Extra cooling fan? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra cooling fan?

I've read a few threads here in regards to engine temps and the V's ability to keep the engine cool. However, here in Las Vegas the air temp on the road can easily climb to 120 degrees. On my last bike that had a radiator I had to add an additional fan and an override switch so I could start the fan sooner to keep it from boiling over.

With that said, for those of you living in areas where it regularly gets over 100 degrees, have you had any issues with the V not being able to keep it's cool?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
With that said, for those of you living in areas where it regularly gets over 100 degrees, have you had any issues with the V not being able to keep it's cool?

Thanks.
No problems at all. We see 100 a lot around the house during the summer. The airflow coming out of the engine area during the summer can get hot on the inside of your legs though. Glad I tend to wear riding pants.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
DR_

As long as I don't put on the radiator guard/cover I bought for it, it does fine. Once I put on the cover the fan stays on a lot more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
As long as I don't put on the radiator guard/cover I bought for it, it does fine. Once I put on the cover the fan stays on a lot more.
THAT is a most excellent bit of information!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM

I have the same problem here in southern Arizona. If I'm going less than about 35 MPH up a hill on a 100+ day (loaded trucks are numerous) my temp light will come on. Is there a super-cooling solution?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMan View Post
I have the same problem here in southern Arizona. If I'm going less than about 35 MPH up a hill on a 100+ day (loaded trucks are numerous) my temp light will come on. Is there a super-cooling solution?
Hutch from motoforum.net was already working with HEL in May to develop an oil cooler kit for ER6.

http://helusa.com/catalogue/oil-cool...oler-kits.html

http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?s...1&#entry239048

There are also billet aluminum finned oil filter like weljo has, which provide some additional cooling.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15749

Last edited by invader; 09-05-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Any updates on the oil cooler?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM

It uses an M20 X 1.5 oil filter sandwich adapter, which moves the oil filter out by about 1"... Should be ready soon:

"When ER6 engines are tuned they are known to run a little hot so rather than fitting a larger radiator and making spares more difficult we have decided that an oil cooler is the best option."

http://alexhutch77.blogspot.com/2011...ping-cool.html

Last edited by invader; 09-06-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It uses an oil filter adapter, which moves the oil filter out by I guess about 3/4"... Should be ready soon:

"When ER6 engines are tuned they are known to run a little hot so rather than fitting a larger radiator and making spares more difficult we have decided that an oil cooler is the best option."

http://alexhutch77.blogspot.com/2011...ping-cool.html
That looks bitchin'. It will interesting to see if it actually lowers the temps much.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 AM

Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 AM

I saw this yesterday on AdvRider and it gave me some ideas.
This is an aftermarket oil cooler mounted on KTM 990ADV.

Or is it better not to fix what isn't broken?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Well i drove across tx,az,nm,and ca. this summer fully loaded plus i'm 270lbs plus gear. No heat issues at all steady at 80+mph. Have an algard engine guard which cuts down on some air flow.Also an Solid Stainless Steel Radiator Cover. But i have an billet aluminun oil filter which helps and i also have a Therm-O-Bob.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0099 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

It's not an issue of it overheating while riding. It's when I'm stuck in a traffic jam or have to wait through 3 traffic light sequences. On my old bike (a KTM), just having the one fan blowing through the radiator wasn't up to the task.

However, the fan on the V is much larger and on the KTM the radiators were split and only one side had a fan. I guess I'll just ride it and hope for the best.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Some european alpine mountain pass junkies have mounted a manual switch to have the fan run also on demand. They switch it on before the engines turns hot from to much uphill racing.

But that probably won't fix "too hot at 80 mph flat"-issues. If it is an issue. Do you hear a bubbling sound after stopping?

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

That oil cooler looks like it'd be a fun, interesting project. It'd be nice if you could actually measure the oil temp in a before/after manner to see what the change is.

I'm betting you'll be just fine as is, though...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Maybe a temperature gauge that screws in place of the oil plug?

Here is one that would work with Versys /ER6n.
http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=...LE650A&lang=en

Last edited by Ivan V; 09-06-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 PM

I assisted Poochar in installing an oil temperature gauge with the standard 1/8" pipe thread temperature sender installed in the oil pressure access plug (3/8" pipe thread) with a 3/8" NPTF male to 1/8" NPTF female hex reducer bushing adaptor. Oil pressure access plug is down in front of your oil level sight glass.

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...ss_p/33220.htm
(33220-06-02 | 3/8" NPTF Male Pipe x 1/8" NPTF Female Pipe (Brass) $0.98 $0.93)

Oil pressure gauges as used by the dealer have various interchangeable fittings for different applications, including 1/8" and 3/8" pipe thread...

You can also order the 3/8" male to 1/8" female pipe thread adaptor to read engine oil temperature, from your Kawasaki dealer... Kawasaki # 57001-1233 -GAGE, OIL PRESSURE.
$5.56 from http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/Street.aspx

Poochar got the adaptor at Home Depot, and installed a Koso temperature gauge... Temperature gauges can be used for oil or coolant.

Last edited by invader; 09-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Machog's laser temperature readings of engine surfaces:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Nice hot day (by our standards) in the Pacific Northwet, about 85.

Measured the external engine temp just above the cooling fins at the top of the engine with laser thermometer.

Left side got to just over 200 with engine at idle and fan came on at 208 (not sure how accurate my Harborfreight thermometer is, but close enough). Right side ran a bit cooler 183.

Middle of exhaust got to 111.

Volts that are around 14.4 at idle didn't seem to be affected by the fan motor, dropped a tad when fan kicked on and then back up.

Someone was asking when fan kicked on the other day for the rest of you.

Machog
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Garage
temperature gauge

picture here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0&postcount=33

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in