Tire cupping after 1500 miles?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire cupping after 1500 miles??

It seems that after 1500 miles my factory dunlop rear is cupping. I am running the tire at 36psi and ride one up all the time. I commute back and forth to work and the ride is a mix of strait and curves but strait line is 70%. I am not very aggressive while riding but do let it rip every once and a while. I am getting more wear in the center tread area than on the sides but at the transition area along the edges of the sipes the wear is uneven. I do not feel anything and handling seems good. The front tire is fine at this point ( after the dealer turned the tire and rim around due to it being installed backwards) Anyway, sugestions would be great. Other than getting a new tire.(need a few more miles out of this one) Tire pressure? Other? Thanks group!! BTW I took some pics but they do not show anything worth posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

How do you brake? Do you use the front brake more than the rear? I have never experienced the rear copping. Could be a bad tire or out of balance. If your bike is under warrenty take it back to the dealer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's Dunlop,same problem on back tire after 600Km. replaced.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 AM

My factory rear tire was shot at 1547 miles. More tire wear in the center of the tire is normal, every motorcycle does that. I would say the alignment of the tire in the rear is off, probably have one side out farther than the other. Take a dial caliper and measure from the front side of the pocket in the swingarm to the front of the axle block and make sure it's the same on both sides (to a reasonable tolerance).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM

This may sound like crap, but having 9600 miles on my stock Dunlops (changing front and back out this afternoon) it seems like a start. The dealership where I bougt my V had my tires inflated a bit low to begin with. After I inflated to specs on the swingarm and took it in for 600 mile service, the mechanic on duty told me I should run a few pounds low due to the near absence of twisty roads in Ks so the tires wouldn't cup. I still ended up with the flat band on the center line of my rear, but no cupping. My two cents- if the majority of your riding is straightline, deflate a few pounds and see if it helps. I ran 34lbs in the rear through the life of my stocks.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Alignment is dead on. I brake mostly with the front but do use rear about 30%. I might
Drop a few pounds in the rear to see if that helps. I know a lot of you guys have mixed
Feelings on the Dunlop and I personally have never had them on my bikes. Goin for a 300 mile ride
Saturday so we will see what happens.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
DR_

Remember tire pressure gauges are usually about as accurate as our speedometer. Make sure your gauge is accurate by comparing it to a known good calibrated gauge.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Take a good look at your tires wear pattern and then check out this site:
http://www.feelthetrack.com/

Dave Moss has several DVDs out that cover suspension set up and how to diagnose an improper setup based on your tire wear. There is a photo near the bottom of the home page that opens a link describing 4 different types of wear.

Granted, many of these cases are due to hard riding on a track, but the same types of wear can happen on a street tire given improper inflation and suspension setup.

Hope this helps!

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
available here
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM

I got 7,500 out of the OEM's no problems. Always run @ MOM specified PSI. Running on roadsmarts 4K miles and no issues.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleite311 View Post
Take a good look at your tires wear pattern and then check out this site:
http://www.feelthetrack.com/

Dave Moss has several DVDs out that cover suspension set up and how to diagnose an improper setup based on your tire wear. There is a photo near the bottom of the home page that opens a link describing 4 different types of wear.

Granted, many of these cases are due to hard riding on a track, but the same types of wear can happen on a street tire given improper inflation and suspension setup.

Hope this helps!
Interesting site. Wish I had seen that earlier.

I had the same problem, but with my front tires. They would start cupping on the sides within 1-2K miles and wear out (the sides would be shot and the middle would still look good) faster than the rears! I had never experienced that before on any bike I have ever had--usually I can often go two rears for every 1 front. Anyway, I was confused for a while (posted a thread here looking for answers) and then finally decided to fiddle with the suspension. I softened up both the rebound and dampening on the forks and the problem went away (and the bike's handling improved dramatically--I always had the sensation that the forks were too stiff and the bike was "pushing" the front end because it was!) Maybe try and "loosen up" your rear suspension and see if that helps.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Interesting site. Wish I had seen that earlier.

I had the same problem, but with my front tires. They would start cupping on the sides within 1-2K miles and wear out (the sides would be shot and the middle would still look good) faster than the rears! I had never experienced that before on any bike I have ever had--usually I can often go two rears for every 1 front. Anyway, I was confused for a while (posted a thread here looking for answers) and then finally decided to fiddle with the suspension. I softened up both the rebound and dampening on the forks and the problem went away (and the bike's handling improved dramatically--I always had the sensation that the forks were too stiff and the bike was "pushing" the front end because it was!) Maybe try and "loosen up" your rear suspension and see if that helps.
Yeah, it's almost hard to retain all of the information that Dave puts out in his videos, but it's helpful to review it when your tire starts wearing funny.

I usually wear out the sides of my tires before the middle just due to the type of riding I usually do (canyons and track). I actually have one of my old supermoto rear tires on the wall in my garage as a memento since the edges are fried and the middle has a fair amount of tread remaining

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
available here
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM

Tyres

I'm not sure what cupping is, but the stock Dunlops on my bike were crap so they were binned within 500 miles of the bike being run in.

I run 34psi rear and 32 front as I only weigh 62 kilo's. Tyres seem to last ages, I had some BT020's which I changed before I went abroad, they were secondhand and I did 3000miles and a track day on them, I'd say they were about 2 thirds worn.
I had some secondhand Dunlop D207RR's (the front is still in use) did a trackday and about 6000 miles before I chucked the rear. Still had some usable tread but the near highside out of Edwina's at Mallory Park spooked me so it had to go. (the bars were crossed up MX style).

The rear is currently a Michelin Pilot Road 2 dual compound done about 2000miles and 2 sessions at Mallory trackday. Grip isn't the best but ok for a low power bike, better on track than the 020's but don't seem as good as those on the road.
Little wear in the middle of the tread but the sides are showing signs of wear.
I'll probably go for a Dunlop Qualifier next as they are cheap at the moment. That said I doubt I'll need a tyre before next summer so who knows.

Last edited by No1Spank; 07-15-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode