Headlight Problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight Problem

Last week riding to work I stalled and when I restarted the bike I had no headlights (high or low beam). It was still dark but I was only about a mile from the office so I turned on the emergency flashers and rode onto work (it was almost light out). When I came out at the end of the day the headlights worked again. Now whenever I start the bike I have to make sure the headlight is on. If it isn't on, I turn off the bike and then restart it. It will come on after a few tries. When it doesn't come on the high beam won't come on either.

Any ideas? I haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM

I'd be inclined to make sure the headlight relay is OK. It senses when the alternator stator is energized and closes the headlight circuit to the headlight fuse. You could just establish whether there was voltage at and through the fuse when the engine is running.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I will check that.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

It was in fact the headlight relay. Unfortunately Kawasaki chose to use a "relay box" on the Versys that contains the the Headlight Relay, ECU Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, Starter Circuit Relay and Fan Relay. The best price I found was at Ron Ayers. It is easy to replace, but you do have to remove the cowlings and lift the back of the gas tank. But at that point you just unplug the three connectors and plug them into the new relay box.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM

You may want to check the Rectifier/Regulator output as it may be the root cause of the damaged relay. The Service manual has the procedure to check, I believe.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode