Fuel pump issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel pump issues

First let me say that I have searched for some info on this with no luck. Second let me say that I have Hi-jacked my wife's account to get her bike fixed

OK here is the story, After getting the bike towed home tonight here is what I have found. Simply the bike will not start, goes thru all normal routines but I had a feeling that I did not hear the pump, so I took the tank off and tested voltage, didn't get it one time but then got it again? Might have been me not holding contacts properly? Took and reconnected the fuel lines and power the pump and the bike started and ran fine. Shut the bike down tried to re-start but no go again. Now if I dis-connect the fuel line and the plug I know I can get it to start again and stay running. I can not figure out how to get the DFI to do a self diagnose, but at the same time the FI light did not show any error.
I am wondering if it is an issue in wiring or maybe in the pump pressure system itself?

Any clues or hints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 AM

Is it under warranty and there is a downloadable manual to help
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

No it is not under warranty. I have the service manual but it is not helping me much? other then telling me to replace eveything. Bike is an 07 with about 27000kms on it everything cant be worn out already

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

After more testing it really seems like the pump. I do have good constant power at the pump but can not get it to run. Again when the tank is lifted and turned up on a weird angle the bike will run but if the tank is placed flat again the pump will not power. Took the pump out, checked continuity with all the wires from one end to the other, placed the pump back inside the tank, it powered up a few times weird sound from it and now will not power up at all. I have taken the pump back out and can not get it to power up on the bench. So I am going to try and see if I can get a pump form a bike wrecker first to save a few $$ then look at ebay/dealer if need be.

Any idea if any of the ninja pumps are the same as well? Or Just the ER?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok so a new fuel pump was ordered up, yes I know I could have got a used one on Fleabay but this is riding season and another 2-3 weeks to wait just to save $100... And with the install of the new pump the bike runs again. I will tear apart the old pump one of these days and see what makes it tick, or not tick right now. SO for now that will be the last of the hijacked wifes profile. Enjoy your bikes guys, I know she is
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As it's a 2007 like mine, your original fuel pump P/N is probably 49040-0010 if you check. It has since been superseded by P/N 49040-0026. Same pump as Ninja 650R and ER6...Testing fuel pump dry on the bench may damage it.

$194.16 from: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_selec...0026&x=75&y=23

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...tml#Question_7

Last edited by invader; 06-11-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in