Uh-Oh...shifting issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Dav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Uh-Oh...shifting issue

Over the past couple of days my bike has been shifting weirdly...when changing 3rd>2nd and 2nd>1st it will change gears but the shift lever is very slow to return.
It won't go from neutral to second. Double downshifts (eg 4th>2nd) aren't happening...well not in any useful timeframe due to the slow lever return.
I'm going to check the clutch cable and clean/grease the shift linkage but I'm guessing it's some spring/shift doodad in the gearbox.
Bike has 18500 km on it, 5100 oil, temp is cold but not snowing cold (currently 10 deg celcius).
Dissapointing as cosmetically my farkles are lining up and now this happens
Any idea what this might be and whether I can fix it before heading to the local superexpensive dealer? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Motul 5100 10W-40? How's your clutch cable slack and lubrication? Any fall on the left side, bending your gear shift mechanism?

Last edited by invader; 07-09-2011 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 PM

I've had the neutral switch cause similar symptoms on my other bike. Missed a washer during reassembly and the switch stuck down too far and cause the shifter not to shift past neutral. Doesn't sound like what's happening there but something to check.

I'd unscrew the shift linkage rod and rotate everything and feel how it moves. That'll tell you whether the problem is the bushing on the footpeg (or possibly the knuckles on the shift rod) or something farther in. If you're lucky the footpeg bushing just needs some grease or one of the knuckles on the linkage rod has worn out. I would feel comfortable opening up the wet case and examining the shift pawl but I don't know how comfortable you are with that kind of work.

Let us know how it goes and good luck,

Matt

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Dav

Oil grade correct (and a month old, correct level), clutch action good (but will double check adjustment), bike never dropped. A UK forum search offers hope for greasing the shift linkage, off to the garage I head
Edit: Thanks also Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Recheck the clutch slack action. Probably clutch not engaging properly.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Dav

Resolved: greased up the linkage, shifting sweeter than ever. I will stop panicking
As an aside...did the V ever change from neutral to 2nd? Just something I noticed (mine doesn't) during the panic.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Mine hasn't.

Is that a Jackalope?

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 AM

It's normal. You can only shift from neutral to 2nd if rear wheel is turning fast enough.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Dav

Thanks again...I eventaully remembered that about neutral to 2nd. Quite amazing how much difference just some lube on those ball joints and lever has made...and how profound lack of said lube was!
Yes, that's the majestic Jackalope bounding through prarie grasslands...good eating if a little chewy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 AM

It's called "positive neutral finder"... Yeah I do keep my shift linkages lubed up, along with clutch lever+cable, brake levers, throttle tube+cables, footpegs, gas cap, swingarm and steering head bearings, etc...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
Thanks again...I eventaully remembered that about neutral to 2nd. Quite amazing how much difference just some lube on those ball joints and lever has made...and how profound lack of said lube was!
Yes, that's the majestic Jackalope bounding through prarie grasslands...good eating if a little chewy
Years ago, an "old" friend gave me the recipe for cooking said jackelope:
1. skin, gut and wash out the critter;
2. take a large cast iron dutch oven, drop in the critter, then add water to cover;
3. add potatoes, onions, carrots, salt and pepper, then put over low-to-medium heat for 3 to 4 hours; and
4. remove the jackelope carcass and throw it away, then eat the soup/ stew!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
Is that a Jackalope?
Are we sure it is not a "drop-bear-alope"?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
Resolved: greased up the linkage, shifting sweeter than ever. I will stop panicking
As an aside...did the V ever change from neutral to 2nd? Just something I noticed (mine doesn't) during the panic.
Hope you get a good sleep and go for a spin

and get the farkles up .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode