What chain to use? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What chain to use?

What chain do you guys use when it comes time to replace your chain. My Oem has lasted 21000 miles but its lookin like its time to change it. Whar are your suggestions? and what kind of chain tool should I get? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 AM

I have the chain breaker press and riveting tool and it works great. Any brand name 520 chain should be fine. I did go with the gold DID for my replacement after seeing someone here post it and it does look awesome if you keep it clean. I'm great at lubing the chain but seldom clean it as I seldom go off road so next time I'm not paying the extra $ for coloring.

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...e/Chain%20Tool

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

There may be `better’ chains out there but I’ve got 32,000 miles on my current OEM EK chain and it’s still well within spec... so I’m staying with EK.

I just bought one of their 520MVXZ (the retail replacement for the OEM unit) and have it sitting on the shelf. I’m planning on changing it during my winter overhaul `just because’.

I bought mine from http://www.moto-chains.com

Before I purchased it online, I called them to verify which type of Master Link it came with because EK lists 2 types of Pin/Rivet links (MLJ and PL). The guy (Jay) confirmed that it was the one I wanted (MLJ) but when I received it, it had a Clip type link in the box (apparently it came from EK that way). I called them and Jay apologized & said, “I’ll get the right link out to you just as soon as I wipe the grease off my hands” ... and he did... (at no charge and with no request to return the clip link)

Mistakes happen... but IMO it’s how they are rectified that matters most. I’d buy from them again tomorrow – but if you do go for the EK, I suggest that you call & ask whatever dealer you choose to double-check the link type that’s in the box...

BTW, EK also makes an interesting “Screw Type” link and even though I’m planning on using the Rivet type, I got one of those too as a spare...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 08-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I presume Hardware you still running original sprockets, what condtion are they in, over 50,000 km thats pretty good.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 08-26-2011 at 10:21 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Yes Kiwi, I am on the original sprockets. I just changed the rear tire yesterday & while I was at it I cleaned the rear sprocket and gave it a good close look... and it is in amazingly good condition with virtually no visible signs of wear?!

I do have a replacement on order (Iím being told that theyíre currently on backorder from Japan) and when I get it Iíll take some comparative used/new measurements & pictures and post them up.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

how many links 110, 120, or 130? maybe this info is in the manuel, ill check.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 PM

114 links.. I just went through this as well.. bought a Primary Drive x-ring gold chain (DID knock off) from Rocky Mountain MC for 40% of what a DID x-ring gold cost.

also.. you may have already done this.. but try searching this site.. there are several good threads on chains and sprockets (about five in the past month.. hehe)

Last edited by robdogg; 09-01-2011 at 10:29 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Garage
I bought the set that sprocketcenter.com suggested for the Versys with the 520VM gold chain, an alloy rear sprocket and a steel front sprocket. I chose a 43-tooth rear and they sent me a 112-pin chain which fits with the smaller sprocket perfectly. I guess I did not notice the steel rear sprocket sets or I have forgotten why I chose an alloy rear. I am not too concerned about this choice since it was my front sprocket that had the only signs of wear on my first set. I figure that an alloy rear may last as long as a steel front. After 800 miles on the set, things are working fine.

The only thing that I take issue with is that I have a bit of a whine now. I am pretty sure that it is the un-damped front sprocket. It is not a big deal, though.

I also bought the RK branded chain tool at the same time from sprocketcenter.com. It worked like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode