Dead headlight - please help if you can - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dead headlight - please help if you can

My '08 has twice fully discharged the battery now, once when I accidentally left it on, and today is the second time - I agree that once fully drained a battery is done, it's only a (short) matter of time, as I believe this accounts for today's incident, since I keep my battery attached to a tender at all times when not in use. I replaced said battery with a new one today.

Here's the major issue: BOTH times the battery has gone dead, the bike's headlight has been MIA upon revival of the bike. I recall reading online somewhere that someone else experienced this same phenomenon, and the issue was traced to the headlight relay. My local shop came to the same conclusion about mine (I didn't mention what I'd read about the relay to them - I wanted an unprejudiced diagnosis).

Does this mean the Versys' headlight relay is toast any time the battery is fully drained?!? How is this possible? Is there a recall for this by chance? Seems like a major flaw to me if this is indeed the case.

Please help with any info as I am about to order another $85 relay! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What is said about battery and relay is a bit odd. There are many a time I have had flat batteries but nothing on toasted relay.

Sound a bit odd to me_IMHO.

let see what INVADER has to coin in.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps the difference is the bike is running when the battery dies? Not the same as going out in the morning to a dead battery that won't start the bike?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps to help clarify - both times this happened while riding - I looked down to see that the gauges had gone dead, and shortly after the bike died while riding.

The first time I pulled the battery, took it home, charged it overnight, put it back in, started the bike but no headlight. This after having left the bike on accidentally and drained the battery.

Took the bike to the shop, diagnosed and replaced the headlight relay. This was about three weeks ago.

Yesterday after riding about 100 miles, look down to see blank gauges. #%?! Bike dies.

Ride my wife's Ninja a half mile to Autozone, where they appen to have a battery in stock to fit the Versys. Fires up. But no headlight, exactly as time number one.

Now you know everything I know.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.drpiston.com/chargingsystems.html

Some basic article on charging system and their components. Hope its of some help.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Not really but thanks just the same.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like a short to ground in your headlight/relay circuit... Is there more voltage across the battery posts when engine is running and revved up a tad, compared to just before it's started?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I will try and answer that for you soon. Thanks.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I am next to worthless with anything electrical (not that I'm that great with the rest) but I imagine a voltmeter from Autozone or Sears is what I need? Then I touch it to each battery terminal?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 AM

You would need the Service manual, available in this forum for download and use a meter for diagnosis.

Here's what I think:

1. Bike dies while riding - either alternator is not charging the battery or the regulator is not doing its job which causes the battery to go flat.

2. Head Lamp relay burns out - could be a short circuit with the head lamp circuit or a faulty regulator that may have surged up and destroy the relay. Since this relay to the headlamp is always on, once the bike is started, it is being exposed to surges continuously. There are other relay switches but they are momentarily type and is not always in the "closed" switch position.

I would check the electrical diagram and trace all the connections to the headlamp and the relay. Check for shorts using the Ohm meter (continuity test). You may have to shake the cables if it is a intermittent short. Ground the GND cable of the meter and probe the 'live' wires.

I would also check if the alternator is ok and also the regulator. The service manual should be handy to help you diagnose the problem.

Keep us in the loop and hope you find the root cause.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM

I am having charging issues with my V. If I run for a while then shut the engine off, turn it back on, the headlights are coming on. Ride a little longer and I get a dead bike. Replace the battery, and it's doing the same thing. I am going for the rectifier next, testing before I replace. A quick search on the forum, and the first thing that came up is a great PDF file specific to our bike that mentions how to check things, what likely is the issue, including the Rectifier, Relays, and Sator: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0&d=1293498435

I'll try and post what I find, which might be a couple days.

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM

I think invader has the right take. Either a short in the relay circuit, or they sold you a defective relay, and now it needs to be replaced. It is definitely not a bug/feature of the Versys that when the battery dies, the relay fries.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Well the bike is in the shop. Being self employed and dealing with some family issues I just am not going to have time to deal with it myself. Plus the shop has promised to make it right. We'll see...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

and keep us posted please.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Either the:
1.Stator not charging
2. Rectifier faulty ( charging voltage <12.6 or > 15 DC volts)
3. Rectifier connectors damaged or corroded (reason for the rear hugger)
4. Ampereage drain or earthing ( multimeter on DC amps, pull fuses one by one to isolate leak). Amp drain should be very small something like 1 to 2 miliamps.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Wohooo! My stator is fried. At least I know what the dang problem is know. Did all sorts of tests per the manual, and the AC Voltage coming out at 4000 Rpm was 24/25 on the good pairing I tested, the others were less. It's supposed to be at 42 if I remember. Rectifier was giving me funny number to, as testing the resistance in one direction should be about ten times higher than the other. I was getting 2 Million Ohms is one direction and O.L in the other. Local shop mechanic says he always replaces the stator and rectifier together, so I guess my bank account will be missing a few more pennies.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 AM

Here's my unfortunate hold on summer riding.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 AM

Did you ever crash on the left side? Engine vibrations do tend to wear out the windings through the varnish, shorting it out... Are you getting a new stator from Kawasaki, Rick's, or other?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Did you ever crash on the left side? Engine vibrations do tend to wear out the windings through the varnish, shorting it out... Are you getting a new stator from Kawasaki, Rick's, or other?
No crash. I laid it done once, or more broke the fall as my foot slipped on gravel while dismounting, but that was the right side and the only damage was my brake lever. I did about 700 mile trip last weekend, it sat for a couple days, did an oil change and then headed off to Oregon for the weekend. Just five minutes from leaving home and gasing up the lights went out, leading me to believe something either happend the end of the last trip or while it was sitting?

I am going to make a few calls when daylight hours come around, mostly to find quotes. I need to know a turnaround on Rick's, as well as Tim Parrot, and Ricky Stator.com. If it's too long (we're moving and I lose my garage in two weeks), then Partshark.com will be getting some of my money.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 AM

Rick's stator (21-227) for $118.91 from: (scroll down to 3/4 of the page)
http://www.mawonline.com/newsite/ric...ls___misc_.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode