Help! weird clutch problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help! weird clutch problem

I was driving around town today and everything was fine, but then i went to downshift and all of a sudden there seemed to be a ton of slack in my clutch, like over an inch of slack in the clutch, now i know for a fact that it was ok when i left because i checked it, but im not really sure what happened. i tightened it back up to about the amount of slack it had before and now the friction zone seems really short. does anyone have an idea as to what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Ton of slack: Is your cable fraying, and now holding on to the last few strands?

Friction zone really short: Ehmm.... no idea. Is the friction zone back in the middle? If not, where is it now, when the clutch handle is close to the grip, or when it is almost all the way out?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

the cable doesnt seem to be fraying and the friction zone is now way close to the farthest it can be from the handlebar...i went for a ride a second ago and im starting to get used to it but its still a bit disconcerting it all of a sudden happened

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 PM

A sudden 1" increase in slack says that something slipped on the cable connections - assuming the clutch is working ok. (I assume that the clutch would not disengage if you had an inch of slack.) Sounds like you already checked both ends of the cable connections carefully. If you can't find anything, I'd remove the cable completely and inspect carefully. Whatever it is will find the worst time (for you) to fail in a way difficult to fix on the road. Might be worth having a spare cable on board, too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Where the cable attaches to the adjustment wheel at the clutch lever you will see a 2 inch long hard plastic sleeve covering the cable. This sleeve often separates from the knurled adjustment wheel causing the exact problem you are experiencing, and its often intermittant. Make sure the plastic sleeve is securely set into the adjustment wheel.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Could you take a pic of this part?I looked and I didn't see anything
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM

You might check your "thumb screw" on the clutch handle. Maybe it slipped around causing you excess clutch play.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
From where you say your 'friction point' is now, I'd say you should loosen the thumb wheel again to get the correct play back. NOW it's too tight.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

the problem is that when i loosen the thumb screw, it doesnt really do anything because the lever is just stopping and its not picking up the slack, i have to push the lever back out to pick up the slack. maybe ill take a video later to see if anyone can see what im talking about
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Try checking if the clutch spring is broken or weak.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

its not broken, i guess it might be weak, ill order a new one and see if that helps..you mean the one on the top of the clutch cover right? or the clutch springs inside?

Last edited by fineout; 05-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
There've been several threads about the various frame/ wire areas that the clutch cable passes thru being slightly bent so that they 'capture' and hold the cable from moving freely(particularly the one on the right of the steering head near the lower frame tube): suggest you look there.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

found out the problem while riding today, the thumb screw is loostening itself as i go along..not really sure how but thats definately whats happening
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineout View Post
found out the problem while riding today, the thumb screw is loostening itself as i go along..not really sure how but thats definately whats happening
yep, that's what I said.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Garage
Took some PCP before going out this morning ?

LOP
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

^???
i just hadnt realized that the slack was slowly adding up, it seemed sudden but i guess it wasnt, mostly because i was in town so i hadnt really pushed forward on the clutch lever i pretty much had my hand on it a lot of the time so it was always tight.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM

That thumb wheel has a slot in it that a screwdriver will fit in; use that to snug it up once you get the adjustment right. Slightly beyond finger-tight is what you're going for here.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It simply wasn't obvious until slack became excessive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode