Slack in the kickstand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Slack in the kickstand

Is the slack in the kickstand on the V normal? [put down the kickstand, then the bike leans over abit more, the bolt isn't loose under there i checked] Is it there because the V is so tall?

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Mine also does a little dance at times when I put it on the stand. Makes me a bit nervous that it's going to snap off one day. Is it normal? I honestly don't know, but I don't recall it with other bikes I've had.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Mine does the same too... but so did my 84 Honda VF 750 Interceptor.
A little un-nerving when you are leaning on it.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

It looks built in when you get down under there and look that is why i have not thought too much about it. Just thought I would ask. Plus the metal is very thick there so i doubt the previous owner would have been able to bend that slack into the pieces that pinch the kickstand.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That slack is normal. I usually pull it out with my foot. I did add a larger homemade welded flatfoot, which also made it the right length.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That slack is normal. I usually pull it out with my foot.
+1

I pull it away from the bike before I put weight on it. It stays put after that.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Unhappy Cause of Slack

I think that the slack develops when an individual sits on the bike while it is only supported by the kick stand. The weight of the rider and bike only supported by the kick stand bends/stretches the kick stand and the kick stand mounting bracket. It is not as strong as a center stand would be. I believe that the stand was engineered to support the weight of the bike only.
"This is my story and I am sticking with it!"

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Garage
I have the slack too, and I do like Invader and pull it out with my foot. I had the dealer inspect it when I took the bike in for the break-in service, and they said it was working the way it should.

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM

Mine has always had slack. But I pivot/rotate mine on the stand. This has appeared [upon disassembly], to have egged the kickstand bore out a bit. I'm keeping an eye on it, but it obviously leans over further than any other Versys it has been parked next to. Sooner or later I'll have to repair this. If you think yours might be leaning further than it used to, back off the jam nut and make sure the bolt is torqued. then re- tighten the jam nut.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
I think that the slack develops when an individual sits on the bike while it is only supported by the kick stand. The weight of the rider and bike only supported by the kick stand bends/stretches the kick stand and the kick stand mounting bracket. It is not as strong as a center stand would be. I believe that the stand was engineered to support the weight of the bike only.
"This is my story and I am sticking with it!"
My bike did that after they took it out of the crate and assembled it, so there goes your theory. Sorry dude

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Mine does the same thing. Has always done the same thing and after 36,000 miles it still catches me by surprise sometimes..........usually when I'm loaded down.

For the first year, everytime I took it to the dealer for servicing I had them "check the sidestand for looseness". They "tightened it" but it made no difference.

I've replaced the bolt and nut, no effect. It's a shoulder bolt that threads into the frame flange, so it will only tighten so much and the nut is just a retainer.

I bought a brand new sidestand, bolt and nut.........put them on same thing!

It appears that the angle between the sidestand channel and the frame mounting flange are off. My option is to have the stand channel modified to better fit the frame flange, the shoulder on the sidestand bolt will also need to be replaced. Spacers/washers wont work because the clearance is angled and not constant around the rotation/pivot of the bolt.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I get up on the foot peg and swing my leg over to get on and off the bike due to the panniers and top case. It seems solid enough when I do this but always wonder if I am over stressing the stand...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I get up on the foot peg and swing my leg over to get on and off the bike due to the panniers and top case. It seems solid enough when I do this but always wonder if I am over stressing the stand...
Same here

At first, I was worry for the peg, now I'm worry for the peg AND the stand

LOP
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Same here

At first, I was worry for the peg, now I'm worry for the peg AND the stand

LOP
I have no worries about the peg, its designed to be stood on but the side stand I'm not so sure
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have no worries about the peg, its designed to be stood on but the side stand I'm not so sure
Don't know if it was a hoax, but if you do a search, someone had a broken peg bracket to show off a little while ago (maybe 8 months ago I think)

Their's the source of my worry

LOP
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Most every bike I've seen has a little bit of slack in the side stand. It's there to provide a little warning when planting the stand before placing all the bikes wieght on it. If you think about it with a ridgid stand you wouldn't normally be looking for the peg to touch the ground before letting go. If the stand is up and your brain is expecting the stand to hold the bike there won't be any warning before touch down.

Kind of like walking in your house at night trying to miss the kids Lego, you feel around in the dark before puting a foot down.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Mine has been a bit flaky since new. I quickly learned to give the foot an extra kick forward when I got off the bike to make sure it was settled properly. With my left foot pushing the foot forward, my left hand on the handlebar and my right hand on the grab frame, I give the bike a very firm pull to establish that it's solid.

The V seems to not really like being on the stand and can drift forward easily and fall over. So I always have it in first gear when it's on the stand for extra security.

This is the first bike I've owned in over 40 years that I've had to be so careful with on the stand.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM

I too was a little disconcerted when I first got my V with how the side-stand worked. I also have a C14 and so I paid attention when I was using the stand on it and it was solid and did not slide/move when I put weight on it.

As I got to examining the two sidestands for differences I noticed that the V has the spring on the back side while the C14 has the spring on the front side. I also noticed that both stands have the same amount of slop in them. It's just that the C14 spring pulls the stand away from the bike so the slack is already taken up before the weight is put on it and the V spring pulls the stand towards the bike so that when the bikes is placed on the stand the weight causes the slack to be taken up, and thus the moving.

When I discovered that both stands had the same amount of play I figured this was by design and stopped worrying.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
when i first got mine. thats how i had to get on due to an injury. my bike developed a deep lean.to have it at the correct lean i had a 2.5inch piece of wood under the flat foot when parked in the garage. just recently had it checked and where the stand connects was bent as well as the stand where the bolt goes through. had them both bent back still leans alittle but didn't want to over do it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Not quite on topic, but I highly suggest one of these.

http://motowerk.com/Flatfoot.aspx

I've had one since almost new, stops the tiny stock base slowly sinking into gravel or sand. It also makes it a lot more stable. Make sure you get the year specific flatfoot.

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode