Loud thud shifting into first and second - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Loud thud shifting into first and second

When I am sitting still and shift from neutral to first there is a loud, deep and hollow sounding thud. Same thing from first to second, but sometimes even more pronounced. Doesn't make the same noise going through the rest of the gears. Just wanted to see if this is normal on the 2011 Versys? I just had my first service, and the shop didn't mention anything, but I thought I would double check.

This is my first bike and the only other motorcycle I have ridden is a 2010 Ninja 250, which was much quieter and smoother shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM

same thing happens on my 08, i think its normal
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

It is normal. It's a Versys thang. And you're right, the Ninja 250 gearbox is way smoother.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yep First gear sometimes has a hell of a clunk. Never paid too much attention to second though.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It gets better as it breaks in... Is your chain slack excessive?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Gear(s) not chamfered?

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM

Excess clutch cable slack can also be a factor.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 PM

same here with the N to 1st clunk. Clunk gets more silent once the engine is warmed out, and oil temperature is at operating temps. Up shifting is smooth and silent. Engine oil type also plays a role in gear smoothness in the shifts. xW50 weighted oils probably has better gear shifts characteristic but the thick oil will make the engine less happy in the revs. Try a different type of oil the next time.

My current oil is about 1k km of use and is beginning to show signs of viscosity loss. Gears are a little more difficult to downshift when going slow, and sometimes i would hit a Neutral when upshifting.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 AM

Every bike I've ever owned (6 of them) has done that.

IBA # 49372
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM

The gearbox on my wife's '03 Ninja 250 is way smoother than the one in our Versys. *sigh*

"If One wishes to Win It, One must first Pin It."
69 Honda CB175 | 02 Honda XR80R | 06 Suzuki GSX-R600 | 08 Kawasaki Versys
Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM

It's clutch plates sticking a bit because of the oil. Pull clutch in and blip throttle, then engage first. The blip breaks the plates loose.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
It's clutch plates sticking a bit because of the oil. Pull clutch in and blip throttle, then engage first. The blip breaks the plates loose.
I'm headed to work shortly. I'll try that.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Move the bike forward with my right foot as it's being shifted into first. This greatly reduces any potential clunk.
Tried this today leaving work, hey really smooth! Amazing what a difference a little nudge will do.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM

I have an 09 Versys and it's the same, first gear sound Klunk, I have seen other bikes doing the same on 1st. gear, no matter the Make or size. I don't worry, seems normal.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I will be trying the slight roll forward and the "blip" after work.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Keeping in mind that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing .....

I once read an article in one of my motorcycle magazines why there is a "clunk" when shifting from neutral to first. Basically, ALL the gears on a bike are in constant motion. Each gear has "engagement dogs" - pieces of metal that stick out from each side of the gears that "catch" holes in each subsequent gear. First gear from neutral, second gear from first, and so on. The reason the "clunk" is more noticeable from neutral to first, is that in neutral, none of the gears are engaged, and the initial bite to first gear is more violent and shocking than when the bike is already in motion, shifting from first to second, etc....

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 AM

I've just came back from a ride with a couple of friends, one with a KTM SMT and I can say, I wouldn't complain about the Versys clunk after you've heard the SMT.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM

How many miles on the 2011 yet? It does get much better as it breaks in more. Synthetic oil (JASO MA) helps as well... Leaving it in 1st gear at red lights is actually recommended, also to be ready to move ahead immediately if required. Make sure your clutch cable slack is minimal, and use the furthest confortable lever to handlebar setting on the numbered wheel. A fully disengaged clutch reduces strain on shift forks+shaft, and gear dogs.
You're actually coasting while clutching in to shift up, no matter how hard you were accelerating or how quickly you shift. No applied torque, no acceleration... Letting the rpm drop just enough to have it matched to selected gear when you engage the clutch (release clutch lever) while reopening throttle, results in a smoother shift and reduced clutch strain and wear.

Last edited by invader; 06-24-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in