Water pump leak out of warranty...how much? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Water pump leak out of warranty...how much?

I thought I'd change the oil on this lovely day off and much to my surprise I noticed my water pump seal leaking (looks just like the very common issue on here).

The bike has just under 4k miles on it and I don't recall seeing the coolant splatter on the lower fairing the last time I pulled it off to change the oil 8 months ago.

So, this looks like the common problem reported on here. Unfortunately, my warranty expired 2 weeks ago Why the heck couldn't I have found the time to do this 2 weeks ago!

So...my question is, how easy of a fix is this if I were get the parts? How much are the parts? Would anyone venture a guess to how much it would be to have the dealer do it?

The coolant level does seem to be a little lower than it was when I bought it new last year, but it's still well within the lines. Am I ok just leaving it like this? Or does this need to be fixed soon?

Also, I've got the SW Motech engine guards installed, will those need to be removed to fix it?

BTW, thanks to any of you who have served or currently serve our country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Anyone? I'd really like to hear from any of you who've experienced this problem out of warranty.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Why not just call the dealership for pricing?

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
I thought I'd change the oil on this lovely day off and much to my surprise I noticed my water pump seal leaking (looks just like the very common issue on here).

The bike has just under 4k miles on it and I don't recall seeing the coolant splatter on the lower fairing the last time I pulled it off to change the oil 8 months ago.

So, this looks like the common problem reported on here. Unfortunately, my warranty expired 2 weeks ago Why the heck couldn't I have found the time to do this 2 weeks ago!

So...my question is, how easy of a fix is this if I were get the parts? How much are the parts? Would anyone venture a guess to how much it would be to have the dealer do it?

The coolant level does seem to be a little lower than it was when I bought it new last year, but it's still well within the lines. Am I ok just leaving it like this? Or does this need to be fixed soon?

Also, I've got the SW Motech engine guards installed, will those need to be removed to fix it?

BTW, thanks to any of you who have served or currently serve our country.
I've not done the job on this bike but I've done it on other Kawasakis. Pretty straight forward job as I recall. I have no idea what a dealer would charge. You'll need an oil seal PN 92049-0115 price $6.18. also you should replace the water seal PN 49063-1055 price $13.91. You should be able to do it in a couple of hours, and that's if you change the oil and coolant in the process. Just dive in there and do it.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you know for sure it is the water seal you have the skills to replace it.

I smelled a little coolant from my new Versys, and saw the signs on the inside of the frame, but mine turned out to be the hose connection.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm almost certain it's the water pump. The dealer charges $90/hour labor, so I'm going to learn how to do this myself.

So, now for the parts list. I believe I'll need:

Mechanical Seal - PN 49063-1055
Bearing Driver Set - PN 57001-1129 w/57001-1660 for oil seal (per service manual to remove Mech seal. Do I really need this?)
Oil Seal - PN 92049-0115
O Rings - 92055, 92055A, 92055B
Coolant
Hi Temp Grease

Is there anything else I need for this?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah. A tube of caulk to run a bead over the weep hole

I'm kidding. I'm kidding. You oughta be fine. A few owners reported retorquing the housing bolts solved their problem but if it's coming out of the weep hole then it's the mechanical seal. The seal is intended to leak slightly for lubrication but this seems to be a quality control or design issue. Just make sure you don't over torque those bolts (or under torque them) aluminum strips easily and helicoils suck.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

..."Helicoils" are a god send though......been using them for many years on work equipment and they do work.....but..by a torque wrench

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM

I've got a pair holding the wet case on my nighthawk on right now. Never been fond of the buggers. The pin breaks too early, I can't break the pin, it get set too shallow and now I can't get it out, ect. I prefer to drill out and retap to the next bigger size if the meat is available, if not drill it out and insert a pretapped plug. Just not a permanent repair in my mind.

Anyway. Stagehand, do you mind if I borrow your Trump/Palin comment there? I about wet myself.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm almost certain it's the water pump. The dealer charges $90/hour labor, so I'm going to learn how to do this myself.

So, now for the parts list. I believe I'll need:

Mechanical Seal - PN 49063-1055
Bearing Driver Set - PN 57001-1129 w/57001-1660 for oil seal (per service manual to remove Mech seal. Do I really need this?)
Oil Seal - PN 92049-0115
O Rings - 92055, 92055A, 92055B
Coolant
Hi Temp Grease

Is there anything else I need for this?
]
JC, I just had this done under warranty. Your parts list is nearly complete.
The 3 o-rings on my invoice are #92055-0083, #92055-1155, and #92055-0082.
There is also a gasket #11061-0107 listed.
My dealer lists .9 hours of [email protected] $85/hr, and the invoice total for the job was $133.52 including tax.

Alan
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtha View Post
JC, I just had this done under warranty. Your parts list is nearly complete.
The 3 o-rings on my invoice are #92055-0083, #92055-1155, and #92055-0082.
There is also a gasket #11061-0107 listed.
My dealer lists .9 hours of [email protected] $85/hr, and the invoice total for the job was $133.52 including tax.

Alan
Great, thanks for the info on the gasket too.

So far, with the mech seal, oil seal, 3 o-rings and gasket, the parts come out to $39.96 + $8.95 shipping if I go with BikeBandit. Add about $5 for grease, $10 for coolant and $30 for a bearing driver set (Harbor Freight) to install/remove the mech seal and I'm now up around $94 or so.

I might just swing it by the dealer. After looking at everything I may just have the dealer do it afterall.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info on the gasket too.

So far, with the mech seal, oil seal, 3 o-rings and gasket, the parts come out to $39.96 + $8.95 shipping if I go with BikeBandit. Add about $5 for grease, $10 for coolant and $30 for a bearing driver set (Harbor Freight) to install/remove the mech seal and I'm now up around $94 or so.

I might just swing it by the dealer. After looking at everything I may just have the dealer do it afterall.
I can understand you feeling this way and I don't blame you but there's another way of looking at this. If you go ahead and do it yourself you'll have the experience and the tools to do it the next time. And the time after that. And you'll know the coolant was actually replace rather than recycled. And that the job was done carefully and completely. Just a thought...

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode