Where to order oil and filter? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where to order oil and filter?

For those that do their own oil changes, where do you get your oil and filter? What filter do you recommend? What oil? I'd like to support my local shop if possible, but I want to make sure they're selling me quality stuff first.

My Versys commutes about 30 miles per day on a 65mph highway, if that makes a difference in your recommendation. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
For me it was buy one filter and never have to buy another one. So this is my solution it works great. see link below

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Thumbs up One Word-Walmart

Wal-Mart works for me. Inexpensive filters and oil.
Check it out.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM

For regular non-synthetic motorcycle oil, Valvoline motorcycle stuff available at Autozone is fine. Actually, for the same weight oil, the Versys shifts much better with it vs. Kawasaki's basic oil which is much more expensive.

For synthetic, Autozone carries Mobil-1 motorcycle oil, real hard to beat that. Only other synthetic I'd use is Redline or Amsoil.

Filters, I still have some Kawasaki filters left over. When they run out, not sure what I'll try next.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 AM

I go to WalMart and pick up Shell Rotella 15w-40. It's an excellent heavy duty oil that is also rated for motorcycles. Filter is WalMart ST7317 or ST6607.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM

I just did my first change on my V at 500 miles. I'm switching to Mobil 1 for all my bikes. I went with a K&N oil filter this time. Look for a filter with a nut on the end. Real easy to get off that way.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Mobil-1 synthetic from wallyworld and bought a 3 pak of K&N 303 filters off of fleabay

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
I go to WalMart and pick up Shell Rotella 15w-40. It's an excellent heavy duty oil that is also rated for motorcycles. Filter is WalMart ST7317 or ST6607.
+1 on the Rotella. Very popular on the GS Suzuki forum that I also belong to and I will use on V once it is completely broken in.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM

i just changed to valvoline motorcycle oil the other day, it seems to shift a lot smoother now although it may just be placebo. I think my next oil change will probably be to rotella synthetic.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 AM
DR_

Autozone Mobil 1 M110 filter and Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w40 oil.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM

There's quite a bit more information and discussions about filters and oil in previous threads, including the quality of various filters.

Based on that, I also use the Walmart filters (ST7317), which are so cheap I change the filter with every oil change, and the Mobil-1 Racing 4T oil (you can sometimes find it at Walmart but I usually have to go to Autozone and they always have it).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM

GREAT Deal on Purolator PL14610

Hi Guys...

Amazon has them for only $6.76 each. If you order 4 that brings total to
just over $25. so shipping is FREE.

Then Purolator has a rebate program going. You can buy up to 4 and
get $3.00 each. So your final cost per filter is around $6.
They also fit my '09 Honda CRV and many other bikes and cars.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...cialoffer.aspx

Ride safe... Dave

Dave from sunny Eastern Oregon

Edit/Delete Message
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM

More information about filters here, including some info about Purolator filters.

I think the Walmart filter is just over $2.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
+ 1
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
ap0

I picked 3 quarts of Valvoline motorcycle oil and a Bosch 3300 filter at AutoZone for about $20.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Walmart for Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic...just switched over to it after break-in.
Still using up the Kawasaki filters I bought with the bike...will probably change to different filter on next oil change.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous13 View Post
For those that do their own oil changes, where do you get your oil and filter? What filter do you recommend? What oil? I'd like to support my local shop if possible, but I want to make sure they're selling me quality stuff first.

My Versys commutes about 30 miles per day on a 65mph highway, if that makes a difference in your recommendation. Thanks!
I use Castrol Synthetic 5W-40 I buy in a 4L jug at my local Walmart or auto parts store. Same oil I use in my VW diesel. Just avoid any oil labeled "Energy Saving" with the Energy Saving logo. This means it has friction modifiers added that will cause the wet clutch to slip. With the aforementioned exception car oil and bike oil are the same thing. As for filters you can buy these anywhere. I've read cheap Fram filters are crap - lots of filter comparisons on the Internet and this site. I would not be surprised to find Kawi filters are just rebranded filters from one of the larger manufactures. No need to change your oil any more frequently than what the manual recommends.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-15-2011 at 07:53 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Awesome everyone. Thanks for all the good pointers. I'm only at 246 miles so far, but 600 is around the corner and I want to be prepared.Thanks!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oils of W-40 viscosity and higher are not energy conserving rated, but may still contain friction modifiers... JASO MA (high friction applications) oils as recommended by Kawasaki are specifically formulated for wet clutch and tranny combined with engine.
Shell's Rotella T 15W-40 and synthetic T6 3W-40 are JASO MA certified and reasonably priced in gallon jugs... I get my Amsoil synthetic AFF 0W-40 by the case for about the same price as Rotella T6 with secret promo code from http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/aff.htm, and it's at my door in a couple days for about 40% less than from Canadian Tire.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM

This is a great thread. I was looking into what filter to use on the V and you guys and calsci made my decision for me.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode