gas cap lock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
gas cap lock

Every time I go to put gas in my V the gas cap lock seems seized. Trying to turn it with the key just bends the keys. The only thing that seems to work is fooling around with the key for 5 min or so until you hit that sweat spot and the key can turn the lock without resistance. When I do get it unlocked it seems to function OK and I cannot tell what caused the issue. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Used to wash my bike once a week and after drying would shoot a little WD-40 into the gas cap lock and never had an issue. Then i got a keyless gas cap.

IMG_0016 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Try pushing down on the cap while turning the key. Should release pressure on the locking tangs letting them release easily. I do this closing it as well, press down and turn the key to lock it.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM

i put a couple of drops motor oil in the key slot and let it run down, turns very easy now
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM

The same thing happened to me. In fact mine completely seized up on me. I had to take the cap off the bike.

Maybe you can take it off the bike. Spray wd-40 in there and shake all the excess out. That's what I did and mine works great now.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Try pushing down on the cap while turning the key. Should release pressure on the locking tangs letting them release easily. I do this closing it as well, press down and turn the key to lock it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youkiddin View Post
i put a couple of drops motor oil in the key slot and let it run down, turns very easy now
Both the above are highly recommended.

You will not have any problem and better to get a steel key to replace the original aluminium one.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Used to wash my bike once a week and after drying would shoot a little WD-40 into the gas cap lock and never had an issue. Then i got a keyless gas cap.

IMG_0016 by weljo2001, on Flickr
weljo2001, where did you get the gas cap? Vortex I know makes one, but I have seen "cheap"er ones on flea bay. Not sure if they're worth it or not.

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 AM

Ooh, $35 bucks and it ships to from CA.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikewithmike View Post
weljo2001, where did you get the gas cap? Vortex I know makes one, but I have seen "cheap"er ones on flea bay. Not sure if they're worth it or not.

It was from e-bay. Sold from a hong kong vendor can't remember who. Have had it on the bike for well over a year and it still looks liked it did the day i bought it. The price with shipping was $32.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM

I had the same thing with mine. I found the problem is with the vent hose on the left side of the bike. Take the side fairing off and lift the tank a little and you will see 2 hoses on the left side. One will have a crimp in it. Straighten it out and move the wireing harness up alittle so the hoses move free in there and that will fix your problem.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM

use sewing machine oil for lubrication of all locks, as WD40 is not permanent.

And always carry the duplicate key with you when you ride!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM

OK only one of the following links, specify the cap will fit the Versys.
Someone enlighten me. Which Kawi caps are interchangeable?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
May not be permanent but WD40 is quite safe for locks. I have a locksmith friend who swears by WD40 for a lock that's getting sticky. Have been using it in vehicle locks and house locks when the lock needs some loosening up and have never had any bad affects.

Have not thought of sewing machine oil. I imagine it is quite light and would not gunk up!

Quote:
+1. Read a story on another forum about a guy 5 hours from home who dropped his only key in a storm drain 5 hours from home. He spent the night at a local hotel while his wife overnighted a spare! Vowed that was not going to happen to me.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeore39648 View Post
OK only one of the following links, specify the cap will fit the Versys.
Someone enlighten me. Which Kawi caps are interchangeable?
All the Kawasaki caps shown with 3 mount bolts fit, but not the ones shown for a 500... Show me the one you're interested in.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
I had the same thing with mine. I found the problem is with the vent hose on the left side of the bike. Take the side fairing off and lift the tank a little and you will see 2 hoses on the left side. One will have a crimp in it. Straighten it out and move the wireing harness up alittle so the hoses move free in there and that will fix your problem.
That's just a rain water/gasoline spill drain tube. Air flows freely around the cap and down into the mentioned drain hose. It has no effect on cap vacuum buildup. If the drain hose does clog, rain water accumulation may contaminate fuel in the tank.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=9543
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
All the Kawasaki caps shown with 3 mount bolts fit, but not the ones shown for a 500... Show me the one you're interested in.
Not sure , but if all that have the 3 holes work. That's all I need for now.
I found that pressing down on the cap before turning the key works fine. This is good info for later if needed.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It was from e-bay. Sold from a hong kong vendor can't remember who. Have had it on the bike for well over a year and it still looks liked it did the day i bought it. The price with shipping was $32.00
Thank you sir! I will likely grab the one from shipping from CA. Probably still made from somewhere across the water, but won't hurt to support a retailer this side of the pond.

Quote:
A better product IMHO than WD-40, at least for locks, is Lock-Ease. Last's longer and works better. If you have an Ace-Hardware nearby they should stock it, if not http://www.amazon.com/AGS-LE5-Lock-Ease/dp/B000CIJUGA.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 PM

Garage
Quote:

Ditto: Started carring a spare key because of an incident i had while at the bank a couple of weeks ago. Was going to put the key in the ignition and it dropped it landed along the frame in the middle of some cables. With the lack of a flashlight couldn't see it so started rocking the bike back and forth and side to side with no success. Finally after about 15 minutes was able to get my fingers on it and knock it loose. So i keep a spare in my back pocket from now on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
The best thing for locks is a dry lubricant. oils will attract dirt and gum up the works. WD40 fits this bill but there are other alternatives that work better....

If you wash the bike WD40 the lock then after it drys use a dry lubricant. Should be GTG.

I agree carry a spare key....they tend to break even with just a little pressure. BTW Hemostats work really well for getting busted keys out of locks....I added one to my tool kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode