Evotech Radiator Guard does not fit 2011 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
UPDATE: Evotech Radiator Guard DOES fit 2011 w/ new Kit.

I ordered the evotech radiator guard from Ebay. It was advertised as fitting all years, but it looks like the design of the radiator mounts on the 2011 are different than the 2010 and earlier. Here are a couple of pictures of how my radiator is mounted. Will someone with a 2010 confirm that theirs is different please.

UPDATE: Garry at Evotech and I worked together to come up with the extra parts needed to install the Evotech radiator guard on the 2011 Versys. All new kits will come with the spacers and longer fasteners.

See last photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 radiator 01.JPG (220.0 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg 2011 radiator 02.JPG (201.6 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4248.jpg (353.5 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 06-28-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Updated information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It fits my 2011 V just fine.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Here ya go.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=evotech

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The link is showing the bottom connectors at the front of the radiator. mine are in the back just like the top connector.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Does the bottom of your radiator look like mine in the photos? My connections on the bottom of the radiator are just like the connections on the top, yet the cover is just like the link to the 2010 install.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 AM

My 2011 radiator connectors look the same as yours. I know for sure, the 2009 model is different from the 2011.

You may need a longer bolt with an extra couple of nuts on each to act as a spacer judging from the pictures.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:

Last edited by 2daMax; 06-13-2011 at 02:56 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I found your old post where you had to visit the hardware store to fit it to your bike.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15194

$94 spent and then have to go to the hardware store? That's not right. They should not advertise for the 2011 or send the adapters needed to mount it. Not all of us have an Ace hardware nearby and definitely not one with a motorcycle section.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Yeah, I found your old post where you had to visit the hardware store to fit it to your bike.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15194

$94 spent and then have to go to the hardware store? That's not right. They should not advertise for the 2011 or send the adapters needed to mount it. Not all of us have an Ace hardware nearby and definitely not one with a motorcycle section.
I forgot about the Ace trip. Quite often, I find you have to do a little McGyvering to get even stuff made specifically for our bikes to work.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:

The Evotech radiator guard fit my 2011 perfectly. The quality is excellent. Seems like OP is not used to normal hassles of aftermarket parts not from OEM.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
The Evotech radiator guard fit my 2011 perfectly. The quality is excellent. Seems like OP is not used to normal hassles of aftermarket parts not from OEM.
If you have to buy extra parts to make an item fit then it does not fit perfectly. The quality of the guard is indeed excellent. I have never had to modify an aftermarket part designed for any of my Kawasaki motorcycles to make it fit.

Having to go down to the Ace hardware after spending $94 is not acceptable to me. If it is acceptable to you then that is why vendors keep doing it.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been in touch with Evotech. I am going to take some photos of the guard held up against the radiator this evening to send to them.

This may not help me with my recent purchase, but should hopefully help those who come behind me.

I'll keep you all posted.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

The motorcycle section remark was a bit of a joke. I say I'm going to the aviation section of Ace Hardware when I need a screw for my Cherokee. Drives my mechanic crazy.

Thanks for getting with Evotech. I liked their fender eliminator too.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The motorcycle section remark was a bit of a joke. I say I'm going to the aviation section of Ace Hardware when I need a screw for my Cherokee. Drives my mechanic crazy.

Thanks for getting with Evotech. I liked their fender eliminator too.
yeah, I kinda figured that. I have to go to a lowes and search through their custom drawer. It would be nice to have an Ace where I just walk in and say I want one of these but longer.

Does the Eveotech fender elimiator mount up without any extra parts or mods?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
yeah, I kinda figured that. I have to go to a lowes and search through their custom drawer. It would be nice to have an Ace where I just walk in and say I want one of these but longer.

Does the Eveotech fender elimiator mount up without any extra parts or mods?
It sure does. I sent you the pictures of the windshield you requested and you should be able to see what it looks like without the fender.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
If you have to buy extra parts to make an item fit then it does not fit perfectly. ... I have never had to modify an aftermarket part designed for any of my Kawasaki motorcycles to make it fit.
Perhaps I missed something but I thought Tony just had to buy a few nuts.

What "extra parts" did you have to buy and what you had to "modify"?

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Perhaps I missed something but I thought Tony just had to buy a few nuts.

What "extra parts" did you have to buy and what you had to "modify"?
This is what the radiator guard looks like against the radiator.

It looks like Kawasaki eliminated the original guard and mounting tabs at the front of the radiator. To mount the Evotech will require longer fasteners and spacers. Tony stated that he could not turn around the captive nuts. If that is the case then new nuts will also have to be purchased.

Not all of us live where we have ample supply of parts and fasteners. Plus, you spend almost $100 you should not have to make a trip to the hardware store to mount a part. I can understand if you are buying a part meant for another bike and making it work on your bike. But if the part is designed for your bike it should work first time. Am I the only one who expects this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 Versys w Evotech radiator guard 002.JPG (269.9 KB, 2069 views)
File Type: jpg 2011 Versys w Evotech radiator guard 005.JPG (103.6 KB, 572 views)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
It looks like Kawasaki eliminated the original guard and mounting tabs at the front of the radiator. To mount the Evotech will require longer fasteners and spacers. Tony stated that he could not turn around the captive nuts. If that is the case then new nuts will also have to be purchased.
I see what you mean. Looks like Kawasaki removed the bottom tabs that were on my 2010 (shown below). This photo is before the install. The two tangs shown below are missing from your 2011 machine.

Below is twowheelassicts 2011 photo (notice the tangs are missing where the guard is supposed to bolt up to)

Quote:
Not all of us live where we have ample supply of parts and fasteners. Plus, you spend almost $100 you should not have to make a trip to the hardware store to mount a part. I can understand if you are buying a part meant for another bike and making it work on your bike. But if the part is designed for your bike it should work first time. Am I the only one who expects this?
I agree. I rarely have aftermarket kits come in without a little bit of tinkering to make them work. My SW-Motech Alu-Rack had a metric 8 hole not properly tapped and my bolt would not work in it. I had to do buy a meteric 8 tap at the auto store and fix the threads. Yes this was a little aggrevating at the time, but now I have a metric 8 tap in my taps drawer for future use. Great excuse for another tool and a trip to the parts store. Also the satisfaction of making it work.

I feel your issue and frustration. Why don't you design a fix, take plenty of photos of the hardware you purchased and how you made it work and save others here the headache of coming up with the same solution? My guess is this is a cheap and easy fix. If I may suggest, try to use stainless steel fasteners all the way to be the most corrosion resistant.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
This is what the radiator guard looks like against the radiator....

It looks like Kawasaki eliminated the original guard and mounting tabs at the front of the radiator...

Not all of us live where we have ample supply of parts and fasteners...
Thanks for the clarification. To be honest, I thought you were being a little whiny (over just a couple of missing nuts) but now that I’ve seen what you’re talking about, you’re quite right.

I just looked at my ’10 and you’re correct, when Kawi omitted the lower guard plate on the ’11, they also did away with its lower mounting tabs (which the Evotech was designed to bolt to).

FWIW, with your setup (and assuming that they line up properly) you (and Evotech) might want to consider this:

Rather than removing the lower captive/clip nuts; replace the stock bolts with longer ones so that they extend thru the Evotech and then use spacers between the guard and the clip nuts – and acorn nuts (aka finishing nuts) on the front.

In this way, the lower radiator mounts could be properly torqued without having to need the precise length spacers (or risk crushing the radiator with the Evotech tabs) — and it would allow for somewhat easier removal of the guard (it’s a good idea to take it off occasionally & clean the bug stuff out of the radiator fins).

Good luck with Evotech. Hopefully they’ll include 2011 mounting hardware in the future. In the meantime, if you can’t find what you need (spacers, nuts, etc.) let me know and I’ll pick some up & mail ‘em to you.

PS Edit:

Dang Capn! You responded – and with pictures no less – while I was still under my bike!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 06-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys. Garry with Evotech and I are working together to find a solution. I am going to provide photos and measurements and he is going to make powdercoated aluminum spacers and proper fasteners to send to me.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks Guys. Garry with Evotech and I are working together to find a solution. I am going to provide photos and measurements and he is going to make powdercoated aluminum spacers and proper fasteners to send to me.
I sort of knew what I was getting into when I ordered the guard. It wasn't for a 2011, but I took a chance anyway that it would be the same as a 2010.

Can he send some to me too?

Last edited by G19Tony; 06-14-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode