There is a chirp in my muffler? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is a chirp in my muffler?

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and forgive me if it's been discussed before but my searching skills have let me down.

Let me start by saying I've been back to the stock muffler for a while now and have noticed over a year or so that my factory muffler has developed a chirp, wistle or kazoo like symptom. It goes away under hard throttle but in normal operation it's quite noticible. Has anyone else endured this sound that is right out of the Jetson's?

There are no leaks at the muffler gasket or holes that I've noticed.

Thanks.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
How long was it stored away and any thing lose inside the muffler?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Does it sound like a VW Bug?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Mine has done this intermittently for a long time (years). I changed the gasket between the header and muffler, no difference. My thinking now is that it is coming from the cat. I don't pay any attention to it anymore. There is a thread (at least one) regarding this over at the UK site. Several people have experienced this, some of whom are quite mechanically inclined, and AFAIK no one has come up with an answer.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What's your mileage, cuff? A few UK Versys forum members had the same problem from their muffler's internals rotting and breaking down, usually between 8000 to 15000 miles. Many did get a warranty replacement muffler. Everything seems to oxidize faster in damp and close to salty ocean UK (and BC I suppose).

"Back box exhaust (end can) has been replaced under warranty now and the whistle has gone. If any of you guys get the sound on your bike you will know its the exhaust and get it replaced before your warranty expires."
"It sounds like an old VW beetle going along."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfur View Post
Hi. My 07 Versys has recently developed a very annoying high pitch chirping noise from exhaust. Any ideas other than the baffles on way out.
My original new and unused muffler is available, by the way...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It does sound like an old beatle and was hoping it wasn't roting inside but suspect it's the case.

The muffler was stored in my garage for the better part of a year but was cleaned and given a good coat of WD40 and kept dry.

I've got 51,500 klms on her invader and one month outside of waranty. And yup, she's wet up here and the bike rides to work rain or shine. I've gone through 3 chains already even with constant care and attention.

Looks like I'll be looking at some other options for my exhaust, hmmm, maybe this will get me motivated to see my muffler guy and have my twin glass pack set up built after all.

Sorry Invader but I won't be getting another stock muffler but thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

IBA# 38547

Last edited by cuff; 07-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Where the opening covered while stored? I wonder if something made a home in it...Could it be not the muffler but a mounting bracket that is squeaking??
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I looked at all the external parts and it's def inside that's causing the noise. Never thought about anything getting inside, maybe one of the many wolf spiders I have made a home?

I guess with this kind of mileage things are going to break no matter how well you take care of them just kind of hoping it was an easy fix. I do have some time to tinker now that I've finished another project of mine.

Shamless sell gratifying picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4089333333333333333.JPG (114.3 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4101333333333333333333.JPG (106.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN40533333333333333.JPG (168.1 KB, 337 views)

IBA# 38547
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
LOT of KLR650s have developed the "Tweet". It's caused by the internals rusting enough that the end piece breaks loose (inside) causing the tweet.
Try this site, and search Tweet:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/
Good luck.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
LOT of KLR650s have developed the "Tweet". It's caused by the internals rusting enough that the end piece breaks loose (inside) causing the tweet.
Try this site, and search Tweet:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/
Good luck.
Thank you sir but I think I'm just going to make a new one. Fixing the factory can seems like more work than making a whole new one. Who knows, I might get lucky and give everyone a low cost alternative, how's $45 sound for a twin slip on?

IBA# 38547
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and forgive me if it's been discussed before but my searching skills have let me down.

Let me start by saying I've been back to the stock muffler for a while now and have noticed over a year or so that my factory muffler has developed a chirp, wistle or kazoo like symptom. It goes away under hard throttle but in normal operation it's quite noticible. Has anyone else endured this sound that is right out of the Jetson's?

There are no leaks at the muffler gasket or holes that I've noticed.

Thanks.

With regards to your chirp, check that the metal decorative LHS vertical cover plate is not vibrating against the main body of the silencer, as it is only fixed at the front and rear.

Its the ribbed cover in the above picture behind the black pipe.

Mine was but I fixed it by jamming a couple of S/S washers in between it and the silencer body, in the middle of the silencer (top and Bottom). - hope you get what I mean.

It cured my chirp / metallic zing on the ER6 box (that I was gutting the cat on) when I first started it up .
Maybe that is why it was sold cheap to me

Thought I had not tightened something up at first when I revved the engine on no load. It sounded rattly / zingey compared to my original Versys exhaust.

I initially found it, by putting a flat blade screwdriver that I was prodding things to feel / find the chirp / zing, and put up between the plate and the silencer body and it stopped it.

Anyway this solved my problem, but just saying this is another thing it could be / check / discount.

Richard

at
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
With regards to your chirp, check that the metal decorative LHS vertical cover plate is not vibrating against the main body of the silencer, as it is only fixed at the front and rear.

Its the ribbed cover in the above picture behind the black pipe.

Mine was but I fixed it by jamming a couple of S/S washers in between it and the silencer body, in the middle of the silencer (top and Bottom). - hope you get what I mean.

It cured my chirp / metallic zing on the ER6 box (that I was gutting the cat on) when I first started it up .
Maybe that is why it was sold cheap to me

Thought I had not tightened something up at first when I revved the engine on no load. It sounded rattly / zingey compared to my original Versys exhaust.

I initially found it, by putting a flat blade screwdriver that I was prodding things to feel / find the chirp / zing, and put up between the plate and the silencer body and it stopped it.

Anyway this solved my problem, but just saying this is another thing it could be / check / discount.

Richard
Thanks Richard,

I know the plate you're talking about. I had a couple of small stones in there once and got the rattle/snare drum effect. Got em out as soon as I could and the rattle never came back. The sound I have now is definitely coming from inside the muffler, almost like a kazoo that only resonates at a certain rpm. If my glasspack idea pans out I might open up the stock can and see whats what in there.

Now that the warrenty is up it's time to play. Who know's, maybe a turn her into a race bike next year. Of course I'll have to convince the wife to let me get another commuter but hell, 4 bikes or 5 she might not even notice.

(btw one of those bikes is hers and ones out on loan. hmmmm, if I got another yellow one she might just think the loaner is back.)

IBA# 38547
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Yesterday I got tired of the metallic noise that seems several started us in the exhaust, because I had 6 months waiting for take off only but nothing is as if a washer was ding ding in the exhaust between 2000 and 3000 rpm , I downloaded it and turned on the bike without the exhaust to see if the sound coming from the engine and nothing , I took the exhaust and shook it , it blew air , I got a probe to see who may have lost or broken but found nothing , therefore the only thing I could think of was that something internally had moved and the gas outlet generate the noise, then I introduced a borescope to find it had weird and I noticed that the output curve seems to be a film with the curve shape and this creates a cavity where the air could possibly generate noise, installed the exhaust again , I turned on the bike and sped up , I started putting a thin plate as 15 cm long have happened and yes gentlemen that little sound was lost , the trim and started bending until it reaches the soldered to the exhaust outlet and fixed the noise.

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck

Last edited by Lion; 03-16-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM

I do not have that baffle plate in my muffler. Clear pipe. I have 07 MK1.
It looks non genuine and doesn't belong there. I would remove it.

Last edited by kiwitourer; 03-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
I do not have that baffle plate in my muffler. Clear pipe. I have 07 MK1.
It looks non genuine and doesn't belong there. I would remove it.
Kiwitourer, this plate the soldered there to remove the noise that began six months ago, my V is 2008.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
How does it work? Why is the whistle noise gone? How did you decide to use a plate of that size and shape in that specific position?

Last edited by invader; 03-16-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
How does it work? Why is the whistle noise gone? How did you decide to use a plate of that size and shape in that specific position?
invader, I did it by the method of trial and error all day yesterday, I started by introducing a 15 inch plate length, the cut and folded in various ways that occurred to me and was trying until I came to this shape and position.
It appears that the plate generates some different gas flow and no crashes on the site where the noise is generated in the output curve.

It would be nice if someone who has the same sound try without weld and see if it works.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What's your mileage, cuff? A few UK Versys forum members had the same problem from their muffler's internals rotting and breaking down, usually between 8000 to 15000 miles. Many did get a warranty replacement muffler. Everything seems to oxidize faster in damp and close to salty ocean UK (and BC I suppose).

"Back box exhaust (end can) has been replaced under warranty now and the whistle has gone. If any of you guys get the sound on your bike you will know its the exhaust and get it replaced before your warranty expires."
"It sounds like an old VW beetle going along."

My original new and unused muffler is available, by the way...
Where is the UK forum?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeore39648 View Post
Where is the UK forum?
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?action=forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in