Yet another suspension question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yet another suspension question

Hi. I bought a used Versys and wanted to adjust the suspension for my weight. I'm 210lb so I figured I would be better off tightening things down a little from the factory defaults. Here's where I have them set now:

Front Preload: 3.5 turns out from fully seated.
Front Damping: .5 turn out

Rear Preload: 1 out (Setting 6)
Rear Damping: 2 out

I'm a noob to all this. Right now it feels pretty good, pretty solid but I'm just wondering if my anything is backward in my logic (that since i'm heavier, the suspension should be a little tighter). I've already read Gustavo's thread and heeded it but I guess I'm just wondering if damping becomes a matter of personal preference once your preload is dialed in or is there some sciencey way of figuring it out?

To clarify: Like I said, the bike feels good right now, but what happens when I hit one of those seemingly hundreds of nasty bumps on the interstate on my way to work in the morning? What should I expect as compared to the "softer" factory defaults?

Last edited by samill2; 08-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If I were you, I'd try increasing fork preload to about 1 turn counterclockwise from all the way in clockwise, and leave rebound at ~1/2 turn out.
Rear spring preload at 3 or 4 clicks (position #4 or #3), out with rebound damping at 8~10 clicks out from hardest.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by samill2 View Post
Hi. I bought a used Versys and wanted to adjust the suspension for my weight. I'm 210lb so I figured I would be better off tightening things down a little from the factory defaults. Here's where I have them set now:

Front Preload: 3.5 turns out from fully seated.
Front Damping: .5 turn out

Rear Preload: 1 out (Setting 6)
Rear Damping: 2 out

I'm a noob to all this. Right now it feels pretty good, pretty solid but I'm just wondering if my anything is backward in my logic (that since i'm heavier, the suspension should be a little tighter). I've already read Gustavo's thread and heeded it but I guess I'm just wondering if damping becomes a matter of personal preference once your preload is dialed in or is there some sciencey way of figuring it out?

To clarify: Like I said, the bike feels good right now, but what happens when I hit one of those seemingly hundreds of nasty bumps on the interstate on my way to work in the morning? What should I expect as compared to the "softer" factory defaults?
front springs are to soft for your weight go to the race tech site for details no matter what you do the front will dive through the stroke on heavy braking or rough terrain with the standard spring rate. Rear is ok as per invaders settings.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For a 210 lbs rider, it was good with maximum preload on stock fork springs, but with 15W fork oil instead of original 10W oil... It's great now with about 5 psi in the forks (capped forks cooled to 20 degrees F) at 3 turns out on preload and 1 turn out rebound damping, with 13.5W fork oil.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 AM
ggg

Got my bike back from the suspension tunner today and found out some interesting facts, the rear shock is rebuildable for $315 auzzie dollars i can get gold valves,damping customised and a regasing valve installed, this is a better option for me, no stuffing around with other brand shocks, the spring weight is already correct for my weight and after the revalve i have no need to adjust compression damping if set up correctly.
I only had the forks done today because thats the biggest issue ATM, after speaking to the tunner the route cause of the forks is a too soft spring together with a poor under done damping circuit which compounds the spring issue further, i had installed a .95kg spring with mods to both rebound and damping circuits , the result... no diving under braking, a slightly higher ride height with a smoother but firmer ride, the bike is not wallowing now thankfully, good tires are next then the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode