Frequent Chain Adjustment - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Frequent Chain Adjustment

Got back from a long trip, about 7,300km. On the last few days I found that my chain needed to be adjusted daily. The adjusters were not backing off, but each day the chain was noticably looser. Before this point I would only have to adjust the chain yearly (short season up here) or whenever I replaced a tire. I am going to be replacing the chain and sprokets right away, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this? Has anyone else noticed that when the chain and sprokets neared their life they wore very quickly at the end? The set of sprokets and chain have about 26,000km on them. And I use chain wax about every 500km. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, 26000 kms is pretty good... Yes, the chain does need to be adjusted more frequently near the end of chain drive's service life.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 AM

25k is about all I am getting out of a chain/sprocket set, and I lube mine about as often as you do yours. I haven't found the chain to need more adjusting towards the end of its life but it sure does get noisy. That was a long trip, where'd you go?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

We started in Calgary, rented a covered truck and drove to salt lake to start our bike trip. From there we drove to southern Utah (Zion National Park), then arizona (checked out the grand canyon and Sedona). Then headed into New mexico (checked out the cliff dwellings around silver city). Then headed south towards El paso and drove along the mexian border basically to Corpus Christi. On the way back we took a slightly more nothern route. Fantastic trip, had a very extreme mix of weather. The bike worked great, just the chain issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM

That sounds fantastic. How long did it take you?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

15 days on the bike, then we drove straight in the truck from salt lake to Calgary. So 7,300km on the bikes, and about 2,900km on the truck. We go on big trips every year, already looking forward to next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode