Fast Idle - Subthrottle Sensor Adjust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fast Idle - Subthrottle Sensor Adjust

So here's the deal: My cold start fast idle is a little unruly.
- From what I remember, fast idle was right at around 2K when I first got the bike
- about a week later it started out with a rough fast idle at about 1600 rpm and crept up over 5-10 seconds to 1900 rpm for the duration of the warm up
- I adjusted the main throttle sensor 1/2 mm; this smoothed out throttle response at lower rpm -- I like the ride much better like this
- I did not measure TPS voltages (didn't immediately figure out how to do so inline, with connector connected)
- bike runs great once warmed up
- after multiple subthrottle sensor adjustments I've got it down to settle at around 2K rpm, but it still starts out a bit rough when cold (air temps not below low 50s F) -- some hesitation, starts out lower than 2K and slowly works its way there
- normal/warm idle seems to move -- I'll set it to 1350, or so, but then later at a stop light it will be at 1500, e.g.
- also, is it normal for the idle/idle needle to fluctuate by about 50 rpm, or should the needle be rock steady?

more info:
- '08 model, put into service Apr '11
- bought a couple weeks ago w/ 1K miles on it
- now has 1800 miles
- FI light flashed the other day when I pushed it past 7500 rpm; repeated it a couple times, then it stayed off
- no stored codes from mode 2

Any ideas? invader to the white courtesy phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You tried recovering codes set in memory by doing this?:
-KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal (orange/black single female connector under seat) rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session.

There has to be a code set in memory... Do you hear the subthrottle valve actuator cycle normally when you turn ignition on?

Last edited by invader; 08-19-2011 at 09:50 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You tried recovering codes set in memory by doing this?:
-KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal (orange/black single female connector under seat) rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session.

There has to be a code set in memory... Do you hear the subthrottle valve actuator cycle normally when you turn ignition on?
Yes. I surprised not to find a code. Hmm.

And, yes, I do believe the normal startup buzzes and whirz occur. Subthrottle valve actuator positions itself. Today after work it went to 3K and then dropped to 2K ... but still with a few hiccups here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode