Is it normal... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it normal...

for the drive wheel to turn with the clutch engaged when up on stands? I was teaching my girlfriend to shift and clutch on my "Simulator" the other day and noticed when she would put it in gear while the clutch was engaged the rear wheel would start turning. And I notice the bike want to move when I put it in first with the wheel on the ground, it doesn't seem to matter what setting I use to engage the clutch either so I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour or not.

I need to tighten my chain and evaluate when I am swapping my tires this evening so I will do some checking on the bike then but if anyone knows one way or the other with this issue it would be awesome for some more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Perfectly normal providing you can easily stop it with your foot or the rear brake. It's viscous friction because of the oil between the plates as well as a little light contact. If it's hard to stop or it stalls when you do this something is wrong. In that case your clutch cable might be too loose and isn't retracting the pressure plate far enough. Another possibility is sometimes a type/brand of motor oil will make the plates stick together. Try a different oil and see if that helps. If all that is to no avail replace the plates, it's cheap and easy enough. Just make sure you order or can make a tool to remove the clutch basket.

On a side note I wouldn't let anyone sit on the bike and turn the tire with the engine while on center stand. All it takes is for her to lean back slightly, the rear tire makes contact and quickly launches the bike and your girl off center stand and into the wall.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Oh I had it braced and locked with the tire 3 inches off the ground and pointed out into the field. I was prepared for the possibility but I took measures. It's likely fine in that case as when it is on the ground it surges a tiny bit when I put it in gear but doesn't keep pushing or stall out. It was just a curiousity I had.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Yep. For the first thousand miles with the new clutch if you let my Nighthawk sit for longer than 20 minutes the clutch plates stick together. I either rock it in gear with the clutch in to free them or start it in gear with the clutch and put up with the bike lurching forward. If you start it in neutral the first time it's put into gear you get a loud CLACK for your trouble. Before they were changed it would sometimes lock where you'd have a constant pull sitting in gear at a light.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Ah that makes sense on the clunking I've been getting putting it into gear as well. I just did an oil change 200km ago so hopefully that wasn't the problem. Though I could just drain and refill if necessary.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM

It's fairly common to get a clunk when engaging first from neutral. It hurts nothing. To minimize it, just pull the clutch in, blip the throttle once, and engage first. This will free the clutch plates up.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Ah nice. I will try that out this evening.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

After tightening my chain and discovering my tires were lower than I thought I have corrected those issues and the bike feels just right again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode