Cutting the kickstand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cutting the kickstand

I'm prepping my tool list in preparation of ordering the lowering kit.

I am now convinced that I need my feet solidly on the ground. I think my two mishaps could have been averted had I been able to flat my feet and brace my legs better.

Anyway when cutting the kickstand to install the flatfoot piece what exactly do you use? A hacksaw? Reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade? A welding torch? A lightsaber?

Also is the cut made at an angle or just straight across?

Figure I'd ask now so I have all my information and tools ready prior to ordering so when it gets here I borrow a lift and just knock it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I used a hack saw...didn't take very long....You could use a sawzall..it hollow so cutting it isn't to difficult.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM

i used a 4 1/2" grinder with metal blade.
went through it like butter its soft surprisingly. i also cut it at a slight angle

Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 AM

I used a Dremel tool, with a cutting wheel. Make a straight cut. I cut off a quarter inch, checked the lean, then cut again; until I was satisfied. Leave the Flatfoot a little loose, put it on the ground, then tighten so that it's flat to the ground.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 AM

I used a reciprocating saw.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM

Don't lower it, just ride more and get used to it. Plan your stops and starts better. Unless you don't care about giving up some of the best bang for buck handling qualities out there. Neither my wife or I can flat foot any of our bikes. Its not required.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM

If a hacksaw is what's available it will work fine, though it may mean removing the sidestand to cut it. An angle-grinder with a cut-off blade makes it pretty easy to do on the bike. I ended up re-cutting mine as there wasn't enough lean the first time. I think you'll be pleased with the results of lowering the bike.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM

A simple test to determine if a bike needs to be lowered. Can you stop with your right foot on the ground and lower the kickstand with your left foot? If the answer is yes then the bike is not to tall. This is pretty much how we determine the if a bike is ride-able or not for my wife. She is only 4'11" and 110 lbs.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM

IMHO, rider level-of-experience is a big factor in determining whether lowering is helpful. If a rider finds himself dropping the bike frequently when going slow or stopped, and can't get his feet flat, then lowering will help. For me, it made a huge difference in my confidence and enjoying the bike. On the other hand, I know experienced dirt-bike competitors who ride very well and can barely touch the ground with their toes.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Medium skilled rider, low skill technician.

Planned stopping is not the issue. Sudden stops where the bike is leaned or the front wheel turned is where my concern lies.

The final straw in my argument to self on lowering my V was made today. I couldn't get my foot down fast enough to brace myself. At 1mph with the wheel turned and having to stop sudddenly there was zero time to resupport and brace.

Sadly I've had the slow turn stop suddenly incident once before on a lower, lighter machine (by about 100 pounds). The fact I could get my feet to flat and brace without a stretch meant I could stabilize and stop a drop.

While I love the V as it is, that ability to be able to get as much directional torque on my leg could mean the difference between a broken lever or just a stall where I'm holding the bike up without a crap ton of downward drag already in motion before my foot can touch the ground.

Let me make sure this point is summarized properly. Controlled stops (lights, stop signs, driveway, are fine) I can deal with the balls of my feet stop. It's the sudden, "I'm in a slow, front wheel turn to a sudden stop" that seems to be my bane.

Also note I try and go once a week to the local college parking lot where they do the MSF course to practice quick stops, and the infamous box to try and keep my skills up for at least an hour.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM

ER-6 sidestand

You can always use an ER-6 sidestand instead of cutting and adding flatfoot.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokis View Post
You can always use an ER-6 sidestand instead of cutting and adding flatfoot.
See thats why I ask these things. I never would have (but probably should have) thought of that. What a nifty idea.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
See thats why I ask these things. I never would have (but probably should have) thought of that. What a nifty idea.
I used ER-6 side stand also, works great - and I have the original stand to put bike back to original if needed.
Bought ER6 side stand of Eb*y for around 12 (less than $20)

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 PM

The good news is other than the side stand mod, and seems that was just remedied with the ER-6 option, it can be easily converted back to stock, not terribly expensive, and will probably sell quickly on the for sale thread if you decide you don't like it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Sudden stops where the bike is leaned or the front wheel turned is where my concern lies......At 1mph with the wheel turned and having to stop sudddenly there was zero time to resupport and brace.
Have you taken a MSF class? Just curious. I have been riding for 24 years now and took the class only 3 years ago when my wife learned to ride her own. She made me take it with her and I suggest all riders new and seasoned take it if they have not. Is fun and I guarantee you will learn something and have some fun doing so. I never thought about it but in class, they preached to never stop with your bars turned. If there is forward momentum and the bars are turned and you tap the front brakes, the bike will be propelled quickly in the opposite direction of the bars. At very slow maneuvers, use more rear brake.

As for your original question, I lowered mine and cut the kickstand off with a hacksaw. No issues and did not have to remove the kick stand. I am 5'8" and 30 inch inseam. I almost flatfoot now. I saw no loss of performance whatsoever, but I am not a track racer. I did see a vast improvement in my stops and starts. Something I found that is rarely mentioned is the ability to back the bike up when it is too tall. I had trouble backing up on my tippie toes before the lower.

Good luck, You will not regret it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I've been taking notes on this thread so when I do order the kit I'll have it all ready to rock.

I did take the course because I haven't sat on a motorcycle in 15 years almost and sadly the oh crud moment made the advice about straightening up to go right out of my head this morning. I blame the early AM time and panic My friend who is an avid rider laughed a bit. His words were "You paniced cause a cat ran under your bike, but when your shifter came off your ninja at 65MPH you were like, MEH and kept cool. WTH man?!"

To better prepare myself for the future I'll be hitting the local college lot where they host the MSF again to go practice stops in turns again this weekend since the course won't be used.

I'm comfortable with quick emergency stops while straight now its time to re-drill the reflex into me to straighten the bars so its muscle memory for emergency stops in turns. Small price to pay to remind me to practice that. If it makes me safer in the future I won't sweat it. I got my skin intact (YEAH for full gear this morning) so I'm feeling a lot better about it, now that the anger and panic wore off.

I worried more about squishing the little beasty than my own hide.

Also I'm already working on getting scheduled for the Intermediate Course next spring.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
You mentioned not wanting a broken clutch lever - add handguards (mine are ZETA XC's). I 'low-sided' at 15 to 20 mph and only scraped them, and my H-B crash-bars.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM

ER6 side stand

Maybe it's just my V, but I've lowered it front and rear w/o touching the sidestand. It still leans over far enough that I'm not worried about it tipping over to the right. AND it feels less top-heavy since I don't have to wrestle it upright. Maybe it already has an ER6 sidestand on it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011.7.15.1.JPG (885.2 KB, 110 views)

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I had trouble backing up on my tippie toes before the lower.
+100 this! I miss being able to back up while seated I can do it on level or sloped ground but its not comfortable.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Don't lower it, just ride more and get used to it. Plan your stops and starts better. Unless you don't care about giving up some of the best bang for buck handling qualities out there. Neither my wife or I can flat foot any of our bikes. Its not required.
I respectfully disagree. I think it handles better for me lowered. I feel I can go deeper into a turn without feeling like I'm going to dump the bike. In my mind, it made a good handling bike into a great handling bike.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in