I feel a thump - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I feel a thump

This only started happening a week ago, and I have a strong suspicion that it is the chain and maybe just a stiff or frozen link. But when I decelerate, ONLY when i have the clutch pulled, I feel a repeditive thump or vibration. I thought maybe it could be the wheel but the chain seems more likely.

For the imagination impaired, it goes like this

FAST ='s thump, thump, thump, thump
Slow ='s thump,,,,thump,,,,thump,,,,thump,,,,thump

It is not very noticeable, I can feel it in my left foot and barely hear it and like I said, it is only when I am rolling with the clutch pulled. If I engine brake I cannot feel it.

So, magic pool of knowledge.... what is it?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You do keep the chain properly lubed and lube after any wet ride?

Did you check for a screw in the tire?

You might have to inspect the chain link by link.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Put it up on a stand and spin the wheel. Should be easy to tell if its the chain.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

well chalk me down for the dumbest question of the day.... thanks twowheel... it was the chain... i had cleaned it too well I guess and also I think had it too tight. So I applied my favorite lube TRI-FLOW and it is gone.

so the score goes:
common sense - 1
BAMF - 0

1997 KLR 650

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You are welcome.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM

In my experience, that thump is most likely coming back. The lube temporarily will hide the symptoms but once the chain is pooched, well it's pooched. I'm not trying to jinx you and I hope this isn't the case for you. How many miles on the chain now?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
In my experience, that thump is most likely coming back. The lube temporarily will hide the symptoms but once the chain is pooched, well it's pooched. I'm not trying to jinx you and I hope this isn't the case for you. How many miles on the chain now?
And also: Just how well did you clean the chain?

If you used aggressive solvents and a steel brush, you probably damaged the o-rings that hold the lube. Once that happens, there is no more captured lubrication for the chain and it is done.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

2600 miles, lubed and cleaned the chain at 850 miles, 1250, 1410, 1600, 1950, and 2546.
I used wd-40 sprayed on a rag and would wipe it down clean. And then apply PJ1 chain lube.

I seriously doubt its a gonner... this early in the game. And even if it is, it would be a warrantee'd item since I documented my service, right?

1997 KLR 650

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

i never sprayed any solvents on the chain, nor have I ever spray WD-40 directly on the chain. Always on a rag and then wiped off the excess.

This is what I used to clean the chain a couple time, before i started with WD-40. http://thebikeworks.com/product/pedr...3024-qc581.htm

again, NEVER putting it directly on the chain. I think it had to do with the chain tension as well as the chain being too dry (not enough lube) cause once I loosened it up and relubed it, it is gone now.

a factory chain has no master link right? So if that is true they have to cut it off... and if that is true, why couldnt then just use a master link to replace a frozen link?

1997 KLR 650

Last edited by BAMF; 06-06-2011 at 07:31 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM

You're right, with that low mileage I'm sure you'll be fine. Happy trails.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

i do have a quick question about chain tension... do you measure that 1 inch of play with the rider ON the bike? Cause that seems to make a big difference in the slack.

1997 KLR 650

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Chain slack is measured with suspension fully extended. Check how the tension varies as you rotate rear wheel, and adjust it at its tightest position.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

so called me a motard but... when you say fully extended do you mean like up on the stand or fully compressed like with the rider on the bike?

1997 KLR 650

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fully extended as opposed to fully compressed, in its tallest state, with the rear wheel furthest away from the fender, and the axle at its lowest position... Up on the rear stand, see if its fully extended by trying to lift the rear up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode