Avoid HID kits - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Avoid HID kits

If anyone is going to spend money on a HID conversion kit my advice is skip it. Instead if you have a large budget check out something like the Dennalli aux LED lights Twisted Throttle sells or something similar.

I bought an H7 HID kit on Ebay a few months back. This is a kit that includes a HID bulb with an H7 base so it will just snap in to the reflector housing like the old halogen bulb. It also includes the ballast and transformer every HID kit requires. Cost was minimal at $29 + shipping. It included a H7 HID bulb as well as ballast, etc.

Installing it I applied a slight amount of twisting pressure to the HID bulb and heard a crack. Although there were no visible cracks in the bulb I could see I assume there was a crack in the base somewhere that was not visible as it did not work. I then ordered a pair of replacement HID bulbs for $20. Installing one of the bulbs when they arrived got the system working. I liked the pure white light during daytime driving as I feel it made me stand out against a background of yellow headlights but visibility at night was no better as HID bulb did not focus as well as the halogen bulb in the reflector unit. Fast forward 4 weeks. My HID bulb or ballast has burned out and I'm going back to a halogen bulb in my low beam. My high beam was always Halogen - HID bulbs don't work for high beam because like most florescent type bulbs they take 30seconds or so to come up to full output. After my experience my advice would be to live with the existing lighting and adjust your headlight aim or spend more money on another alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
If anyone is going to spend money on a HID conversion kit my advice is skip it. Instead if you have a large budget check out something like the Dennalli aux LED lights Twisted Throttle sells or something similar.

I bought an H7 HID kit on Ebay a few months back. This is a kit that includes a HID bulb with an H7 base so it will just snap in to the reflector housing like the old halogen bulb. It also includes the ballast and transformer every HID kit requires. Cost was minimal at $29 + shipping. It included a H7 HID bulb as well as ballast, etc.

Installing it I applied a slight amount of twisting pressure to the HID bulb and heard a crack. Although there were no visible cracks in the bulb I could see I assume there was a crack in the base somewhere that was not visible as it did not work. I then ordered a pair of replacement HID bulbs for $20. Installing one of the bulbs when they arrived got the system working. I liked the pure white light during daytime driving as I feel it made me stand out against a background of yellow headlights but visibility at night was no better as HID bulb did not focus as well as the halogen bulb in the reflector unit. Fast forward 4 weeks. My HID bulb or ballast has burned out and I'm going back to a halogen bulb in my low beam. My high beam was always Halogen - HID bulbs don't work for high beam because like most florescent type bulbs they take 30seconds or so to come up to full output. After my experience my advice would be to live with the existing lighting and adjust your headlight aim or spend more money on another alternative.
i dont know what kind of hid kit u bought, but it must have been super cheap. my slim hid kit was 85$ and has a one year free replacement on any part. maybe you shouldnt touch the bulb with ur greazzy hands.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM

not sure you touched it with your bare hands but at 29 bucks. me thinks you bought a second if not a third or fourth.

Love mine. Bought it through the dealership for less than ebay and no freight. I love my dealer for accessories. But get out the lube when you pay for service. Especially the service that was not performed. : (

Ride em if ya got em!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Since the Versys uses both the high and low beam at the same time when you select high beam you could use one on your high beam as well. I have never seen an aftermarket HID last much longer than one year though.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 AM

I put HIDS in all my bikes, and some of my cars and have had one dual beam bulb lose one of it's elements and had one ballast flake out. Other than that, no problems over several years and I buy the cheap ebay ones. With the low ebay prices you can get a pair of replacement bulbs for less than a better halogen set at Walmart. i think the budget halogens I bought at Walmart for a car I was selling was about $10. The last set of HID bulbs I bought on ebay were $15 delivered.

I recently put a set of HIDs in the V and was very happy with the performance. I did have a minor problem when I had kicked the bike over enough to turn the headlights on but not start the bike. If I had both beams on at the time, the startup current draw would blow the fuse. I bumped the fuse up a level and no more problem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

I managed to trace this issue to a loose connection in head light plug so it does not appear this last issue is related to a failed bulb or ballast as I originally thought.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM

I have an HID on my low beam (haven't done the high beam yet), and it is fine. I had them on my 250 Ninja for about a year before I sold it, and now on my truck for a few months. Never a problem with any of them. I get mine from ddmtuning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Was thinking about going to HID lighting, but went with PIAA high intensity H7 bulbs instead. Got them for both the low and high beams and the difference is pretty significant. Much whiter light with a good pattern, and no changing of the wiring or adding a ballast. Yes, they cost a bit more than regular replacement bulbs, but worth it to me, though YMMV...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 AM

There are legal bulbs especially made for motorcyclists over here in Europe called Phillips Motovision. Their light is ~30% brighter than normal and white to the road, but the catch is this: Your headlamp looks completely yellow to all observers, which makes you stand out. I have used them on all of my bikes so far, and I feel that it does make difference in getting noticed. Lifetime is 25000mls so far on my other bike.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use projectors with HID (I know, some work to do...) but it's amazing!!
Had no problem until now.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode