Broken Fuel Pump Outlet Fix - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Broken Fuel Pump Outlet Fix

Removed the tank on my 08 to clean the air filter and (tried to) carefully place it on a towel on the frame without removing the fuel line. It slipped, snapping the outlet like a twig and put a nice winger in the fuel tank.

Here's the damage:

Called my dealer and found out that you have to replace the entire fuel pump at $300; there is no replacement for the cheesy $0.10 plastic outlet by itself.

Reading Zonkelnut's post on the forum about a possible fix I ran down to the hardware store and bought this for $1.69:

Zonkelnut suggested sliding the metal tube inside the plastic outlet with some glue to create a more rigid outlet. The diameter of the brass tube fits perfectly inside the outlet with just enough tension to hold it in place.

I pushed the tube all the way into the housing then backed it out an eighth of an inch or so for fuel flow clearance. With the broken piece of the outlet snug in place against the housing side with the tube inserted I made a mark on the brass tube and cut it to length.

Using JB Weld I carefully applied the epoxy in such a way as to leave non exposed inside the outlet housing. Here's the final fix.

I'll let it set for a day before reinstalling. Then it's off to the dent removal guy!

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem. This is a design flaw that could have been prevented with a stronger (metal) outlet tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
Removed the tank on my 08 to clean the air filter and (tried to) carefully place it on a towel on the frame without removing the fuel line.
That's a risk to take... I like your fix a lot though. It looks really good. So how deep in is it, when set at about 1/8" from bottoming out? You could maybe add a touch of JB weld around the tube close to the pump where you already applied it. It seems to be a bit lacking down the side.

Last edited by invader; 07-31-2011 at 11:32 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Good fix and use a little more epoxy around the joint area.

Hope it works.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's a risk to take... I like your fix a lot though. It looks really good. So how deep in is it, when set at about 1/8" from bottoming out? You could maybe add a touch of JB weld around the tube close to the pump where you already applied it. It seems to be a bit lacking down the side.
It protrudes in about 1/4" or maybe a little more. Very sturdy. I used a touch of JB Weld on the brass "liner" but not near either end so to not have any weld spill over into the tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Given the number of reports of folks breaking it (with their fingers), it appears that the nipple is at least somewhat inherently weak and as such, this might be worthwhile preemptive fix too, i.e., slipping the reinforcing tube in before it breaks.

Would anybody venture a guess as to the potential effect on flow rate through the smaller ID tube?

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think Flow Rate will matter all that much as the way the pump works is it pumps to keep the pressure in the line constant so the injectors always have fuel. Once its upto pressure, keeping it at pressure is pretty easy and does not require a very high flow rate.

Very nice fix BTW. I may take the preemptive measure myself!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
...this might be worthwhile preemptive fix too, i.e., slipping the reinforcing tube in before it breaks.

Agreed. Easy to do and there is enough tension on the tube that it could be installed with little or no adhesive.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Understand its an old thread, but if OP is still active, how is the fix holding up? I broke mine too dropping the tank(trying to balance the tank and troubleshoot a sparking problem). I bought the brass tube and its a snug fit ... Will do the remaining today.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM

How would inserting the brass tube into an unbroken housing go, as a preventative measure if you do regular servicing.??
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
How would inserting the brass tube into an unbroken housing go, as a preventative measure if you do regular servicing.??
I think that would be a very smart idea. There is enough tension between the outside of the brass tube and the inside of the plastic connector that you would not need adhesive; simply cut to size and insert. Done!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
Understand its an old thread, but if OP is still active, how is the fix holding up? I broke mine too dropping the tank(trying to balance the tank and troubleshoot a sparking problem). I bought the brass tube and its a snug fit ... Will do the remaining today.
I sold the bike last fall (September) and never had an issue between the time I repaired it (date of first post) and then. It was certainly worth the $$ to try it versus buying a complete fuel pump!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM

Thank You. You saved me a good amount of $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
I sold the bike last fall (September) and never had an issue between the time I repaired it (date of first post) and then. It was certainly worth the $$ to try it versus buying a complete fuel pump!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
Thank You. You saved me a good amount of $$.
You are welcome. I about croaked when I found out you couldn't simply replace just the plastic connector (a very poor design IMO) but rather were stuck to fork out $300 plus for the entire assembly! Someone should take the idea and sell "preventative maintenance" kits for $10 each with a few instructions!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM

The solution is very clever! I would shop eBay for a replacement and keep using that one in the meantime.

Good job!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Definitely doing this premptively next time the tank is off. Adding more JB Weld down where it is prone to break would be a good idea if anyone is squeamish about the tube insertion. Maybe a bit if fiberglass mat in the mix too.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
The solution is very clever! I would shop eBay for a replacement and keep using that one in the meantime.

Good job!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
If the repair is done right it's more than likely stronger than the stock tube.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Keep us updated on the long term results. I would be somewhat concerned with a potential fuel leak in a location not readily visible that could have space shuttle catastrophic effect.

Thanks for the post. If nothing else, it educates us folks who haven't removed the tank (yet) and will be very, very careful when the time comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode