Oil Replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil Replacement

Not wanting to start another oil thread here. However, for the last few oil changes, I have found it increasingly hard to find Mobile 1 Full Syn 15w-50w anywhere in my area. I used to find it at Walmart at a competitive price.
Just wondering if I could replace it with Mobile 1 Full Syn 10w-30w as a replacement?
I have been using 15w-50w in all my bikes for the last 10 years with close to 200k miles in that time. Never had a clutch problem and the bikes have run great.
Thanks

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I use Mobile 1 full syn 10W-40 (for motorcycles) from Walmart and have had no problems. 10W-30 might be a bit thin

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case

Last edited by eldiablo; 07-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Shell Rotella 15W-40. Easy to find. A very good heavy duty oil also rated for motorcycles.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
DR_

Those oils are not the best for motorcycles as they contain friction modifiers. The 10w30 is "Energy Saving" which means it doesn't have the ZDDP that our bucket over shim motors like. Mobil 1 has a motorcycle blend that is much better suited for our bikes in 10w40.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._Oil_FAQs.aspx

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you fellow members for your quick responses. Based on this information, I will not be buying 10w-30w.

IBA #23562

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-V-Twin-Motorcycle-20W50-Motor/dp/B000SKV4T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310587980&sr=8-1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM

According to motorcycle news mobil 1 changed their formula in 2011 and it should not be used in bikes. I tried it and had clutch and shifting problems
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks WelJo.

Barefoot
Was that Mobile 1 Full Syn 15w-50w? It was never recommended for motorcycles, but it has worked well for me without fail.

IBA #23562

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM

Amazon is more than I pay at O'Reilly Auto parts for the same oil.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM

He right amazon is pricey when you count the shipping

Here's the 10W-40 link

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-MX4T-10W-40-Motorcycle-Oil/dp/B000UEG500/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1310603781&sr=1-5
but it can be had at wallyword for $12
and at canadian tire for $16
without the added cost of shipping charges.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Garage
The one i sent him to on amazon was free shipping.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

The most popular oil weights for cars are the ones with friction modifiers - 5-30, 10-30, 10-40. Look at the label - if its says 'energy saving' you don't want it for your wet clutch.

15-50 does not have friction modifiers. It will work fine and is a good viscosity for summer temps but not for winter.

Shell Rotella is a good oil, as is Delo 400. If you're going to buy cheap oil at walfart get one of those. These are dyno oils. Shorten your OCI to 3500-4000.

For about $7 a quart you can get Amsoil 4-stroke oil. It's engineered specifically for our type of motor.

Mobil also makes a 4-stroke motorcycle specific oil as well. Don't think they have it at walfart. Maybe in the 'bike section'.

BTW, don't buy those cheap$hit oil filters there either. Either get a Hiflofiltro or a oem one. Cheaper by the handful on fleabay.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The most popular oil weights for cars are the ones with friction modifiers - 5-30, 10-30, 10-40. Look at the label - if its says 'energy saving' you don't want it for your wet clutch.....
I ran Mobil1 car 10w-30 WITH friction modifiers in my 1200 Bandit (104 HP!) for years with absolutely no issues after corresponding with a drag racer on the Maximum Suzuki Forum who runs M1 car 5w-30, and turns in the 9s and high 8s. ONLY reason I didn't go 5w-30 was because I already had lots of M1 10w-30 in the shop.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I ran Mobil1 car 10w-30 WITH friction modifiers in my 1200 Bandit (104 HP!) for years with absolutely no issues after corresponding with a drag racer on the Maximum Suzuki Forum who runs M1 car 5w-30, and turns in the 9s and high 8s. ONLY reason I didn't go 5w-30 was because I already had lots of M1 10w-30 in the shop.
Some stock clutch friction materials with some stock springs' tension may not be too affected by friction modifiers... The drag racer likely has a racing 2-stage lock up clutch or extra heavy springs to harness all that power.

By the way, automotive oils of W-40 or higher viscosity are not energy conserving rated, but may still contain friction midifiers.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM

My buddy was having issues with heat and vibration in his Suzuki C50. He was told to switch to Amsoil 10/40 and this would reduce heat and smooth out the motor. He ordered a case, tried it and was very happy with the results. Less heat, less vibration and he told me it is shifting better than ever. I will try it at my next change as he has given me 3 quarts for the V!
Any of you guys run Amsoil?

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I use Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports 0W-40 (AFF). I get a great discount an any Amsoil product from http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/aff.htm with the promo code. By the case, I end up paying about 40% less than from Canadian Tire, and it's at my door in a couple days.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Having a smoother engine and transmission feel with Amsoil 10W-40. Thanks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Thanks WelJo.

Barefoot
Was that Mobile 1 Full Syn 15w-50w? It was never recommended for motorcycles, but it has worked well for me without fail.
10w40 full syn just put in the motorcycle syn and problems went away.
Moral of story. Don't cheap out.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Garage
Been using Royal Purple since the trip to Cali mid-may. Will continue to use it from now on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2D6PK/sr=8-3/qid=1310862169/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1310862169&sr=8-3&seller=

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM

See this if it will help.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode