Weekend trip = some problems - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Weekend trip = some problems

Went for a 400 mile ride this weekend. 200 there, 200 back. Started at 1200ft elevation / 95 degrees, went to 7000ft elevation / 65-70 degrees, about 35-40 at night. The sun was just setting as we arrived to the destination. Parked the bikes for a few hours while visiting friends. Got back on to go to the hotel. Everything seemed normal on my bike, except it wouldn't start. Tried it a couple times, but nothing. Started it again giving a little gas and it started, then stalled at idle. Tried a couple more times and was finally able to ride off and drive a few miles down the road to the hotel. Then the same thing when we got to the hotel. It wouldn't start unless I gave it some gas. In the morning, it took about 3 tries to start it again, then didn't have any problems the rest of the day or the trip home. This is the first time this has happened (it has been cold here too but it never had problems starting). My boyfriend's Vstrom didn't have any issues starting on the trip. I'm wondering if maybe the elevation change/temps had anything to do with the problem (?).
Changed the oil today as I rolled over the 3000 mile mark when we returned home.

Also, wondering if anyone has any tips for riding in very windy conditions? I find myself going into survival mode when I start getting blown out of my lane. My knees start to stick out involuntarily around curves and my grip could probably crush rocks. The majority of the trip was 75mph speed limit so cars are rolling by us at 85+ mph in their steel cages. The only thing we could do was slow down to about 55mph in some spots.

Here's a couple pics from the trip...
Sedona

Flagstaff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Would be suprised if the elevation change of temps was a problem on the fuel injected versys, one of the members of this forum has taken a versys to the highest road in the world at 18,000 feet with no problems I believe.

I do find because of the height of the versys it does move around in the wind and all you can do is slow down in my opinion

Should say nice pic's
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know fuel injection is not supposed to have problems in elevation change or temp changes, which is why I am a little confused. My boyfriend was saying it was probably just cold. But I dont think that was it. His was cold too, but no problems. And like I said before, it has been cold here in the winter, and it never did that before. I dont know if I should be that worried about it or not. Did another 100 miles today with no problems.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Rub

The best way to combat wind is to relax. Loosen your grip on the handlebars, relax your legs and ride. Be very dynamic and use body english. Relax. Slow your speed, slow your mind - many people have disaster scenes running through their heads in less than ideal situations. Relax. That works quite similarly to looking at what you are tying to avoid rather than where you want to go. Relax. Picture a pleasant end to your ride. Relax.

Rub
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
The best way to combat wind is to relax. Loosen your grip on the handlebars, relax your legs and ride. Be very dynamic and use body english. Relax. Slow your speed, slow your mind - many people have disaster scenes running through their heads in less than ideal situations. Relax. That works quite similarly to looking at what you are tying to avoid rather than where you want to go. Relax. Picture a pleasant end to your ride. Relax.

Rub

LOP
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM

What is your idle speed set at? I have noticed that on cold mornings when trying to start in first gear with the clutch in sometimes the bike will start turning over at very very low RPM and then die. In those conditions I now crack the throttle just a hair and as soon as it fires give it just a tinny more throttle; this technique as so far always worked. I believe at least in my case that my idle speed is set too low.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM

It looks like a nice ride through some pretty country! Sorry you had bike troubles though, bummer. I've never experienced starting issues with the V, can't really offer you help there. I'm glad it went away and you were able to continue the trip.
+1 on being light on the bars. With the death grip you are just feeding a lot of unneeded input into the bike. We get a lot of wind up here in the gorge (wind surfing capitol) so you get used to riding in it. The bike will self-steer into the gusts if you give it some slack.
Love the white Versys!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Very nice pics! I lived in mesa wayyy back when but was bikeless at the time. :-(

Maybe you just got some bad gas and it has run through your tank, but do check your idle speed as well.

As mentioned regarding the wind....try to relax and if it is really coming hard from one side or the other you can put your knee into the wind or lean into it as you get more comfortable and see what works for you.

http://ridingsafely.com/conditions3.html

Keep the pics coming!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM

+1 on loosening up on the grips in the wind.

You may have water in your fuel? Try the "blue" gasoline stabilizer / dryer. It usually works.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Not to de-rail, but that V looks damn good in white. I am impressed.

This might be all in my head...but...I'll tellya what works for me.

As far as windy riding, yeah...it's sorta like riding a horse. You have to loosen your grip on the bars and use your knees to grip the tank more - doing that with the knees will actually cause you to relax your arms some. Don't try to crush the tank, just keep enough pressure on to feel it. It will also cause more of the weight to go to your core and to the pegs.

I had to make a conscious effort to do that for months, but it has been well worth it. When you do this, you actually have more control of the bike, in my opinion - you feel more connected to the center of gravity, I think.

And BECAUSE you're more connected to the CG, small adjustments for the wind become much easier. You can't really fight the wind too much, but you do need to give yourself some room and just sorta ride with it. If it's really gusty, then slow down, so you're not over-controlling and making yourself nervous.

Final suggestion - horrible wind can be really distracting. You might consider changing windshields for really windy days. Simplest way to do that is to have a MadStad bracket and a few different shields. The MadStad makes changing the windshield a 5-minute process, and gives you all the adjustability you would want for a given shield.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchustlr View Post
Also, wondering if anyone has any tips for riding in very windy conditions? I find myself going into survival mode when I start getting blown out of my lane. My knees start to stick out involuntarily around curves and my grip could probably crush rocks. The majority of the trip was 75mph speed limit so cars are rolling by us at 85+ mph in their steel cages. The only thing we could do was slow down to about 55mph in some spots.

Here's a couple pics from the trip...
Sedona

I have to add to the ones saying to relax, your grip AND you. The bike wants to move around and, by fighting it, you're setting up for a fall, because it HAS to move, and falling may be the ONLY move it can do if you have a "death-grip" on it. The same procedures work on dirt/ gravel, and standing on your footpegs when things feel a bit 'hairy' WILL give you more control (along with 'loosening up'), as it lowers your center of gravity quite a bit, making the bike more stable.

BTW, is the lake picture Mormon Lake?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
BTW, is the lake picture Mormon Lake?
I'm betting Lake Mary. Mormon Lake never has that much water or water buoys for boats....

Regarding hard starting. I'll go with some type of bad gas. I've been from top to bottom here in AZ and never have a starting issue, cold or warm.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Do you use a lambda bypass module? That's not all that helpful at high altitudes.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM

A motorcycle will always lean into the wind. It does it to restore equilibrium, and if you fight it, it will change lanes at best, at worst you'll hit something and drop it. Relax. You're not going to fall over. You'll just remain leaned over and pointed straight down the road.

What happens is that without wind, the only force acting on the bike is gravity, and it remains upright. With a side wind, we now have a second force acting at right angles to the original force, which makes the bike unstable. The bike will now lean into the wind until both forces are equal and stability returns.

The angle of lean is the resultant vector of the force of gravity and the force of the side wind.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
Do you use a lambda bypass module? That's not all that helpful at high altitudes.
There's no lambda sensor on US models. They run straight speed/density mode, open loop.

Regarding the hard starting, it's probably over-rich at altitude, and cracking the throttle open would lean it out enough to fire.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 05-17-2011 at 01:07 PM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM

I've only had a problem with the Versys starting once. It was at about 8k feet elevation, in the tropics, and I'd just had an oil change down at sea level, where the only oil available was a 50 weight variant. It was cold that morning, probably around 38 degrees. The bike was fine once it was warmed up, and as the day did likewise. I'm pretty sure the problem was the oil viscosity, not fuel delivery system.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Some friends went to Ticlio here in Peru @ 16,000 feet with no problems... just the normal lack of power because the low oxygen rate, but the V's were just fine. No problems to start although the very cold weather up there... It's strange because any problem with the moto should be constant no matter where you are, now the computers sets everything like O2, temp, etc.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and tips!
As for the wind:
I am able to relax my grip and hug my knees in after I realize how tense I am.
My little spoon of a windshield is a problem I know, I have been trying to get a good deal on a taller one for a while now, still looking.
As for letting the bike drift with the wind, I do that, until there is a car next to me. And I slow down, until there is a huge 18 wheeler behind me. I have no problem being at a 45 degree angle while going straight, its mostly the curves that get me. And I know the cars around me are oblivious to what is going on with my bike, and they cant even feel the wind, so they have no idea my bike is drifting towards them.
If there was a better alternate route we would have taken it, I am so sick of the I-17 already. But the alternate routes we could have taken would have been equally if not more windy.
Fortunately, the wind was not bad at all on the way there, only the way back, so this stretch of road was an amazing ride. I had the biggest grin on my face after climbing this mountain (I totally out rode my boyfriend)

As for the hard start:
The bike has not been stored for any period of time. I ride it almost daily.
I wont worry too much about it for now. My bike is due for a valve check so I will mention it to the shop when I take it in soon.

And the lake pic was from Upper Lake Mary. Lower Lake Mary is looking pretty sad these days. I was told they used all the water to put out some fires last year.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchustlr View Post

I know fuel injection is not supposed to have problems in elevation change or temp changes
A friend and his wife did the Pan American on two BMW F650 GS's. They had a terrible time at high altitudes in cold weather getting their bikes started. Both are fuel injected, tho' they are the earlier single spark engines. They never really got to the root of the problem either.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I'm betting Lake Mary. Mormon Lake never has that much water or water buoys for boats....

Regarding hard starting. I'll go with some type of bad gas. I've been from top to bottom here in AZ and never have a starting issue, cold or warm.
You know - it's funny! When I saw your pic I thought "Lake Mary" or "Mary Lake", but couldn't quite be sure, so I hit Mapquest for Flagstaff then opened the scale till I found the lake, SE of Flag, and it said "Mormon Lake" so that's what I put in my post.

We drove right by it heading back to Canada on the 3rd of April.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode