not shifting smooth - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
not shifting smooth

I was rideing in the rain in a hurry and went into a ditch the other day. I was not hurt except for my pride. The bike seems to be fine but now it is not shifting as smooth as it did b4.

any sujestions b4 i start to open her up and look around forthe culprit.

Thanks for any consructive comments.

JET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Glad you weren't hurt.

Not sure which side you fell on. Did your run into the ditch bend the shifter or clutch lever? Did you get some dirt onto the clutch cable so it's binding? Did the clutch cable housing get bent so the cable doesn't slide freely? Is the clutch lever needing readjustment? Is the outside mechanism of the clutch (where the cable actuates the clutch inside the case) bent or misaligned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

i have gaurds and all the equipment that prettymuch keeps the bike from any damage and when i washed the mud off their is no visable problem.

but when i shift sometimes it takes a few tries to go into gear.

just looking for some insight of what to look for when open her up.

jet

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM

How hard did you hit? Do you think you knocked the shift lever at all? Regardless once you get the wet case off you can watching the mechanism while it shifts. That oughta at the very least give you an feeling as to where the problem lies. I just can't think of much internally that could cause that that isn't something big cracked or bent. Maybe it's just something that got knocked loose. Examine everything closely, shift mechanisms are precision clock work and something evenly slightly out of spec can stop the whole show. Let us know what you find.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys

Last edited by Stumpifier; 06-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Try checking the chain for proper tension. Are you due for an oil change? That's one of the signals.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Yeah, ditto on the oil change symptoms. Dun forget to check the oil level, it could be low.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, that gives me a starting place to look around. not breaking into her untill the next couple of weekends. i'll just have to ride gretchen my 35 yr old german thumper untill she is fixed, if she is even broken,i might be being a little critical of her cuz she still looks fine. jet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that when you went off-road you stomped on the shift lever at an inopportune time and damaged the shift fork. I am a greenhorn with transmissions however. Maybe somebody more expert could comment.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Are the gear shift and clutch levers properly adjusted? Shift lever height and clutch lever distance from the handlebar. Excessive chain slack may also be a factor.
Shifting improves as it breaks in, as well as with a synthetic oil change. My shifting is even better now at 6000 miles.

Last edited by invader; 06-09-2011 at 02:19 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
The only other thing I can think of is that when you went off-road you stomped on the shift lever at an inopportune time and damaged the shift fork. I am a greenhorn with transmissions however. Maybe somebody more expert could comment.
Greenhorn or not, what you described does happen during accidents or severely botched shifts. I've seen (and had) damaged shift forks, a slightly bent shift shaft rod and even the star selector damaged due to crazy situations on other bikes.

What's curious, is out of 30 years of owning/riding bikes, the only ones I've ever had transmission issues with were Suzuki. Odd coincidences..

Last edited by VersysJim; 06-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode