spray my chain with Full strength Simple Green, its bio degradable and won't hurt anything.

I let it sit a while then hose it off....

I been using Liquid Wrench Chain lube....spray it on and let it sit still it gets tacky. Clean up and drips with the simply green and a rag,,,,easy peesy....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
No, the Dupont Chain saver "IS" the lube... I add nothing else....

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 PM

I use the new version in the yellow can called Dupont Chain saver... I used to use the one in the blue can...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.7 KB, 48 views)

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 09-04-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode