Small leak from tube by sidestand? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Small leak from tube by sidestand?

As usual, i rode my bike into uni today and parked up at about 11.30am. I came back to it at about 6.30pm and noticed a small splash of oil about 2" across by the sidestand. It appears to be coming from the small black tube that connects to the clear plastic bottle with the arrow on it (rather than the longer black tube). I can't seem to find out what the hell that tube is for, or why it might be leaking oil. It's only done 365 miles. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That should be your airbox drain tube. It starts at bottom of airbox, beside the crankcase vent. Some crankcase aerated oil is blown into bottom of airbox, and then drains into that hose. There should be a plug at end of hose, to be drained of oil or water when neccessary... Mine does stay dry though. How's your engine oil level once settled and cooled down, with bike held level and balanced upright? How many miles on your oil?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Oil has done the same as the bike, 365 miles. Will check oil level as usual tomorrow as it's too late now sadly.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM

So your oil level was ok when you checked it before, with the engine cold before starting it?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, i don't think i did check it today actually. I'm normally pretty good with that kind of thing too. Could it be anything to do with the oil being too full? The bike was sat outside in zero shade in 25c+ for seven hours this afternoon. Could this have made the oil expand and overflow a little?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
Hmm, i don't think i did check it today actually. I'm normally pretty good with that kind of thing too. Could it be anything to do with the oil being too full? The bike was sat outside in zero shade in 25c+ for seven hours this afternoon. Could this have made the oil expand and overflow a little?
Well, how was it the last time you checked it, and how did you check it? Too full could be a factor, yes.
No to your second question... That's nothing compared to normal operating temperature.
Just check the level again before starting it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

I've just been and checked now that the bike is completely cold. I pull the bike up to vertical and look in the round window, and after looking in the manual, i realised the oil should be between the 2 lines (previously i just thought there had to be oil, that'll teach me not to read the book). The window is completely full of oil once you have the bike upright for a few seconds, so my random musing was correct. Is it safe to ride like this or should i get it sorted straight away? Can i just drain off a little oil, or must it all go and be refilled? Bear in mind it's due the 600mile service very shortly, which will involve a full oil change anyway.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

To answer my own questions, yes it needs to be sorted, and yes i can just drain some oil off by syringing it out of the oil filler opening. It also sounds like having way too much oil could the culprit behind my terrible MPG figures (27 between my last 2 fillups)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 AM

How much you have to lean it to see the oil level, will give you an idea of how much to drain out. My new Versys had about 1/2 quart too much, which I let out by removing the drain plug for a few seconds... Take it down to proper level before starting it again, and try to measure how much oil you have to remove.
I'd just drain it and refill with new oil and replace the filter at your mileage already... I did at end of 1st day at 140 miles after a gradual Motoman style break-in, with acceleration runs up to redline by 100 miles.

Last edited by invader; 06-04-2011 at 05:54 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

The book says to syringe the oil out of the filler, so that's exactly what i'll do. I can accurately measure it that way too. I'm interested to know as it's clearly way too full.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Whatever turns your crank, mate.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

In the end i took out about 300ml of oil to get the level just underneath the top line, then did 110 miles on it and it felt really good. Job done i think. Thanks for your help, Invader!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Garage
Lungboy,

Did the bike come from the dealer that overfilled with oil?

I never appreciated the local* dealer that sold me the bike, but at least it had the right amount of oil (and the salesman was clear that this bike would not be too damaged when I dropped it - after I told him this was my first bike). Perhaps I will buy my next bike locally*.

* Local for me is more than 40 miles and about an hour away. There is an amazing lack of services in this town.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I got the bike second-hand from a dealer about 3-4 hours away, so definitely not local I have no idea whether they overfilled it, or whether the previous owner did it, or (most likely in my opinion) whether the original dealer did it and nobody noticed.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
I got the bike second-hand from a dealer about 3-4 hours away, so definitely not local I have no idea whether they overfilled it, or whether the previous owner did it, or (most likely in my opinion) whether the original dealer did it and nobody noticed.
Of course the dealer should have inspected the bike. and made sure it was ready for service. Glad you got it sorted out.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the post! I noticed the same spot of oil today beneath my new '11 after riding for an hour and a half to a small lake. I only have 225 km's on it, which is around 5 hrs of total riding in the mtns here. I guess I have to check my oil level in the morning. Really nice being able to get an answer without even asking a question. The magic of the Forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode