clutch question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
clutch question

I played around with the clutch adjustments because I didn't think the way it clunked when I changed gears was right. After the adjustments, in 4th and 5th gear, the clutch would slip around 5000 rpms, I could back off the trhottle and it would be ok. I readjusted the clutch , now the bike will not start in gear with the clutch in and I can not put the bike in gear with it up on rear stand with it running. I've been riding it like this with no other problems. What do you think is wrong and what do I need to do to correct the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM

What you describe sounds like insufficient lever travel. Your lever can't move the entire range required to both fully release the clutch and fully depress it. This is usually just a problem with the adjustment as the lever and clutch arm geometry are designed to allow the full range of motion.

Set the adjuster on the bars to a middle or mostly screwed in position. Then using the adjuster down on the case adjust the play until there is only a tiny bit of free play in the lever when fully released. You don't want the lever tight, you want to be able to pull it back a short distance before it begins to engage the pressure plate. To confirm it's adjusted right put it on center stand and fire it up. Please be careful with this, it's very easy to bump the bike and have it careen off into something solid and expensive. Put the bike in gear and keep the clutch fully depressed. The rear wheel will probably start turning, if you can stop it easily with your foot or the rear brake and there is still a small about of free play in the lever when released then your clutch is now properly adjusted.

Good Luck,

Matt

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 10:44 PM

If I remember correctly as per the Service Manual the free play at the lever should be 3MM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuspacker View Post
... I readjusted the clutch , now the bike will not start in gear with the clutch in and I can not put the bike in gear with it up on rear stand with it running.
Not to overlook the obvious..., it wonít start in gear with the side stand down.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 PM

wow, very important to have some play in the cable. about the width of a nickel at the lever and perch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode