Radiator cap 0.9? 1.0? 1.1? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Radiator cap 0.9? 1.0? 1.1?

I've been having some problems with coolant boiling in the reserve tank so then I decided to replace the old cap by a new (1.1 bar) one. since I replaced the cap the coolant doesn't flow to the reserve tank anymore so I'm guessing the valve doesn't open in the cap as it doesn't reach 16 psi (1.1 bar) of pressure in the radiator.

I'm thinking to try either 0.9 (13 psi) or 1.0 (14.5 psi) cap by which I'll reduce the valve pressure to 13-14 psi and hopefully it will allow the coolant to the reserve tank.

the manual says the range should be 13.5-18 psi, so theoretically the 1.0 should fit.

what you guys think? has anyone tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 PM

Garage
I have not tried a different cap. All that I needed to do was clean up my old cap.

Invader (who is pretty well respected around here) provided some information in the following thread.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16079
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys,

I ordered the OEM 49085-1066 part from ebay for $25 plus $15 for shipping to israel. Still way cheaper than buying it here cuz here they wanted $90 for the cap.

By the way, I tried the 0.9 bar cap today and same thing.. the coolant never got to the reserve tank even after/before the fan was spinning. I think the difference is in the length of the spring in the cap. looks like bikes' caps have shorter spring.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 AM

well on my car i run distilled water and WaterWetter with a 20 psi cap. everything is fine. same concept will work on a bike. the higher the pressure the higher it raises the boiling temp of water. i acidently over heated my car and it didnt bil over until around 280-300 degrees. just a guess seeing as it was going up pretty fast since i forgot to hit the fan swith.... hahaha
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM

i like that graph
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Radiator Cap

Reviving an old thread here, but I'm having an occasional issue with coolant bubbling over into the reserve tank. Based in the comments, it sounds like the first thing to try is clean or replace the radiator cap. Sounds simple, but do I need to remove the fairing to remove the radiator cap? (Mine is an '08) I can get my fingers on the cap, but there's very little clearance. So should I just try to remove it without removing the fairing? Or does the fairing need to come off?

Thanks,

Scott

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
― Tom Waits
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM

I have a 2011 and the fairing has to come off to get the cap off. There is some kind of security linkage that prevents to cap from being removed.

I had recently flushed my radiator and refill with Toyota Long Life Coolant and a mix of Motul MoCool. I lived in a 365 days hot climate and it has never boiled over.

Is your fan working in the first place? There are cases where tiny stones gets caught up in the fan bearings and prevent it from spinning.

Also, another case where the Warning Light came momentarily on on a ER6F, which uses a 1.3 cap. After having done 2X coolant changes, the problem was still there. Finally, the radiator was removed, and overhauled. It was a case of blocked radiator.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 AM

Garage
My '08 has a wire part that is specifically placed to require that you remove the fairing to take the cap off. I solved my "gurgling" problem by cleaning the cap. It has not been a problem for over a year and about 10,000 miles.

My cap had aluminum flakes or some sort of paint over-spray (if I remember correctly what invader observed) that, once cleaned off, stayed off.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
ken

Send a message via MSN to ken Send a message via Skype™ to ken
I ve replaced the radiator cap on my last service. Tried to solve the coolant drips from the drain pipe after every ride. Also changed the coolant. But it failed. Drips again right after riding home from service.
Is that becos of other worn rubber seals on the system???
My Versys is 09 model.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:36 AM

Coolant wont flow to the reservoir if pressure doesn't exceed your cap's higher pressure rating. Higher pressure in the cooling system results in more stress on the hoses, radiator and seals. Stock Kawasaki # 49085-1066 cap is 1.1 BAR (16 PSI). It can be replaced with a Stant # 10233 or Prestone # RR-33.

50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol coolant and water normally boils at about 108.3C (227F) @ +0 psi (+0 bar). Pressurized to 14 psi more than atmospheric pressure, it's increased to about 128.3C (263F).

Evans waterless coolants have a boiling point of 190.6C (375F) @ +0 bar (+0 psi).

http://www.evanscooling.com/coolants/

If the water pump seal needs to be replaced, it has to be done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLee View Post
Hey there dirtdogger, ...I haven't posted in awhile, and this is a good time to bring everyone up to date on this leak deal. I finally figured it out! I took mine to the dealer twice under warranty, and they were more interested in collecting warranty reimbursement from Kawasaki than they were in resolving the issue. I finally purchased the parts myself from Mr. Cycles. To get to the meat of it, the dealer wasn't using a press to install the mechanical seal into the housing. The mechanical seal has a thin blue flat teflon ring around it. Unless a press is used to insert it evenly, it creates a wrinkle in this seal, and 'Wala!", ...like magic the weeper hole leaks. Although my bike has an extended warranty, I purchased the parts myself, and had the work done at my local shop (using a press of course). The result, ...no more weeper hole leaks

If your bike is leaking only coolant (no more oil) through the weeper hole, then its still okay to ride. Simply keep an eye on your overflow tank tucked behind the R/H fairing. You can get all the parts cheap from Mr. Cycles, and if you know a local shop (with a press of course), then have them replace the seals. You should be fine after that. My local shop was Metric Method here in SoCal, and Ryan did an outstanding job! I highly recommend Ryan (and any of his crew) over at Metric Method for anyone in my local area!
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...tml#Question_1

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2013 at 01:23 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 AM
ken

Send a message via MSN to ken Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Your water pump seal needs to be replaced, and it needs to be done properly.
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...tml#Question_1
Last weekend rode with few Versys (2 units '09 & 3 units '11). Realized all of us having the same problem, coolant drips after riding. I am wondering is that normal for Versys? I remember it drips since I bought the bike used on its age of 9months.

Anyway, will arrange to check the water pump seal with mechanic. First, I will check whether any dried coolant residue surrounded pump seal. That link has a good write up.

Thanks.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
I ve replaced the radiator cap on my last service. Tried to solve the coolant drips from the drain pipe after every ride. Also changed the coolant. But it failed. Drips again right after riding home from service.
My Versys is 09 model.

I had coolant dripping from the overfill hose for over a year.
Even in close to freezing ambient temperatures.
Recently, I drained the coolant thoroughly (by leaning the bike on both sides until it stopped dripping), burped the system, cleaned the radiator cap and now the drip is gone.
There was some black, sandy residue on the cap.

Bike runs the same before and after.
I've heard of a few Versys/Er6 witch drip coolant. Everyone seems to be ignoring the issue and calling it 'one of those things'.
I also know some Versyss that are being run hard with no maintenance or care and everything ticks.

Last edited by Ivan V; 06-04-2012 at 05:43 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
My Versys is 09 model.
I don't know why I said it was leaking at the pump... Coolant dripping from the coolant expansion tank is usually because it was overfilled. Coolant level should be between the 'Low' line and 'Full' line when engine is completely cooled off. It may drip from the drain pipe after a ride if coolant level is up close to Full line when cold. I keep mine at the Low line (with engine cooled down).
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM

Wow - ressurected after a year. Good, may I ask if the new bikes are shipped dry ? I understand that if the leaks come from used units/bikes, the previous owners might not have done a good preventive maintenance but if new bike leaks, were they filled with coolant/water during transit and how long have they been standing in the warehouses and at what temp/humidity ?

All these should be taken into consideration when the sales office hand the bike over. And if they cannot give any certainty of the above, should we do a once-over for all the lub and liquids within a week after the purchase ?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Wow - ressurected after a year. Good, may I ask if the new bikes are shipped dry ? I understand that if the leaks come from used units/bikes, the previous owners might not have done a good preventive maintenance but if new bike leaks, were they filled with coolant/water during transit and how long have they been standing in the warehouses and at what temp/humidity ?

All these should be taken into consideration when the sales office hand the bike over. And if they cannot give any certainty of the above, should we do a once-over for all the lub and liquids within a week after the purchase ?
Actual leaks at the water pump seal are rare. Sometimes, coolant hose clamps just need tightening.
New bikes are factory coolant filled, I believe.

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2013 at 10:08 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
This thread is about radiator pressure caps, and expansion tank overflowing/ gurgling... Actual leaks at the water pump seal are rare. Sometimes, coolant hose clamps just need tightening.
New bikes are factory coolant filled, I believe.
I would think that a higher pressure rad cap would put more pressure in the entire system and maybe brings all sort of possible leak

I also think that the best way to go for a leaky rad cap (unless the cap is kaput) or overflow is to change the coolant to something with a higher boiling point
It's what I've done and it fixed my overflow issue

My 2 cents

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 05-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I also think that the best way to go for a leaky rad cap (unless the cap is kaput) or overflow is to change the coolant to something with a higher boiling point
It's what I've done and it fixed my overflow issue
LOP
Like I mentioned before, Motul Motocool Expert and Motul Motocool Factory Line (as I have) coolants do not have a higher boiling point.

Boiling point is rated at 133C/271F for Expert, and 136C / 277F for Factory Line, but only with a +1.5 bar (22 PSI) pressure cap! Compare that with typical coolant boiling points in my graph on post # 5 (138C with 50/50 mixture). Expansion tank overflow is caused by overfill, or sometimes a dirty leaking pressure cap.

http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1347861483

Last edited by invader; 05-17-2013 at 12:17 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Like I mentioned before, Motul Motocool Expert and Motul Motocool Factory Line (as I have) coolants do not have a higher boiling point.

Boiling point is rated at 133C/271F for Expert, and 136C / 277F for Factory Line, but only with a +1.5 bar (22 PSI) pressure cap! Compare that with typical coolant boiling points in my graph on post # 5 (138C with 50/50 mixture). Expansion tank overflow is caused by overfill, or sometimes a dirty leaking pressure cap.

http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1347861483
Maybe my english is not as good as I would like it to be ...

What I'm saying is that after reading the boiling point value of the oem coolant (which I can't find reference/remember) at a given barometric pressure in a post on this forum, I've put some Motul motocool 25 in my cooling system and since I've had no drip from that little tube that's beside the kickstand

Of course it's not a leak or a malfunction of the system ...
I guess this was your point !
Right ?

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 05-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode