It won't start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It won't start

When I try to start my V the starter clicks really fast (sounds like a short, but I think it is just the starter). Battery or starter?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM

It could be the battery, the starter, or any connection between the two.

Checking that the connections are clean & tight along the way...

Check the voltage at the battery. If itís low, charge it. If itís good...

Check the voltage at the battery while hitting the starter button. If itís low, itís probably the battery (although it could be an abnormally high draw from a shorted starter Ė but that would probably be blowing a fuse). If itís good...

Check the voltage at the starter while hitting the starter button. If itís good itís probably the starter.

If the voltage at the starter is low, check the voltage drop across the starter relay (while hitting the starter button). If itís substantial itís probably the starter relay.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Grab your volt meter and trouble shoot just like Hardware says. But 2008 Versys, year 2011 means the battery is three years old. That's about when they start to die. If it is the battery you might try putting the it on a trickle charger for a day or two. That sometimes buys you a couple extra months.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
When I try to start my V the starter clicks really fast (sounds like a short, but I think it is just the starter). Battery or starter?
BATTERY" is my bet.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
BATTERY" is my bet.
+1

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

The battery is three years old and with the heat we have had I will replace the battery tonight and see what happens. It does remind me of a weak car battery, but most of the sealed batteries I have had in recent vehicles just died when they went bad. They didn't die slowly.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Battery or starter?
I imagine you have given your battery a workout lately working on your headlight relay diagnosis. Have you kept it hooked up to a maintainer such as a battery tender? If not, you may not have ridden enough to put the charge back into the battery.

I would go ahead and get a good quality battery for cheap insurance anyway. Getting stranded really sux.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

It isn't a lack of riding, as I ride to work most everyday. The headlight relay problem did cause me to have to start it several times every trip, since it would eventually come on. I don't have any issues replacing the battery after three years. Yes, it would suck getting stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the battery and all is good! Cycle Gear had a battery and put it on the charger for me so that it would be ready when I picked it up.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I replaced the battery and all is good! Cycle Gear had a battery and put it on the charger for me so that it would be ready when I picked it up.
Kewel, glad to hear it!
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Getting stranded really sux.
As light as the Versys is you could probably get her rolling, hop on and pop the clutch in 3rd gear. I've had to do that many times over the years.

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
As light as the Versys is you could probably get her rolling, hop on and pop the clutch in 3rd gear. I've had to do that many times over the years.
I have read the fuel injected bikes with little or no juice for the fuel pump cannot be roll started. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I have rolled many a carb'd bikes over the years. Thankfully never had to try a FI bike.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I had enough juices to run the fuel pump and gauges. I have roll started it before, but you do have to have enough juice to run the fuel pump.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I had enough juices to run the fuel pump and gauges. I have roll started it before, but you do have to have enough juice to run the fuel pump.
Good to know!
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Glad it sorted, Steve.

It's a bummer getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead bike.
Fixing a voltmeter onboard might give some early warning or if something is wrong with the charging on the go.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, I almost got stranded. After meeting up with several Versys riders at Deal's Gap it stalled on the way home and it wouldn't start. I was lucky enough to have enough of a charge to bump start it on a small hill near where it stalled. I made it home, but the battery was just about dead. I looks like the restinace of the stator is too high. .6 instead of between .18 and .27, plus I don't get any voltage when I check the Alternator output.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily... Bump staring in 2nd gear on a little incline involves the rear wheel spinning, thus spinning the crank.. If the crank is spinning then you are getting juice from the stator/alterator right?... There is the power you need to operate the fuel pump, right?

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Not necessarily... Bump staring in 2nd gear on a little incline involves the rear wheel spinning, thus spinning the crank.. If the crank is spinning then you are getting juice from the stator/alterator right?... There is the power you need to operate the fuel pump, right?
I don't think so, but I'm not an expert. When you turn the key on a lot of things happen, including firing up the fuel pump. You might be able to roll it far enough or do all of that, but it would take a pretty good hill.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I think I might have found the problem.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
so it take about 3 years to cook up the alternator.

mine is 09 so another year, might just go and get it replaced.

thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode